Colonna Palace

Colonna Palace Hotel
Travelocity Booking.com AMOMA.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Perfect Location

This is absolutely the perfect location to stay in while in Rome. You really are walking distance to everything, I never took public transportation the entire time I was there because it wasn't necessary (and I enjoy a good walk). About a 5 minute walk to the Trevi Ft, 10 min to Spanish Steps, you're practically around the corner from the Pantheon. Short walk to the Forum/Colosseum. And it only took about 20-30 minutes to walk to St. Peter's Square. There is a big bus terminal nearby if you need a bus in Pza San Silvestro & you're a 10 minute walk from Spagna metro stop. The staff is very very helpful, perfect English. The hotel is beautiful, and the biggest room I have ever had in Europe. The room had a really high ceiling and the bathroom was bigger than my bathroom in my apt at home. Free breakfast (and they can make you cappucino in the breakfast room if you want it). You're across from Parliament so there are always police around which is kind of nice at night. And you're about a block from Giolitti if you need a gelato fix. Well worth the money.

Unique Quality: Great view from the rooftop terrace at breakfast. It looked like there was a jacuzzi or something up there too, but I was there in March so it was a tad chilly to spend too much time on the roof. Price is a little less in the offseason.

Directions: next to Piazza Colonna (column of marcus aurelius)

• Colonna Palace Hotel

Unique Quality: Located in the center of Rome, you are within walking distance to nearly every site that you would want to see. The Column of Marcus Aurelius is around the corner. The Pantheon is a block away. Even the Forum is only a five-minute walk. The staff is incredibly friendly and speak perfect English. Rooms are elegant, clean, spacious, and very luxurious. On the roof, there is a garden and a spa, allowing incredible views of all of Rome during their complimentary breakfasts.

Directions: Piazza Montecitorio (directly facing the Italian Parliament building in the heart of central Rome)

More about Colonna Palace

Galleria Palazzo Colonna - Colonna Palace Gallery

by abarbieri

This is one of the most exclusive places in Rome where to arrange great big events and gala dinners. Also the Princess Isabelle Apartment can be rented for this purpose.

However individuals do have the possibility to visit it every Saturday morning (9am-1pm) all year around but not in August. Access to the Palace will be from Via della Pilotta 17.

Find out more about the real cannon ball you see on the steps of the gallery!!

Piazza Montecitorio

by von.otter

Piazza Montecitorio, which means “welcoming hill,” is at the very center of the Italian capital. Ancient Roman centurions would gather to vote on this hill. Today this political tradition continues. Since 1871 Palazzo Montecitorio has housed Italy’s lower house of Parliament, the Chamber of Deputies. The palazzo was built in 1650 by Gianlorenzo Bernini for Pope Innocent X, who gave it as a gift to the family of his predecessor, Pope Gregory XV.

The obelisk at the center of Piazza Montecitorio dates from the 6th century BC; it was carved for Psamtik I. Augustus found it in Heliopoli; when he brought it to Rome it caused a great stir. In the Campus Martius, not far from its present location, it was used to form the needle of a giant sundial: bronze markers, set into the paving, marked the seasons, months and days. Pope Pius VI had it placed in this piazza in 1792. Unlike other obelisks in the Eternal City, it is surmounted not by a crucifix but by a gnomon and ball.

Because the piazza is traffic-free, it is very peaceful. And because there are always guards on duty at the Chamber of Deputies the area is quite safe. When we visited in late 2000-early 2001 there was a revival cinema in one corner of the square. Two hotels sit along the plaza’s edges, the Albergo Nazionale and the Colonna Palace Hotel.

Perfect!!!

Try ReservationItaly for discounted rates.
Great hotel, great location. Comfortable room and friendly people. I don't want to say too much or there won't be room next time I head to Rome. Definitely will want to stay at Hotel Colonna Palace again.

Great Hotel, Great Location

Stayed at the Colonna Palace end of September 2004. What a great hotel! King size bed was very comfortable. Good sized bathroom. Very clean and comfortable. Buffet breakfast on the roof was great. Fritatta, hard boiled eggs, hams, cheeses, home made croissants, coffee cake, fresh fruit and juices. Go up to see the view at night. St. Peter's Basilica is in lights and is just beautiful. The location of this hotel is awesome, so close to everything. We walked to everything except the Vatican (we took a taxi). We were not afraid at all, so many Italian police around. Francesco at the front desk was very nice and friendly, the others a bit less friendly. The elevators worked fine and the cool breeze from our open window was wonderful. Our room was over an alleyway, a bit noisy, but we were so tired at the end of the day, it didn't matter. We had no problem with security as we locked our valuables in the hotel safe. Trattorias, Pizzerias and Ristorantes are abundant, all very good and close by. Just got home from Italy yesterday, but I wish I was still there. Can't wait to go back and will definitely stay in this hotel again!

great location and quiet

We booked 2 double rooms at the colonna palace hotel 7/3/05 for 2 nights, and after having read other hotel reviews in Rome over booking seemed very common and so we sent an email a couple of days prior to check and received an immediate confirmation back. On arrival we were immediately checked in by very helpful staff who spoke good english, offered sight seeing advice and produced maps without being asked. Our rooms were next door to each other and were very pleasntly decorated, very warm with independent temperature control, with good shower, and of a good size. The breakfast was served on the top floor and there was a very nice rooftop garden where you good eat breakfast or just enjoy the view. The breakfast was typically continental, but a good choice and frequently topped up.
The location was great, near the Trevi fountain, Piazza Novona and Pantheon, with numerous bars and restaurants close by. The hotel is directly opposite the government buildings in a traffic free square and so is lovely and quiet and as there are plenty of police on duty you feel incredibly safe. Would definetly stay there again.

Great hotel, lovely situation

by TripAdvisor Member Tinks2004

Just got back from Colonna Palace and thoroughly agree with most of the reviews on here. Above average hotel which is excellently situated for walking to most of the Rome tourist must sees. Stayed for 4 days and never used a bus or a train - even St Peters was only a 20 minute stroll away (and you can see the dome from the rooftop breakfast terrace. Yes, we managed to eat breakfast outside at the end of November, and no problem with the seagulls or pigeons. Attentive staff, from escorting us to our rooms, ordering a taxi to get to the station and the barman had a great time persuading us to try his local wines on our last night there - nice people. Good sized room overlooking the Italian Parliament and a feeling of security with police regularly visiting the hotel for coffee and chat! The room was cleaned thoroughly every day and had large bed, hot shower and mini bar without extortionate rates - nice in a capital city. We booked through hotelnet.com and found theirs the best rates on internet, 3 nights cost us just over £220 for 2 which I thought very reasonable. I would recommend this site for its rates, we've also used them for Paris and Barcelona in recent years and they've come up trumps every time.

Just a word of warning about Rome. Pickpockets are everywhere unfortunately. I had done my homework so was aware of their tricks and one did try it on when we visited the Forum. A quick growl at her did the trick, but a Spanish lady we met at the hotel had had her bag snatched immediately she arrived at Termini station and lost her travellers cheques, passport etc. Considering the number of police we saw patrolling (especially around the Forum) I'm surprised this is such a problem. Personally I wouldnt stay anywhere around the Termini area. Be aware of personal security but dont let it spoil your holiday.

However, I loved Rome, my first visit in 25 years. I wont leave it so long before visiting again. Warsaw next.........

Centre of Power

by TripAdvisor Member sarah123

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in June 2004. The location was excellent, just across from the parliament building, on a pedestrianised square, and centrsl to most of the sights. However, the standard was not as high as you would expect for this price and rating. It was obviously nice once, but now is old and tired and in need of refurbishment - one of the two lifts was broken throughout my stay. Although the sqaure was quiet, the alleyway behind the hotel was very noisy - try to get a room only facing the square at the front of the hotel. Breakfast was served on the roof terrace, with fantastic views of Rome and the Colosseum. The range of food was reasonable (cereal, baked apples, cooked breakfast from the buffet, hams, cheeses) but be prepared to fight off the seagulls and the pigeons who roam any unattended tables. The hot tub on the roof was filthy and slimy, although the birds enjoyed it.
The staff were generally very helpful and friendly. Be sure to use their car service which is better value & more reliable than the taxis or public transport to the airport. Most of the staff speak good English.

Great location and comfortable rooms

This hotel is located within easy walks to Panthenon and the Treve Fountain. The large plaza in the front of the hotel gives you breathing room while in Rome. I traveled there with my 85 year old Mother for her once in a lifetime trip to Rome. The hotel staff treated us wonderfully. They went out of their way to make sure my Mother was comfortable. The breakfast buffet was a perfect way to start our days. I plan to return to Rome with my wife and 3 daughters and stay at the Colonna Palce again.

Hotel Information - Colonna Palace

by DRothstein

Any first-hand reviews or information on Colonna Palace? We're headed there in November.

Any information is appreciated!

Re: Hotel Information - Colonna Palace

by mccalpin

Like all hotels in Rome, I have no first-hand knowledge of the place - so why am I answering, you ask?

Because the location (if the maps at it.yahoo.com are correct) is smack in the middle of town. I was puzzled by one website that claimed that it was near Piazza di Spagna - it must be a half a kilometer away, and you'd have to walk by the Trevi Fountain and all that shopping off the Via del Corso to get to the Piazza di Spagna.

But, places like the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Piazza del Popolo, Ara Pacis, the Via del Corso, the as-noted Trevi Fountain, Piazza di Venezia, etc, etc, are all within a short walk...I hope you enjoy the location!

Bill