Columbus Hotel Rome

alza's Profile Photo

An old palazzo by St.Peter's Square

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 16, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Columbus in May 2010 but never wrote a review because I lost the photos I took during my stay.
Today, four years later, I was able to read the data on a memory card which I'd been told was "broken"... I found photos of the hotel and can't resist adding them to my Rome page. It will give me a chance to sing the merits of this beautiful late medieval palace which became Hotel Columbus in 1950.

In 2010, my plan was to spend 2 days/2 nights in Rome to photograph the Eternal City at various hours, in different lights. Then I would see other parts of Italy and go to Malta, before spending the last 9 days of my trip in Rome again, on another programme and at a more relaxed pace. The airline I chose offered good deals on hotels and rental cars. Hotel Columbus was among the choices and after looking it up, I was easily tempted and convinced to stay there at the beginning of my month-long trip.

I was lucky the minute I collected my bag & set out to find the train I'd read about to get from Airport to Termini Station : immediately a dispatcher showed me his company minivans waiting just outside & one of his driver was ready to go. He would take me straight to my hotel for 16 Euros so I didn't see the point in looking for the Leonardo Express. I got in front with the driver as a group of young people were already on the seats usually assigned to visitors. It was really a quick & pleasant ride, the driver was great fun & he gave me a glimpse of his daily routine in & around Rome. + suggestions for picking up my rental car days later, driving around & away from Rome, all useful.

All that was such fun that I reached the hotel in a great mood & very hungry. It was early for check-in but perfect timing for "il cibo" -- the concierge suggested I take my lunch in the garden while he stored my luggage.
I walked through large rooms with ceilings reaching up to the sky until I found La Veranda, the hotel restaurant. Just beyond the wide open French doors was an elegant garden with a dozen round tables under leafy trees. I chose a table by the fountain & tried to refrain from bursting with contentment. I had spaghetti alla carbonara (very well done! simple and tasty) & finished with a refreshing granita al limone. Perfect before a long stroll along Borgo Pio & around St.Peter's.

Check-in was done when I reached reception, I got my key and went up to my monastic room... It really made me laugh to go from grand statelike rooms to my private dwellings in the castle... There was one bed, for a thin person, grissini style, and a closet for a soutane, a cappotto and maybe a cappello on the upper shelf. They must have expected a priest. I'm not sure there was a prayer book on the work table but I didn't have time to check everything. I had places to go and I was late! (not really, just impatient.)
In the end, I can say that my room was perfect. Quiet, serene, comfortable and clean, + situated in a spot where no one passed by my door.

Unique Quality: After a good night's sleep, I went down early for breakfast as I was expected at 9.15 in a small religious items shop on St.Peter's Square. The Veranda opens onto the garden & is very pleasant.
The food was beautifully presented, while maids or waitresses dressed like maids came in & out regularly with fresh coffee & tea, juice, toasts, etc.
They were all smiling, looking mighty happy & making sure you'd had as many eggs as you wanted... even if by the time they asked, I'd had so much chocolate marble pound cake I couldn't breathe.

One of the best breakfast lay-out I ever saw. Too much cake maybe, but nobody forced me to have 3 pieces after 2 croissants & 2 toasts. I had to wrap a cake up & run to the Vatican Museums rendez-vous. Lots of fruits + a great array of ham, charcuterie & cheeses. All delicious. Everything was fresh and appetising.

Other than that, the hotel had internet access in the rooms, which was cool to try out my new NetBook. You get a code at the Reception Desk, for a few Euros I think.
There are huge salons where you can lounge around in perfect quiet, surrounded by old paintings, if you think of looking way up. It's really a great place for a retreat far from the madding crowd. :-)

It was the first time I stayed by the Vatican, first time on the Right Bank of the Tiber in fact. I found it easy to walk everywhere & most of all, I enjoyed coming back to the Vatican atmosphere at the end of each day. And setting off from there each morning.
I loved early mornings along the banks of the Tiber, going downstream. There's quite a lot of waterfowl splashing about before Rome wakes up.

The hotel started life in the late 15th century as the palace of Domenico della Rovere, Cardinal of San Clemente and nephew of Pope Sixtus IV. A search for Palazzo della Rovere will reveal everything.

3rd photo is the fountain in the garden.

Directions: A few steps away from the Vatican, on the large, wide avenue that leads to St.Peter's Square.

gregoryolney's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel, but..........

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 15, 2006

.....we were robbed. Whilst we were at breakfast someone entered our room and stole some money from my partner's handbag. We think we know who did it and reported it to the hotel manager - he was most unhelpful, couldn't understand how it could happen, first time in 30 years etc that this had happened, trusted his staff etc etc etc...So we won't stay there again, which is a shame because it is a very nice hotel, an old, converted monastery a hundred yards from St Peter's Square - good breakfasts, good service etc.

Directions: 100 yards from St Peters Square - superb location for Vatican visits.

jmhenry1123's Profile Photo

Great location to anywhere in Rome

by written on September 28, 2004

I did not personally stay here but some members of our group did. The lobby is quite nice with a good bar area for meeting with a group.

Unique Quality: Right on Via della Conciliazione, you are a stone's throw from St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican Museums, Castel San Angelo, Tiber River, etc

Directions: Vatican City/Via della Conciliazione

CdnJane's Profile Photo

Great location... down the street from the Pope!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 29, 2004

Part of my 1976 trip to Italy, so do not know prices then or now.

What I do recall about this place, other than its close proxmity to St. Peter's and then down and around the river, and elsewhere, were the beautiful frescos painted in the building. It was a former Pope's palace.

I believe that I shared the room with 3 other girls from the group, and it was a huge room.

I'm sure the food was good... actually if I recall it was the first place I had Artichokes, so that was one of my exciting moments.

Nearby Columbus Hotel Rome

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews