Cressy

linggy's Profile Photo

Cressy Hostel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 2, 2005

Overall the condition of the hostel is clean and well kept. It is very small though, around 10 guest rooms, they offer all female dorms which is what I like.

However, it is quite hard to locate this hostel, it is located in this building within walking distance from Rome's Stazione Termini but the buidling do not have any unit number and the name of the hostel is written on a tiny slab at the front door. I had to walked around the neighbourhood a couple of times before finding it as I reached Rome at night. Not a good experience with backpack.

The hostel is located on 2nd or 3rd storey of the buidling.

Directions: Facing the big clocks upon alighting form the train, turn left till you reached the end of the Rome's Stazione Termini and turn left. Walk straight ahead, located above a cafe that sell pizza and snacks.

craic's Profile Photo

View? Tip from 2004

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 24, 2004

This plain, unstimulating view was exactly what I needed as a rest from Rome. There was a husband and wife pair of pigeons living on the roof opposite, and I enjoyed watching their comings and goings.
I had asked the signora - Fumare?
She sighed and shook her head. Dived into another room. Got a dirty ashtray. Tipped it out in the bin. Wiped it with a cloth. She handed it to me and said - "Discreto!"
So I put my ashtray on the window sill, pulled up a chair and smoked discreetly.
Sometimes the shutters across from me would open and I would see into other lives.
I think it was quite a Roman thing to do.
You see many Romans leaning on their window sill or over their balconies taking a good look at what is going on.

Directions: Very near Stazione Termini

craic's Profile Photo

It's for quiet types - Tip from 2004

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 22, 2004

I am an older woman travelling alone.
It was difficult to find accomodation in Rome that suited me. Hostels had mixed dorms. Hotels don't have single rooms.
The Cressy has single sex dorms for 23 euro a night.
I hadn't booked when I returned to Rome and the dorm was full so they gave me a private room (without bathroom) for 60 euro instead of 75.
In the morning I dicovered why they had looked a bit rattled, because they had put a group of young Spaniards in the woman's dorm. They didn't want me to find out about that. No wonder they didn't want to slip me in.
Look. It suited me down to the ground.
It has no extras at all. No tv, no internet, no kitchen. No common room. No English. I had to speak French to the mother and son team who run the place.
But that was cool. We got by.
I really liked the signora and her son. I like family businesses.
They are not chatty at all. They just leave you alone and the signora changes the beds and gives the place a good swab out with a bucket and mop every morning.
All the rooms are tiled.
Most of the time it has only a few people staying there. I had the dorm to myself on one night.
It seems to get the quieter type of person. It is not party central.
You do have to beg the signora for a towel. Several times. Then the towel is very very tiny. Then you have to beg for soap. Then you have to hide the soap otherwise when she cleans up in the morning she throws it out.
It's on the fifth floor in a security building. The old lift you go up in was a delight. I haven't seen one like that for donkey's years.
They do have fans in the rooms.
Although it was close to Stazione Termini it was very quiet and peaceful and felt like a real haven to me.
Just a bed and a bathroom.

Unique Quality: One thing I should mention.
It's a little hard to find the first time because Via Marsala turns into Via Volturno without any warning.
If you have a map you're okay.
But I didn't have a map until I got there.
So I did a bit of a wander around trying to find it.
The area is full of gypsies and homeless people etc etc - but I never struck any trouble.
At least, I never struck any trouble round Stazione Termini.
I struck plenty of trouble in another area. But more of that later.

PS If you must have internet, there is an excellent internet cafe, with smokers' room, just across the road. 5 euro for 3 hours.

Directions: Very close to Stazione Termini.
I've given you their web site but something is wrong with the booking thingo. So best to book with www.venere like I did.

Nearby Cressy

Cressy

• Cressy Hotel Rome

Address: Via Volturno 27, Rome, Lazio, 00185, Italy

2 Photos of Cressy

View Professional Photos

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews