Cromata Rooms

Via Cairoli 84, Rome, 00185, Italy

Cromata Rooms
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

• Great if you are prepared!

This "hotel" is comprised of three rooms in a converted apartment. The guy will meet you there in the morning and give you all the information you need. Its a little walk from Termini station and the rooms are clean (which is my main priority). In other reviews I have seen complaints about noise. With the windows open it is very loud but we slept with the windows closed and air conditioning on and there were no noise issues. I recommend this hotel if you are prepared for no receptionist and to pretty much be on your own. We ran into the guy one other night, but didnt expect to. He helped us fix the wifi problem we were having. Nice and clean, which was all I really care about!

Unique Quality: Only for the independent traveler!

More about Rome

Piazza della RepubblicaPiazza della Repubblica

Rome, ItalyRome, Italy

Public domain recreation of sitePublic domain recreation of site

£30 for penn spag and tomatoe sauce !!!!£30 for penn spag and tomatoe sauce !!!!

hotel villa St. Dominique

by Mercu

Hello everybody! I am going to spend 3 days in Rome, from the 23rd to 26th November.Has anybody ever stayed in hotel villa St. Dominique? I would like to know it is too far from the town center. If it is far, are there bus stops near the hotel? Any information you can give me will help me a lot. Thank you very much.

by Paisleypaul

Had a look and ity is not central but for a visit of only a few days we have stayed similar distances, only becomes a bind after a longer stay I think. You will find the transport links details here

by Mercu

Thank you very much. As I can see you have been in Rome, could you recommend me a cheap and clean hotel? Villa St. Dominique is an option but we haven't booked yet

by Maryimelda

Try the Hotel Italia on via Venezia. Here is the review I wrote on venere.com:

"I will always remember the Hotel Italia as I was robbed on the Metro in Rome and lost my son's and my passport as well as my credit cards. Without the people at the Hotel Italia, I would not have known where to turn. They simply took control and made all the necessary phone calls for me, gave me maps and written directions to the police station and the Australian embassy. They could not have been more efficient or kinder and i am eternally grateful to them. The hotel itself was lovely. Quite quaint and every bit as good as it looks on the website. Rooms as usual were small but very functional, good breakfast, clean and well located for restaurants, transport and to the major monuments, basilicas and the like. I will certainly go back next time I'm in Rome and I cannot speak highly enough of the little Hotel Italia. If you're going to Rome, this is the place to stay."

by babbi_it

Villa st. dominique is a nice hotel but it's far from the center expecially because on that street there is lot of traffic, however the bus stop is close to the hotel.
How many persons do you are?

by Mercu

Thank you very much for answering me. We are four and we are trying to find something nearer the town center. Grazie!

by Mercu

Thank you very much for having the time to answer to me. Your information is very helpful for me. Thanks a lot!

with this site www.hotelclub.com

try with these hotel, they are all in good position, i don't know your budget so here there are some example, but on hotelclub site there are several hotels:

*** Aurelius Hotel Rome (near CORNELIA metro station - line A)
**** Marc Aurelio Hotel Rome (near CORNELIA metro station too, but the other one is closest to the metro - line A)
*** Residenza Vaticana Rome (near LEPANTO metro station - line A - very central)
** Sallustio Hotel Rome (near BARBERINI metro station - line A - very central too)
in the same street of Sallustio there's ** Giotto Flavia Hotel Rome
*** Piazza Venezia Hotel Rome (in piazza venezia - closest metro station is SPAGNA - line A, but from here you can walk everywhere)

by Mercu

Thank you very much. You are very kind. Molto grazie!

you're welcome

Travel Tips for Rome

The use of "ciao"

by baronedivandastad

A recent forum discussion had several people debate on the use of "ciao".

First of all, "ciao" is a friendly way of saying both "hello" (when meeting) or "goodbye" (when departing). It's generally intended to be an informal way to greet. However, the formality matter is a subject of controversy even among Italian linguists.

Ciao in origin was not informal, as it comes from the Venetian "Sciao", which is their way of pronouncing the word "Schiavo", meaning slave. So it was actually very reverential. When the word got outside Veneto it became informal, although I don't agree with the interpretation and try to use the word as much as possible within the boundaries of rudeness.

As a middle-aged man (in Dante's terms, i.e. almost 35), I find that more and more people use formal greeting words with me. There comes another important rule: if you say ciao to someone you're entitled to address them with "tu", while if you say "buongiorno" or the likes you should also use "lei". This works more or less like in German or French, even though the French tend to use more "vous" than we use "lei".

In general, you'll be ok saying "ciao" to all people younger than you (though they're likely to answer formally if you're evidently older) or with anyone who's the same age as you provided you're not older than, say, 40. In that case the "ciao" can be used reciprocally.

In business meetings things can vary. Some companies make it a rule to say "ciao" to everyone, others are more conservative. In doubt, ask or go for the formal way and wait for others to tell you "diamoci del tu".

Kids can always be addressed with "ciao" and they're likely to do the same. Some places where informality is a must (i.e. in the restaurant Antica Birreria Peroni, see my tip) you'll be addressed with "ciao" (in the best case :o).

Via Appia Antica

by globetrott

I took the subway and then the bus to get to the old part of the Via Appia Antica, where you may still see the scratches that were made by the Roman carriages into the original roman stones.

It is also amazing to see how exact the streets were made in width and straight direction.
Via Appia Antica is an area you may spent a whole day without getting bored.

Metro Subway

by meteorologist1

The subway is a very convenient way of getting around Rome. Currently each ticket costs 0.77 euros and they are valid for 75 minutes after stamping. In this 75 minutes you're free to transfer from buses to buses but only once for subway. Buy them at newspaper stands around the city, at the Termini train station, or in subway stations. The automatic ticket machines at subway stations are difficult to use.

The restaurant at the top of...

by sarabee

The restaurant at the top of the Hotel Forum, overlooking the Colosseum and the Forum.
The view is just to die for! The price is a little high (ok, very high) but if you want to have a great meal with an exquisite view of the ruins, it is well worth it. Everything was soooooo good, particularly the desserts. We had brunch here on a balmy afternoon, and they were serving a great buffet. The marinated artichokes won me over.

A nice look

by DOREMIFA

San Peter basilica is a milestone to be for a catholic person more than anybody else. Beside all the beauty that the place has, the most for me as been going on top of the cupola and look at the panoramic wieu from there. You can rotate around the cupola up there and see all Rome it is magnificient grandeur. One thing, I had the most laughing time going to the cupola; the friend that accompany me do not like close spaces there's stairs, once you start, is one way up and there's no way to get back down unless you go all the way up and then down. The poor young man was unable to go back , he force himself up and I was laughing out of tears cause it became a joke for not be able to go down but up first .

Comments