Piazza Stazione S Pietro 13, Rome, 00165, Italy
Booking.com HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

More about Rome

St. Peter’s, the Dome, May 2007St. Peter’s, the Dome, May 2007

Pinocchio riding his bicyclePinocchio riding his bicycle

Angel and antenna !Angel and antenna !

Looking down while climbing the cupola!Looking down while climbing the cupola!

Ostia Antica

by keakalina

In Rome and free for all day till back at hotel at 6, could we take bus or train to Ostia Antica, have time for picnicking lunch and roaming around and still get back (bus or train or what)and still get back to hotel by 6?

by effeti

Oh yes! Ostia Antica station is along the Roma - Lido train line (http://www.metroroma.it/MetroRoma/HTML/EN/Servizi/Muoversi+a+Roma/RomaLido.htm)and the entrance to the site is a few walking minutes from the station (you have to cross a walkway bridge just out of the statio). The line is connectted with the urban lines of the metro, so max 1 hour to go there, the rest is visit.

Ciao
Francesco

by leics

O yes, yes...........and you really must!

Metro to Pyramide, down the stairs, onto the Ostia train, get off at Ostia Scavi station, walk down the road and the site entrance is opposite.

Absolutely wonderful place (my Ostia pages have info/photos etc). There is a cafe on site, but buy your picnic in Rome: no shops nearby.

by leics

Even better, if you have bought a 3 or 7 day transport pass for bus/tram/Metro it will cover the journey to Ostia as well.

by footstool

IMHO, don't waste your money on tour buses; listen to effeti! I was there is 2004, and just took the subway as our colleague has suggested. We had a good laugh when we walked thru the parking lot and saw the tour buses, who had charged each tourist 30E or so! I am not at all sure about picnicking on the grounds; you'd better check that out. There's a restaurant right there on the premises, so why carry alot of heavy food around?! Ostia Antica reminded me of Venice, in that it's so quiet...no motorcars, boomboxes, etc. The ancient life must have been quiet and still, like that.

by leics

I had no problem picnicking when I visited.....there is a large amount of unexcavated, grassy space......though obviously one wouldn't take a portable barbecue!

by leics

is a very useful site. The official site is in Italian, and less detailed.

by ATLC

The train from Pyramid to Ostia Antica takes 30 mins only. Easy peasy. Enjoy!

by keakalina

and again, thank u - directions very clear

by keakalina

Will follow your suggestions - one thing: can I buy wine at the cafe?

by keakalina

Will certainly enjoy - so glad I asked about it as we are total strangers to Italy and someone on VT spoke of it and has been "brewing" in my mind, now I have the answers. Thank you.

by ATLC

there's a little kiosk/sandwich shop just outside the station at Ostia. You can buy some wine and beer there.

by effeti

And i remember a snack bar inside the site, too.
Ciao
Francesco

by leics

It's a rather nice cafe/restaurant and (as far as I recall) sells wine/beer (and, I think, some meals.....though I may have imagined this) as well as gelato/coffee/panini etc.

There's a photo on this page:

by ATLC

Nevertheless, it's wise to bring some food and drink. On the day we were there (a weekday), everything was closed except for the kiosk outside the station.

Agree....I always do.

It's cheaper too. :-)

Travel Tips for Rome

TO VISIT ARCH OF...

by Andrew_Liu

TO VISIT ARCH OF CONSTANTINE.
Another sort of memorial building is arch. The picture I took from Colosseo shows the Arch of Constantine¡ªanother great ruler of Rome Empire.
This Arch is the largest and best preserved in the three remaining in Rome. Several pieces of historical relics of Trajan, Hardrian and Marcus Aurelius were removed to this Arch. So it is a monument of great worth.

Take a tour to give you your bearings

by rephluxx

While taking a tour of central Rome won't take you off the beaten path, it'll give you a huge heads up on other travellers. In less than three hours you'll have your bearings for the central city and a good enough overview to really start to hone in on what you want to tackle. I found myself overwhelmed by central Rome until I took a tour. Enjoy Rome offers affordable group tours by well informed guides. I really enjoyed my tour with them and would have done more if I had the time.

Chillin' out...

by fairy_dust about Ice Club

The Ice Club is a small lounge and yes, it's actually made of ice! When you go in, you're given a cloak to wear over your clothes because the temperature inside is below freezing. Once you're inside, the walls and seats are made of ice (though there are furs on the seats to make it more comfortable) and drinks are served in ice glasses. Cover is expensive but your first drink is free. Wear what you want, it doesn't matter anyway because you have to wear a cloak over your clothes anyway

A bite at the Colosseum

by bilbos0 about Snack bar at Colosseum.....Circa

We were tired from all the walking and we still had the Colosseum to go. There is a snack bar in front of the Colosseum just outside of the subway. It has several tables outside under cover and our first thought was it's just a tourist trap.
Well they did have pictures on the menu.... They have a good selection of sandwiches and cold plates. We all four had a meal and several beers and coffee for about 60 Euro.
Service was outstanding, our waiter would actually run from the back to the tables.

Sheer Size!!

by abi_maha

this was impressive! the sheer size of the colosseum is imposing! The first thought i had was of Asterix in Rome just as i was thinking that my husband echoed the same! We spent a good 2 hours in the colosseum before heading off to the Palatini. The roma pass was a savior as we didn't wait in the queues at the colosseum!

Comments