Via Gaeta 64, Rome, 00185, Italy

Roman Forum and Palatine HillRoman Forum and Palatine Hill

Closeup Valentino dress, corsageCloseup Valentino dress, corsage

Rome to Sicily - means of getting there

by katrinaocean

Hi, could anyone advise of the options and costs for getting from Rome to Sicily, considering maybe jet boat, ferry, train - latter maybe a little more difficult?? Don't mind a possible overnight crossing...., just after some sort of costs to add to my spreadsheet for my travels in June

Thank you anyone..., everyone for your help xx

Re: Rome to Sicily - means of getting there

by gfinesilver

you may be able to find a well priced flight. check edreams.com

Re: Rome to Sicily - means of getting there

by viaggiando35

Ciao, you can get Sicily from Rome by flight, of course, it is the more comfortable way (about 60 euros and 1 hour flight) but it is a nice experience by train because you can have a view of south Italy. The train from Rome to catania can be nighttime with couchette (you cannot see anything) or daytime, leaving from early morning from Roma Termini railways station and arrive in Sicily after 10 hours ride. The train is put on a big ferry and cross the sea from Villa San Giovanni, you don't have to do anything :-)

Catania is my city and a good poit for visiting Etna,Taormina,coloured open market :-) We have nice beaches, but the best are on wilder places south to Syracuse or close to Trapani (West)

Have a great trip,
Enrico

Travel Tips for Rome

st peters

by lostaussie

is a mighty large basilica with a dome that is...mighty large. as usual the photo makes me out to be a liar. the detail in decorations is incredible. it is impossible to fathom that this was all sculpted/painted by man. a mighty fine endorsement for our race.

Free books!

by craic

This is a wonderful liitle bookshop at 329 Via G. Giolotti (runs down beside Termini) which often has events like plays or readings. I have been to a play here, a New Zealand play which made me a bit homesick.
Anyway I popped in to see if they had English books - I was beginning to worry I might run out of reading material. And no, they don't have English books but they do have a Bookcrossing bookcase. This is a website where you register a book and release it into the wild. There were two English books and one was Pride and Prejudice - which I adore - so I seized upon it with glad cries and then logged onto the site to let Francesina know that I had her book. It had been there for 7 months and she was very happy and asked me to take it back to Australia with me. But I gave it to a friend from Puerto Rica who loves classic english texts and she will leave it either in Cyprus or Vienna.

Riding on a Metro

by karenincalifornia

We found the Metro to be a perfectly fine way to get around Rome when we we didn't want to take the time to walk.

I had heard you had to be on guard because pick pockets were quite adept at snatching wallets on the Metro. We kept our guard up, but personally, I thought riding the Metro in Rome was child's play compared to the Muni in San Francisco, where you have to avoid the lunatics.

Elegant, good food and not overpriced

by codrutz about Ristorante alla Rampa

Looking for a special evening we have found this pretty fancy restaurant exactly in the Piazza di Spagna - near the column. Waiters all dressed in white, it was clear this was no fast-food type of pizza restaurant you can too easily find downtown Rome. We were absolutely satisfied with the food, the wine, the service and of the fact the price was not over the top.

Cool Colleseum

by arv1

Entry is 10 euros per adult.

If you are European and are under 25, it is 6 euros but ID is required (either a passport or a drivers license, student ID does not work)

Also, you can buy tickets for a tour guide in whichever language you want, which would be about 18 Euros. These aren't available at the main desk, but outside the colloseum where the tour guides are waiting for you. This is legitimate.

Comments