Diplomatic Hotel

Hotel Diplomatic
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• A very good Rome hotel

The 3* Diplomatic has been recently refurbished and as a result the large rooms are very clean and comfortable with large fully equipped bathrooms. A breakfast of cereals, breads, meats, cheeses and excellent coffee is served in a small breakfast room which has an outside terrace for warmer weather. The staff were friendly, courteous and very helpful at all times.

Unique Quality: The Hotel is 10 minutes walk from St. Peters Square, situated next the Palace of Justice. The Spanish Steps are about a 10 minute walk in the other direction, across the River. All the other main sights of Rome are within walking distance, the furthest being the Colosseum which is about a 35/40 minute walk. There are two very good restaurants just across the road - Vito's, a friendly, lively pizzeria and Clok, a bit more up-market - both serving excellent food at very reasonable prices.

Directions: On the quieter side of the river, on a small street leading off Piazza Cavour.

• Central Rome

A recently refurbished 3* hotel. The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable with large well-equipped bathrooms. The breakfast is of a typical 3* standard, rolls, fruit, cereals. meats and cheeses, and excellent coffee, served in a light and airy breakfast room with an outside terrace. The staff, all of whom spoke English, were courteous and friendly and always willing to help. I would certainly stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it.

Unique Quality: The hotel is just around the corner from the Vatican and St. Peters, about a 10 minute walk. Just across the River are the Spanish Steps, about 15 minutes walk and further afield, the Forum and Colosseum are about 40 minutes walk. There are two very good restaurants just across the road, Vito's and Clok, both serving excellent food at very reasonable prices.

Directions: Just across the Ponte Cavour bridge, next to Piazza Cavour.

More about Diplomatic Hotel

Beware of the Hotel Diplomatic

by TripAdvisor Member chee

I had made reservations for the Hotel Diplomatic in October 2004, for Dec. 28,2004. I reconfirmed my reservation 1 week prior to my arrival in Rome. We went to the hotel only to find our hotel room had been given away and we had been placed in another hotel about 5 blocks from this hotel. My husband and I had four bags and had to drag them from this hotel to the other. I was so upset because I had spent several weeks reserching hotels and based on the reviews, I was looking forward to this after such a long days travel. My husband didn't want to look for another hotel as he was already tired from the long days journey. The Diplomatic assured us that they put us in another 3 star hotel called The Isa. Upon arrival it was under much construction and the standard room of the Isa didn't meet the standards of Diplomatic. My husband spoke with the front desk and they upgraded our room at no extra charge. The newly renovated room was better than the Diplomatic. Their sevice was great. The morning buffet was excellent. The staff superb! If staying at the Diplomatic reconfirm your reservations the night before or Else!!!!!!!

Very nice stay - October, 2004

by TripAdvisor Member worldrunner

Spent 2 nights at Hotel Diplomatic and enjoyed it very much. The room, although not large, was very comfortable with nice amenities. It faced the street on the 5th floor but was not noisy. We walked to the Vatican and St. Peters and had a nice dinner on Piazza Nuovo. The city tour bus stops right outside the hotel and provides a good overview of the city with lots of stops. The only recommendations for improvement would be to provide a 110 v. converter and improve the lighting in the sitting area. We would definitely return!

Fantastic!!

by TripAdvisor Member analuLuton_Beds

We have just returned from the most fantastic week at the Diplomatic.

We went for our wedding anniversary - and had complementary Champagne delivered to us just after our arrival which started the holiday off really nicely! We had a fab room on the 5th floor with a balcony. There was no noise to speak of from the traffic, the bed was huge and exceedingly comfy, the room at least as big as some we have had in resorts in the Caribbean which pleanstly suprised us, very clean indeed and the staff were all very helpful and so friendly. (with the exception of one grumpy older man who is sometimes on reception).
The breakfast was lovely and the ladies in the breakfast room made us feel really welcome.

We found the location was perfect. So close to everything - we didnt get on a bus or metro all week. Even the Coliseum only took 1/2 hour walk to get there and the Castle St Angleo is less than five minutes - its a very easy city to find your way around. If you get time - check out the views over Piazza del Popolo from the Pinicio on the edge of Villa Borghese park - stunning!!

We found loads of places to eat out at night and didnt think prices were bad at all compared to London. Our favourite was Vito's. Stand at the front door of the hotel and its on the left hand side of the road directly in front of you - super food, great selection, really friendly service and good value for money. (Avoid Francesca's Pizzeria on Via Pierluiga Da Palesrina unless you want your food thrown at you and to be kept waiting for 3/4 hour for the bill-the only unfriendly place we found in the whole of Rome!)

Cant recommend this hotel, staff or location highly enough - go!

Spacious room, longish walk to attractions

We had a huge room that was probably meant for 4 persons (only 2 of us). The room was clean. The bathroom could be cleaner - but overall, it was acceptable. The aircon was pretty loud though. Friendly reception.

The hotel is not within walking distance from the train station. Had to take a Metro to Spagna and walk for 15min.

The hotel was a long walk to the attractions, the closest was Vatican City, which was about 15mins away. While it was possible to walk to other attractions, it was a long, long walk.

Fantastic hotel in great location

We stayed at the Diplomatic in October and cannot fault the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was lovely, and although facing the main road was very quiet. The bed was huge! Very clean bathroom.
The location is great, only 10 mins to St Peters Square, 10 mins to Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain and 20 mins to the colloseum. Walk everywhere, its the best way to see all the sights. Piazza Navona (10 mins walk) is great at night, we found a lovely restaurant (dolce vita) and although more expensive than other parts the food was the best we had in Rome. I also agree with the review above - do not eat at Francescas pizzeria near the hotel!! We arrived in Rome and were starving, we found this place and were greeted with very rude staff! Definitely not the warm welcome we were expecting.

Overall a very modern hotel, great location in a fabulous city! Would return again and again.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Ferro2006

I spent 3 nights at this hotel in Dec-04 (including the X'mas Eve) at €90,00 per night. I made the reservation 3 months in advance, told it that this was for my honeymoon and requested a room with balcony. At first they replied me that they couldn't guarantee a room with balcony because they only got 3 rooms with balcony. But when we arrived, they managed to allocate me to a room with balcony! In addition, when I returned my room after the first day's visit, I got a big surprise - the hotel gave a bottle of complimentary champagne (75cl; with a bucket of ice and two glasses)!!! Although I had told all hotels I had stayed that I was a honeymooner, they at most only offered me a king-size bed. This hotel was different and I really appreciated it!!!
Although this hotel was not located at the very centre of the city, I would say it's a convenient location - 10 minutes' walking to Pizarre Navona; 15 minutes' walking to Vatican and 15 minutes' walking to the nearest Metro station. Although there was a bus stop right at the entrance of the hotel, the street on which the hotel was located was not too busy and so I could hardly hear any noise in the night (so I would strongly recommend one to request a room with balcony).
The room itself was big and clean. The facilities were quite good as well. The bathroom was big, with a bathtub and seemed to have been renovated recently. Everything inside the room was fine!
Regarding the staff, the guy sitting at the reception during daytime was not only extremely friendly and helpful, but also spoke perfect English!
The breakfast served by this hotel was above the average, at least not worse than any other 4-star hotels I'd stayed in Italy!!!
The only disadvantage of this hotel is the lift - there was only one lift, which I found quite old and slow.
In short, I would strongly recommend this hotel to others. I think this hotel deserves a 4-star rating or more. The price at €90,00 undoubtedly worths!

Good Location

Central location close to most of the sights. The hotel is not luxury- there is no fancy lobby or grand rooms. The bedrooms (we had two as we have two children) were newly decorated with new carpets etc and were very clean. Neither were very big. The bathrooms were very compact but we didn't mind as they were all marble and very smart.Staff were very efficient and helpful and spoke good english.If you are staying a short time the hotel was more than adequate but not luxury. We were on the 2nd floor and could hear the traffic as it was a very busy road outside. The open top tourist bus stops directly outside the hotel and was well worth a trip.We went at night and this was a good way to see the city at night. The nearest professional coffee shop did lovely cakes and coffee for breakfast. The pizza place (NANE) on the bridge near the hotel is a rip off place which charged us a ridiculous amount for our meal. The service was terrible, the bill took three turns to get right and the house wine was a joke.The hotel isnt memorable but is very clean and reasonably cheap for Rome. Pleased we paid an extra 8 euros for the guided tour of the colesseum which was well worth it as we went to the front of the huge queue.Would stay here again.

central location.

by TripAdvisor Member Mancunian

We stayed at this hotel with our 8 yr old son in Oct 04. I researched the area as we wanted to be central to the attractions, especially with a child. Fantastic hotel. The room was great, although we did face the main street which kept our son entertained(people watching and mad parking attempts !), the noise began in the early hours. This did not bother us after the first night. The hotel was more central than we thought.Once we had travelled on the open top tour bus (the weather was fantastic,) we soon got our bearings and walked everywhere. The staff were friendly and loved having a child around.Breakfast was good and again they accomodated a child very well (hot chocolate was his favourite). The bar next door to the hotel was handy but expensive. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and would definately stay again. The only negative side was the distance to the metro station when we arrived and returned to the airport..it is quite a walk with luggage and a child in tow.

Comments