Domus Tiberina

Hotel Domus Tiberina
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Rome

View to Colli Albani from Finnish InstituteView to Colli Albani from Finnish Institute

MACRO.MACRO.

Beer cases in Emme'piu supermarketBeer cases in Emme'piu supermarket

Santa Maria degli Angeli - transept.Santa Maria degli Angeli - transept.

Tight train connection in Rome--enough time?

by MNgal

I will be traveling from the Cinque Terre to Naples in late April with a train connection in Rome. The train arrives into the Rome station at 11:50 and we have to catch the 12:00 departing train to Naples. Is this enough time for the connection or is there a good chance we will miss our train? We have not booked yet, as I await welcome advice.

The other option for us is to take a 5:46am departing train from Cinque Terre direct to Naples. It takes nearly two hours longer, but we will not have to connect.

Thanks!
Lindsay

by r13

I think risk is too big. Train can be late quite often and you will not have enough time to get oriented, find out your departure platform and run to the other train.... It is too tight even if the train arrives on time (unless you have no luggage).

by MNgal

Thank you! I think we will take the direct train then. I appreciate your reply.

by mccalpin

Lindsay, I just answered your later question, and I am puzzled. Where are you getting these timings from? www.trenitalia.com or another website?

I would think that the regional (local) train to La Spezia and the IC train to Naples will be preferable, since not only do you avoid the hassle of an extra change of trains, but the regional/IC trip is about one HALF the cost of the trip with changes in La Spezia and Roma Termini (about 47 euro versus about 94 euro).

So, buy some bread, meats, cheeses, and fruit (oh, and wine and water) the evening before, and take them on the IC train for breakfast and lunch al treno (it's not "al fresco" unless you can open the window ;-) )...

Bill

by GyuriFT

Bill,

How about Sambuca? What's the best with it? How you compare it with ouzo?
Otherwise your posting made me again hungry, it's not fair.

by MNgal

Thank you all for your help! The train options came from my travel agent, who was not as familiar with these types of trains and connection times, so I'm glad you all were able to help me. It sounds like we will do the IC train then and enjoy the ride! Mccalpin--I like the recommendations on the food and wine! Just perfect. Thanks :-)

by xymmot

the connection time is very tight and Italy trains are not always on time like the Germans. If you have the time, take the stress free ride.

by MNgal

Intercity train it is! Thanks for your reply.

by mccalpin

Hey, Gyuri! Where have you been??? ;-)

Sambuca? For breakfast??? That must put a smile on your face all day long ;-) (zzzzzz...)

To me, Sambuca is typically smoother than ouzo, probably because of how they balance the sugars...or maybe I've just drunk too much cheap ouzo hahaha...

As for what goes with Sambuca...hmmmmn, I have found that the best accompaniment to Sambuca is an attractive person of the opposite sex heh heh...no, to me, Sambuca is for after dinner only as it does not go with food so much (I can't speak to coffee as I don't drink it). However, I will note that drinking pastis in southern France is quite acceptable in the afternoon; however, it's usually been diluted with water first...

Good to have you back!

Bill

by GyuriFT

Bill - I was totally consumed by consequences of our intercontinental move. It just took that much energy (and money!!!), I didn't want to say the word "travel" for a while. Besides, it put me way beyond my work tasks... kind of bouncing back now. But so much adventure - more than 2-3 round-the-world trips.

by Mozumbus

you already have your answers, but I would suggest you to look at www.trenitalia.com, the official website, to have first hand knowledge...

Travel Tips for Rome

Visiting the Vatican

by volarevolare

I love the place -- it's just so beautiful, you've got to see it for yourself.

It's full of history, lovely and majestic and awe-inspiring architecture...

You'd get to see famous artwork by Michaelangelo -- The Pieta and the ceiling of The Sistine Chapel!

Take a underground walk of the vaults where the previous popes are laid to rest... I was really amazed at the size of the place as well as the hugeness of St. Peter's.

I really enjoyed the Vatican museums and I'm happy we didn't pay for a guided trip with a tour for this museum.

There isn't a need to, save that money to buy a souvenir booklet -- it's more worth it.

The trick is to go in and stand near a tour group and listen to the explanations given about that particular art work -- you'd easily find many such groups once you're inside the museum.

Ceiling art ~ no surface untouched!

by Jenniflower

How beautiful was the ceiling in our guesthouse?

Lovely, hey?

In Rome, there is often no surface left untouched. So much time and effort is taken into the arts and creationg thereof, which I really appreciate.

The walls in our guesthouse were white, but the ceilings told a story.

A beautiful tale! Elegant and gentle.

Hermes knockoffs up the street from the real thing

by ema522 about Francesco Rogani

This is an elegant little shop for handbags & leather accessories squeezed in between the designer boutiques of Via Condotti. The staff is extremely friendly & speak English very well - they even made a reservation for me at an exclusive little restaurant in the area when they found out it was my birthday! However, the real draws are the Hermes-type knockoffs, which I dare to call knockoffs because they're so well-made (and not street-vendor cheap, especially in this era of the inflated euro). They stock several sizes & colors of Kelley & Birkin type bags in addition to their own designs and all the wallets & small leather goods to go in them. Everything is still made in their own local workshop. Remember that you're buying a high-quality item and will pay a bit for it, but it's a fraction of what a genuine Hermes bag costs. The irony is that Hermes is right up the street! Kelley or Birkin type handbags, wallets, leather accessories $200 + for a handbag

The Metro (Metropolitana) has...

by bugalugs

The Metro (Metropolitana) has two lines A and B. Both pass through Stazione Termini (Station Terminus). The Metro operates from 5.30am to 11.30pm (one hour later on a Saturday).

Tickets for the Metro can be bought at machines in the stations or in the tabacconists in the stazione termini. You can purchase a single ticket, day or week tickets, which obviously save you money.

The Metro is an excellent way to travel around Rome and the stations you require are clearly marked on maps in the stations and in the trains themselves.

Excellent pasta

by rita_simoes about Lo Convento

This is my boyfriend's favourite restaurant in Rome, and being him italian and someone who loves to eat well, it must tell something about the quality of this place.

Plus, it's quite funny to see the waiters dressed as monks, the poor guys! : )

There are two or three rooms, so it's also a great idea if you're in a big group. He ate a carbonara, which was the best I have ever tasted. I chose ravioli with a delicious sauce of spinach and salmon, it was absolutely fabulous!

They have a wide variety of pasta, cooked in the traditional roman way, and also the starters were very good. We chose buffet starters - they give you a plate and you can fill it with all the delicious things that you will see at the entrance, on the left side.

Comments