Duca D Alba Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Duca D Alba Hotel

A little gem

by TripAdvisor Member dustoffmom

As the taxi pulled up I was initially questioning my choice....the neighborhood at first glimpse looks a bit 'iffy'. How quickly that impression and that of the hotel changed. This is indeed a little hidden gem of a hotel. The room was quite small, a single, but most comfortable with all the ammenities and a good size bathroom. I peeked into some of the others on my floor and found many of them to be spacious and just as nicely maintained. I would give high marks to this hotel for the breakfast alone. NOT your average, stale offering at all.
A goodly selection of breads and pastries, loads of fresh fruit, yogurts, meats and cheeses and best of all scrambled eggs and bacon every day. And a true Italian coffee service with cappucinos, expressos, et al served by one of the two waiters on duty. The front desk staff is a cut above, helpful, attentive, greeted me by name every time I entered the lobby. I asked about obtaining reservations for the Borghese one morning, they replied to allow them to call for me...when I returned they had my reservations for the next morning for me. The location is terrific...one short block from the Cavour metro stop on the B line (which is the first stop after Termini), 2 long blocks from the Coloseum, the 917 bus stops right around the corner (this one heads out to the Spanish Steps and Popolo plaza), and the 84 bus is one block away on Via Cavour(which will take you to Vittorio and Venezia where one can get just about any bus in Rome). The neighborhood, which I initially thought looked a bit 'off' is just fine, tucked in a maze of small winding streets with several good restaurants a stone's throw away...some hard to get in to as they are filled with locals, not tourists. I chose this hotel due to it's ranking and reviews here and now I see why it rates so well. For most reasonable rates in a close in location that still feels a bit 'out of the center' this little hotel is a real find.

Quirky but pleasant.

My husband and I spent the last two days of our honeymoon in Rome at the Duca d'Alba and it definitely wasn't up to par with the other hotels we stayed at in Paris and Venice. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the heating system could wake the dead and the TV was out of the Smithsonian musuem (and we need our CNN!). However, the staff was very helpful and the place definitely had a quirky charm. Well located, too, just not what we expected given some of the previous rave reviews.

Loved this intimate jewel

We went to this hotel after renting another in the Latin Quarter (Hotel Cluny Square) that was awful. We had no reservation and needed a triple room for four nights. The location of this three star hotel is perfect!!!! Close to everything-convenient-great breakfast, great front desk help, very comfortable triple room. We would stay at this hotel again. They were only able to keep us three nights, but offered to help us find another hotel for the four night. They contacted a very nice four star hotel for us for the fourth night for the same price. This is a very charming smaller boutique hotel and we highly recommend it.

A good stay at this hotel

We stayed at the this hotel in April, 2004. This was our first visit to Rome and we were pleased with our decision to stay in the Duca D'Alba. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It's located conveniently to the Colesseum and Roman Forum. The subway is almost at the front door and Via Cavour is full of restaurants, shops and services. We were very pleased with the location. Our double room was clean and sharply decorated. The breakfast was very good. We wouldn't hesitate to stay again when visiting Rome.

Beware

Beware of this hotel. We saw all the reviews, and thought it would be great. We checked in on May 18, and it was very warm in the hotel. We inquired, and were told by the on duty manager that the airconditining was broken. He told us we could check our room, and if we did not like it, we did not have to keep the room. We went to the room, and it was stuffy, warm, and uncomfortable, right on a very busy corner. We immediately went back down, and told them we would not be keeping the room. They became very rude, and said the A/C did work. I asked that if it worked, why was everything so warm and musky? The other manager denied telling us that the A/C did not work, and that the A/C did in fact work. But, the way they insulted my wife, denying saying the things he told us, really infuriated us. When I told him we were leaving, they told us we would have to pay 165 euro for the room. They offered to move us to a room that was cooler and quiter, but by this stage of the game, we were too linsulted to put up with them any longer, and we left that hotel, THEN, THEY CHARGED ME THE FIRST NIGHT'S RENT ON THE ROOM, ALTHOUGH WE NEVER STAYED IN IT. The way we were treated was disgusting.

Comments