Embassy

Embassy Hotel
Booking.com Venere.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Rome

Save the Earth, ride a bike!Save the Earth, ride a bike!

Julius Ceasar: 100-44 BCJulius Ceasar: 100-44 BC

theme religioustheme religious

Ochre and ivy and fountainOchre and ivy and fountain

What to wear in Rome in Autumn

by sillykiwi

Hello, I am travelling from New Zealand to Rome in September and would like to know what to pack. From reading some of the postings I gather that shorts and sleeveless tops are not really acceptable. Are Slacks acceptable or is it more dresses / frocks. Is it warm? - advice would be welcome. Thanks

by mccalpin

Funny, we just had another Rome/September weather question ;-)

What you wear is dependent on your age as well as how you want to be perceived. Teenagers and backpackers wear whatever they want. My wife and I (mid 50s) wear long pants (Cotton Dockers, if you have that brand) and long sleeved dress shirts, even in summer, in part because I used to live there and I want to be taken for a serious visitor, not a penniless tourist.

As you have seen, certain modes of dress (or lack thereof) will keep you out of St. Peter's in Rome and other churches where there is a door monitor...and even where there are no monitors, there may be signs asking you not to enter in shorts or sleeveless tops (I remember such a sign at St. Paul Outside the Walls in Rome, for example).

As you can see, what we call "business casual" in the US is OK for almost everywhere, except that I don't wear polo shirts, but whatever...women are not at all required to wear dresses, although some women may feel more comfortable in the heat - my wife is a geek (IT person), thus wearing pants comes much more naturally, and this was fine.

You will see plenty of jeans and such stuff...note that Italians will look 1000% better than foreigners when they themselves wear jeans ;-) Oh, well, as a people, they dress well, and most of us just can't compete...

Note that Rome may be warm in September; the last few summers have been unusually warm and this may spill over into September. On the other hand, evenings can be cool, so a light jacket is a good idea.

So, the question really is, how do you want to be perceived when you travel? Backpacker? Frugal tourist? Middle class couple? Don't care how you are perceived? ;-)

Bill

by tropicrd

Hi, I was in Rome when it was autumn and packed the clothes that my fellow VT members advised. The main thing was to layer up/down.
I wore slacks and a sweater with boots or strong walking shoes (you do a lot of walking in Rome) I packed thermal underwear and also a rainproof parka,woolen hats that covered my ears,a scarf and gloves.
Pack as light as you can and make sure you can mix and match outfits.
I also took an after 5 dress that I wore to dinner--once again you can dress that up with a scarf or shawl,jewelly etc.
Dress jeans also can be worn during the day or dress up at night.I reckon it is to cold at that time of year to wear shorts and sleeveless tops.

Rome is a wonderful city so enjoy.

Dorrise

by Ceekonee

Were were in Rome and Sicily the first 2 weeks of September...It was HOT!! During the day and at night. Dress lightly and bring a cover shirt or light sweater...I never needed the sweater. I wore mostly shorts and capries.

Travel Tips for Rome

wear a money belt

by vikendall

Unfortunately, as it was explained to me, Rome is awash in gypsy pickpockets, not meaning to imply a racist remark. Be VERY careful with yourself, and be aware of your surroundings. My husband and I were outside the collloseum when a youth tried to knock him down. Wrong thing to do to my 'bear', a former football player. My husband didn't budge, but the youth fell to the ground. Do not put your wallet in your back pocket. They will slice your pocket, and you will never know. I, unfortunately, am a food oriented person. Rome has so many fine restaurants, and not enough time to visit them all. The waitstaff is fabulous, and friendly, yet very professional. The food is so light, you don't feel like you've eaten. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Tastes that will linger in your memory for years. Pay the price, enjoy yourself.

Rome: best dressed city in the world?

by Lacristina

I often tell people about the beautiful woman, with coifed hair and manicure, wearing jewelry, heels and a long elegant coat, who swept into the hotel in which I was staying. Ten minutes later I saw her in slippers and a pink maid's uniform!

While styles have definitely become more casual over the past five years, Rome still dresses up more than American cities. I'm not the clothes police, but if you're over 30, your jeans should probably be designer jeans and you should be wearing them with $300 stiletto heel leather boots. You never used to see Italians wearing shorts, but lately......

Big, bulky white running/walking shoes aren't seen much (though leather "bowling" shoes are popular). Ditch the fanny pack and I've never seen an Italian wearing sweats. Other than that, your feet need to be comfortable, cause you're going to be doing a lot more walking than the gorgeous Italian woman with the fabulous 300 Euro shoes.

To look more Italian, just carry a cell phone next to your ear and say loudly into it "COH-may?"

Of course, teenagers and 20-somethings dress more casually. You'll find them in torn jeans, backpacks and running shoes, just like everywhere. But you'll also find some young fashion victims wearing the newest (and sometimes bizarre) styles.

UPDATE, Oct 2005: The times they are a changing. If you can believe it - I actually saw three ITALIANS in sweat pants! To be sure, it was in Naples, but sweat pants? On an Italian? Good lord.

Orvieto

by janchan

Orvieto is in Umbria region, but very easy to reach by highway from Rome (about 1:30 hours). A lovely town with many places of interest.
It could be an excellent option for a day trip from Rome.

Check my specific page on this town, for more infos and pictures.

Rome public bus service

by Gili_S

Rome public bus service is cheap and easy to use if you jump on the right bus. Tickets should bought in advance in local kiosk, as you cannot buy ticket from a driver. One time ride was only one euro.

Would highly recommend because...

by vysnaite about Pastarito Pizzarito

Would highly recommend because of tasty to the last bit food, wonderful service, great atmosphere- a rare blend these days! Pastarito and Pizzarito. Great pasta, wonderful tiramisu, pizza also very good and most important very pleasant atmosphere and service ;)

Comments