Fiocca

Trastevere goldTrastevere gold

Angel with the Column, May 2007Angel with the Column, May 2007

Recommendations for restaurants in Rome

by Libra_law

My fiance and I will be in Rome in January. We'll be staying in the Aventino Hill area and would like recommendations for good restaurants away from the touristy areas, preferably where the locals go. The recommendations do not have to be close to this neighborhood as we'll be all over the city during our stay. We'll consider a spot in a touristy area if it is a place we absolutely cannot afford to miss:-)

Thanks

by pedroswift

Here's one that you may enjoy. I'm going back next visit to Rome: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/ae2c2/23513/2/

by marielexoteria

At the restaurants on my Rome page, we were the only tourists. You can go have a look.

by melosh

"Ambasciata de Abruzi" See my tip. Cost has probably increased since my last visit, but if history is any indication it will still be good value for the cost.

Locals do go to this restaurant. Certainly most of the people I saw where native speakers of Italian, but I expect that you will also see some other foreigners because this place has a great reputation. I think that its location means that it does not get walk-in tourist traffic.

I have been to this restaurant 3 times spaced over 30 years. I will go again if I ever get back to Rome.

by Roadquill

Hi Vicki, Once you get away from the restaurants that line the major tourist areas such as Piazza Navona or the Pantheon which seems to be about 50/50 locals/tourists it quickly switches to mostly Italians. Our favorite place is The Bear a few block North of Piazza Navona. We also enjoyed Maccheroni which is a few blocks from the Pantheon. Both of these are on my Rome page. Karl

by icunme

Ditto Tim's recommendation for der Pallaro - here is the description from my Rome restaurant tips - price is up a couple of Euro lately, but still the best bargain:
This is the most unique restaurant I have found in all of Rome! Not only is the food just great - but these people have fun serving you. Be seated and before you can even arrange your belongings, the antipasto of the day arrives along with the day's wine - a steady stream of courses follow. All the while, they might be poking fun at customers - sitting down at your table - telling people they have no choices but they'll eat when they have time to serve them. First-time customers here may look shocked - the regular Roman clientele will be laughing. You will receive the specialites of the day - each one typical Roman cusine - home cooked flavor - and all delicious.

You'll find the inscription: 'Qua se magna quello che passa casa' in Roman slang 'Here you eat what we give you" - always home made and of the best quality. You will feel as in the kitchen of a family. A five course meal of typically Roman food, including wine, coffee.
Ask Paola to go down to the wine cellar and have a quick look to the ancient Roman ruins of a theatre that are under your feet !!
We paid 46 Euro for complete dinner for 2 with many courses - wine of the day - desert - and expresso capper! Ask for limoncello after dinner.

Many more here on my Rome restaurant tips:

Travel Tips for Rome

Visit the Colloseum! I...

by Razorart

Visit the Colloseum! I couldn't believe my eyes. You know how it is when something so amazing makes you want to cry?
I visited it twice in the span of three days. Took many pictures. More to come.

Put small tissue packs in your purse!

by horsinround2

Leave room to bring back purchases & souveniers. I usually pack a small collapsable duffle bag for this. Hire a car/taxi to take you to the hotel. It's really not that expensive and after such a long flight the last thing you want to do is attempt to find your way around a foreign country with luggage. Make sure you are VERY CLEAR on how much luggage your hired car will hold. Cars are incredibly small compared to those in the USA and your idea of packing light might not leave room for you in the car. Bring VERY comfortable shoes. Walking on cobblestones (and that's pretty much all you'll be walking on) is incredibly rough on your feet, so put them in the most comfortable walking shoes you have. Sunscreen was also invaluable.

A friend who spends a lot of time here said to bring mosquito repellant, so we did. And it sat unopened in the hotel room the whole time. Guess it just wasn't that time of year. Put small tissue packs or napkins along with individually wrapped wet wipes in your purse. You will be very happy you have them when you manage to find a bathroom - most bathrooms don't haveTP or soap. Also pack a few band-aids & neosporin for any blisters you get from that marathon day spent walking half the city.

If you get even slightly seasick: pack Dramamine. This city moves. My sister & I both suffered from motion sickness due to the ground refusing to hold still (nope - no alcohol involved). With everything being built on top of something else & the metro running underground it all, it's like standing on a ship at sea.

If you have allergies: we found it helpful to write (in Italian) on a 3x5 card my mom's food allergies and on the other side her medical allergies. This made it much easier when ordering food and if there had been an emergency would have been a huge help in communicating with Dr's. Pack that epi-pen if you're allergic to bees. Lots of beautiful flowers here = a whole bunch of bees. We packed a ton of film, so didn't need any. But, we saw several one-hour film shops with plenty of Kodak film. Sunglasses, washcloth (the hotels don't have any), a small container of liquid laundry degergent for washing out clothes in the bathroom sink (means you won't have to pack as much), clothes that mix & match, a good guide book or three, and a pocket language dictionary. Churches have strict dress codes, so it's easiest to sightsee in pants, capri's, or long skirts and a shirt that has sleeves that at least cover your shoulders.

Books

by Gili_S about MEL

MEL bookstores are available in few big cities in Italy and I just happened to get into this one here in the centre of Rome. It was rather impressive selections of books and also CDs and DVDs. Most in Italian of course :)

The best way to travel in Rome...

by Roeffie

The best way to travel in Rome is taking the subway or bus.
And even more interesting discover Rome by foot, like we did.

Public transport in Italy is very cheap compared to the prices we pay in the Netherlands.

Or take a tour in the Pope's Car.

Italian food in general...

by Jenniflower about Italian food in general...

On the whole, Italian food is really good - it's tasty, satisfying, good in quantity, and, although the service is more often than not a little slow, and the customer toilets out back are more often than not slightly disgusting, the service generally comes with a friendly smile, and you don't have to dress up for it. It is also not expensive and has a good variety of food available.

Comments