Fiorini Hotel

Cross sectionCross section

Guido Reni's frescoeGuido Reni's frescoe

I have photos of places in Italy from 1968

by SenoraSusan

Please help me identify some photos from my wonderful Aunt's trip in 1968. They are of other parts of this country too. Her friend who was a priest took them many places.
These are great photos.
If you are interested please mail me and I will attach photos.

by craic

could you post the photos on your home page or somewhere else on VT?

I don't want to clog up my email box with photos - but i would love to have a look at old photos and see if i can recognise places

by mccalpin

ditto

Bill

by leics

Me too. You could perhaps scan them in and put them on your VT Rome page?

by unaS

ditto

by cgf

epperkeno? [e perché no - why not]

Travel Tips for Rome

Sultry silhouettes

by Jenniflower

I am speaking here once again as an artist and photographer.

There are so many stunning silhouttes in Rome, whether organic and natural, or straight and defined.

Simply beautiful! :)

Packing List

by Ricardo_J_M

It is temperate climate. We were here in winter and the weather was brisk in the mornings and warmed up in the afternoons and then again chilly at night. If you are like us we were leaving the hotel early and returning late. With that in mind tennis shoes or confortable walking shoes are a must. Leave the pumps at home. The usual stuff. Also don't forget the converter. All tourist shops have supplies for you to buy but remember there is no Wal-mart around so you will be spending more for what you could have brought.

Immigrant stores

by fairy_dust

Close to Termini, there are a lot of small shops run by immigrants (mostly African) and they sell a lot of cheap but cute things. Usually, these shops are on the smaller streets. I got a blue beaded drawstring purse, but I also saw a lot of jewelry, African drums, etc. I paid around 5 Euros for the purse.

Much more than pizza and pasta

by TheWanderingCamel about Trattoria and ristorante all over town

It's so easy to eat really well in Rome, at what ever level you're spending. Although not every meal we ate was a great gastronomic experience, there was only one meal that disappointed us - and that was at a very expensive catered function at Hadrian's Villa - a fabulous setting and food that wasn't up to an Italian Night fundraiser run by the local tennis club. The rest of the time wherever we ate - small osterie in quiet side streets, smart ristorante in fashionable areas, Trastevere trattorie, the cafeteria at Termini, the cafe on the corner by our hotel - and whatever we'd ordered - Roman specialities, exquisitely prepared fine dining dishes, gutsy regional fare, crusty paninis, lunchtime salads, delicious gelati - we always felt we'd eaten well and had had good value for our money.

Even the usual rule of avoiding touristy areas didn't really hold true. Admittedly, we didn't eat at any place bang on the doorstep of a major tourist site, but the lunch we ate down a side street within a line of sight of the Colosseum was both very reasonable and quite delicious, and a very large place near the Spanish Steps and packed to the rafters with tourists and locals had each one of our group of 6 virtullay licking their plates. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best - and it doesn't get much simpler than the Roman favourite, Cacio e Pepe - Cheese and Pepper pasta. Pepper's my favourite spice anyway, and this was my idea of heaven on plate - spaghetti cooked perfectly al dente and lightly dressed with a buttery mix of freshly ground black pepper and finely grated pecorino cheese. You'll find it on menus all over town, we had ours in a restaurant close to our hotel on Via Carlo Alberto, across the road and down a bit from the much more famous Agata e Romero that we'd intended to go to except that we found it closed. (Agata e Romero reputedly has some of the best food in Rome, but it closes on Saturday and Sunday)

You can't visit Rome and not eat Saltimbocca at least once. I had mine in a tiny trattoria somewhere near the back of Chiesa Santa Prassede - all red checked tablecloths and Roman families out for a Friday night meal. Cheap, cheerful, and very good.

Meltingly tender Spring lamb served with roasted rosemary potatoes and buttery spinach - another Roman favourite - that was the night near the Spanish Steps.

Of course we had to try the fried artichokes at Da Giggetto (Via Portico d'Ottovia 21) and I can't resist stuffed zucchini flowers (done here with mozzarella and anchovy). Both were excellent (this was not a day for dieting!) My secondi piatti - a tender braised beef dish with a wonderful fresh tomato sauce and more of those delicious rosemary potatoes was pretty good too.

Trippa alla Romana!

by Sarita76 about Dar Moschino

Dar Moschino is a typical roman trattoria where you can find only a few dishes, changing day by day. If you go on Thursdays you can have gnocchi! They also have yummy home-made cakes. By the way, I heard the owner saying that if you want to eat a different cake you can bring one and eat it there! Try trippa alla romana (roman-style tripe)! It's an unforgettable experience!!! :)

Comments