Franklin Hotel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 20% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• mec307's Profile Photo

Franklin - A Contemporary Dwelling

Overall, this was a very nice hotel to stay during our trip to Rome. My two sisters and I fit comfortably in a room with king size bed and roll away (much nicer than American roll-aways). Much smaller than American hotel rooms, but that was expected. Very clean, beds turned over very day. Breakfast served in dining area - includes cereal, juice, meats, cheeses, fruit, toast, pastries...enough to satisfy even the pickiest eater. Staff very friendly...helpful on getting around Rome, give restaurant recs, and will even call for reservations. Also with laundry service, but did not use.

Unique Quality: Smaller hotel about 4 blocks north of the Vatican. Easily accessible in good part of town for subway or bus to center of Rome.

Directions: If coming from airport, take a shuttle...will take you right to front doors.

• Clean and Modern Hotel

I stayed in a double room at The Franklin in early February 2005 in one of the camera rooms (which I believe is a 'pop' room on 2nd floor). There was a Bang&Olufsen stereo, mini bar, television with sky, speakers in bathroom, nice big bath tub and the bed was exteremly comfortable and huge (it was an actual double bed, not two singles put together like you sometimes get).
    Breakfast was nothing special.
    The staff are friendly enough, they left us to get on with our stay and made us feel comfortable.
    Surrounding area was excellent for me. Excellent daily markets 1 minutes walk away, excellent restaraunts, shops and about 6 minute walk to vatican (young legs). This area made me feel like I was not caught up so much in the tourist areas and gave me more of a feel for living in a neighbourhood.
    The area was very safe at night and all locals I encountered were wonderful.

It doesnt take long to walk to the tourist spots and you can easily get a tube to spannish steps and navigate from there, although it took me under 30 minutes to walk to this area from the hotel s did not use the trains, it was a very nice walk.

I got a great deal on this hotel so it was good value for money, I'm not sure I would pay the full rate otherwise. However I would not be dissapointed staying here in terms of comfort and location.

They can play dvds from reception to your room though they only had music dvds or finding nemo so perhaps bring a few dvds if you want more options though I'm pretty sure you're not going to Rome to sit in a hotel room every night?!

I found a good selection of pictures for the hotel on www.romeby.com/franklin in the gallery section if you want to see more.

This hotel is probably more suitable for those on a budget who want to spend more whilst in Rome than on the hotel.

If you wish to ask me any questions about this hotel feel free to e-mail.

Unique Quality: Big Bath

B&O CD stereo (linked to speaker in Bathroom)

CD library in reception

Very comfortable bed

Safe and friendly neighbourhood

Directions: North of Vatican in Prati District. Nearest tube station is Ottavio (hotel is 5 minute walk from this station)

More about Franklin Hotel

Excellent place to stay in Rome!

The Franklin is a very nice hotel . The staff couldn't have been more hopeful. They arranged for pick up at the airport. The rate was very reasonable at 55 euro. We stayed in the Rock room. The rooms are very modern with internet (webtv) and a stereo. They had a CD and DVD library with a great range of music. It is located close to the Vatican -10 minute walk and close to bus stops and Metro station. The breakfast was more than adequate. I'd stay again.

Dont stay here!!!

It started out as a nice stay However, on day 2 we were held hostage
and required to pay for a tour we never booked. My wife "inquired" about
a Vatican tour never booking it.

The manager "Daniel" refused to give us our room key until we paid for
her mistake... She pleaded with us that she would have to pay and
couldn't afford to pay out of her pocket, finally after 2 hours wasted
arguing we decided to pay so we could enjoy the rest of our trip handing
over our credit card she demanded cash! This was very unpleasant and
left a bad taste. There are plenty of better hotels than this one also
it's very far and out of the way from everything except the Vatican, The
local cab drivers couldn't even find this place, with the money you'll
spend on cabs and time wasted traveling to and from your hotel choose
something close by the Spanish steps or the Trevi Fountain...

Singing It's Praises!

by TripAdvisor Member Artsykidd

Friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful staff! The CD & DVD library is great. You can even hear the stereo in the bathroom. The pizzaria across the street was wonderful too! We walked to the Vatican daily.

A Fun and Great Hotel

We had so much fun in the Franklin Music Hotel. Great staff, fantastic breakfast, wonderful rooms & the fun perk of having our own CD player in the room with a lobby CD library. An easy walk to the Vatican and the Metro, we covered the city on foot and by subway. Finding a quiet hotel room in Rome is a feat, I'd stay in the Franklin Music Hotel again.

Very nice hotel, recommended highly

We just returned from our trip to Italy, where we stayed at the Franklin for 3 nights. We enjoyed it very much. We found the style and decor to be beautiful. It was our tastes - very modern and hip - but yet without trying too hard. Many fashionable hotels just try too hard, but the Franklin is understated, minimalist, but with really nice design. The room was very nice, we liked it a lot. Breakfast was good and included. The CD collection and sound system was very nice. Some other reviews have complained that it is far away from anything at all, but those people must be very lazy. We found the location to be nice. You can walk to the Vatican museum & St. Peter's within 10 minutes, and the metro stop is about 6 blocks away. That will quickly take you to any other part of Rome you wish to get to. Yes, staying at the bottom of the Spanish steps would be nice, but you will pay much more dearly than the very reasonable prices of the Franklin. All in all, we were extremely pleased with this hotel and would highly recommend it. The service was also quite above average.

Wouldn't recommend it

by TripAdvisor Member sdrawkcabekiM

We stayed in this hotel in 2003. When we arrived we had booked a double room and they showed us to the smallest room in the hotel - it was tiny.

The guy then offered us a "luxury" room for another few hundred Euros - it was basically a rip off.

Other than that the hotel is fine but it's out of the way with respect to the sites in Rome and it's really nothing special. The whole "Feel The Noise" thing is nonsense - the guy has a fairly small CD collection in the hotel lobby and, frankly, who goes to Rome to sit in the hotel and listen to CDs?

I wouldn't stay there again. I felt that this guy cons you when you arrive.

Great Stay

Stayed here for the first weeek in December. As a hotel, it was more than I expected. Room was small (typically European) but very modern and clean. Bathroom was also very clean and had decent space. The staff was very nice and helped us with maps and taxis. Having a CD player in the room was nice so we could check out the local CD's we bought. Breakfast was simple but good.

Location is the only drawback, although a quick hop on a bus got us to where we needed to go. It's a short walk to the Vatican, so that wasn't an issue. If you are staying for more that just a couple of days, the location should not be an issue. If you are staying for only 2 or 3 days it might be better to find something closer to the makor sites. The pizzaria around the corner was good and inexpensive.

I like this hotel overall because it was extremely comfortable and clean. The service was good and the people are nice.

I plan to stay here again when I return.

off the beaten path

Nice place. There were several problems with staying here. The air conditioner went out one night and was not repaired til the next day...very hot in June 04. The shower backed up and did not drain well. Location was very difficult to find and away from all the attractions. The room was well furnished but extremely small. It was quiet, clean, and cozy. The staff was very helpful and spoke some English.

Comments