Gambrinus Hotel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• heizler's Profile Photo

no more than 3 stars...

Stayed 3 nights in a room on the second floor, overlooking the french embassy, much nicer than the street side. The room was tiny, although being a double, had only one chair, a smelly shower - had to go and buy a deodorizer...(not dirty though). Air condition was hardly effective, although running on coolest mode. If you open the windows to get fresh air, Mosquitoes will eat you alive and the wind will bang the open shutters back and forth. (buy a repellent along with the deodorizer...On our last morning, there were no hot water to shower with. First hotel in which you have to stand in line for the elevator during the "rush hours". breakfast was OK. The hotel provides maps with bus lines to access the central areas, but no way to know how to get back! make sure you know your way back. As it was a last minute deal, booked through "hotwire.com",

Unique Quality: Wifi was good with a router inside the room. you get a password from reception for the whole stay, but if you have more than one device, you will need a separate pass for each.

• unaS's Profile Photo

Typical 3*

The breakfast was limited and the coffee not too good.

The room was attractive. It had a clock-radio, a TV, somewhat overdone furnishings, but not unpleasant. Clean with a comfortable bed. Good hot water.

The price was reasonable, but it was a very long walk to any of the sites that most tourists want to visit.

Unique Quality: The best thing about this hotel was the Trattoria just across the street and slightly to the right, as you step out the front door. Absolutely delicious food, reasonable prices and really nice, friendly staff.

Note: There are at least 2 hotels with the name Gambrinus, maybe more. This review refers to the one on via Piave 29.

Directions: Old city, Piazza Flume area

• Small but extravagant rooms (small indeed)

One subject must be addressed right away: The rooms are small! Not in the sense that they don't feel luxurious, but in the sense that they are too small for two people to move around in at the same time! A plausible guess is that they have divided up the original rooms in two, in order to double the dough. Still, the rooms are acceptable, if you seriously don't intend to spend any significant amount of time at the hotel. Also, we were luckily, but strangely enough, able to fit both our large suitcases on the floor.

Nevertheless, we were almost very satisfied with our stay. This is to a large part due to the nice location, which will be commented on below. In addition, the rooms were clean and decorated in an extravagant manner, giving you the sense that you were staying at some (doll sized) royal palace.

The service in general was perhaps not more than average compared to what northern Europeans and North-Americans are used to, but given the fact that we were in the Italian capitol, where “the fault is someone else’s, and I can certainly not do anything about it” - mentality is dominating, the treatment we received was quite satisfactory. This is especially true since free candy was constantly abundant in the lobby and elsewhere.

The lobby, also known as the candy distribution area, and other public areas were clean and somewhat upscale, and decorated in light colors. The reception was staffed 24/7, but don’t expect to meet the same receptionist twice. Unknown faces were always appearing, giving the hotel excellent abilities to let you know that you were unfortunately not speaking to the right person for whatever problem in hand.

All staff was friendly though, and your suitcases are brought to the room for you. Tip is probably expected, but don’t overdo it. A euro is plentiful. The biggest hassle concerning luggage is after all finding a place for it in your room.

Unique Quality: Some “tourist-aid” were requested and received at the reception, such as information on tour buses and transportation to the airport. A plus for the receptionist letting us check out an hour late; 12:00 instead of the regular 11:00.

The hotel offers in-room cable TV, with additional pay-per-view channels, as well as hair dryer, telephone and a mini-bar. The public areas are air-conditioned. This goes for the hotel rooms as well, but be aware that the in-room AC is not turned on until May, which is not very practical if you, like us, are experiencing the spring heat in April.

The hotel is 5 stories or so tall, and is larger than the intimate doorway reveals. Intimate is an even more suiting description of the one and only elevator, which, in addition to being strikingly slow, leaves little room for more than yourself and perhaps your thoughts.

In the cellar, the breakfast room serves an included and quite average continental breakfast . It is served between 07:00 and 10:00, and you should not take the chance of running late, as the eager waiter promptly removes the food at the set time.

At night the breakfast room turns into a restaurant/bar. The prices seemed reasonable, but it had a limited selection of dishes and not really a cozy cellar atmosphere.

The cellar also rooms two internet-computers, and there is a free of charge wireless network, but it didn't work until a couple of hours before check out the last day.

One particularly stupido thing about this hotel was the 20 € charge per day if you used the mini-bar. After traveling the world and back, we have never experienced such a bizarre rule. As the law-abiding citizens we are, we thus chose to throw away the Gouda cheese, rather than breaking the absurd ban on personal food-preservation. True; this will probably not in itself prevent me from staying at this hotel again. Even more true; this gives the hotel a ridiculous flaw that it could do very well without.

Directions: It's a safe and quiet area within walking distance of all attractions. A nice and sensibly priced restaurant is across the street. A bus stop is outside the hotel. The main railstation, is within a 15 minutes walk. A limo service to the airport is 57 €.

• An excellent hotel

The room was very nice, the staff very helpful and plesant. I would strongly recommend the hotel to others. One of the things that I particularly liked was that it was a bit off the main street and therefore more quiet. There was a taxi stand 1 minute's walk from the hotel, so it was easy to catch a cab without paying the additional fee for calling a cab to the hotel. Especially nice were the two computers in the bar in the lowest level that you could use to connect to the internet. I liked the hotel very much. My only complaint was the mattress, which was a bit hard and you could feel the springs through it. But everything else was so nice about the hotel that the mattress seemed like a minor inconvenience.

Unique Quality: Internet access, very good continental breakfast which included sliced meats.

Directions: East Southeast of Villa Borghese, North of the train station.

More about Gambrinus Hotel

Great hotel for the price

We recently stayed at the Hotel Gambrinus, and we had a great time. It is centrally located, and clean. It is a little bit small compaired to American standards, but the staff was wonderful. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Good price & truly clean hotel in Rome

I have recently stayed at the Gambrinus Hotel for 4 days and I can only agree with most other reviewers that the place is truly great value for money. It's spotlessly clean, service is fast, friendly and helpful and it's the first hotel I have ever stayed in where the airconditioning worked .
The location is quite. The area is teeming with all sorts of convenient shops, food, travel appliances. Everything in the room worked and room service was excellent.
Breakfast was good, food fresh and well presented, what else would one want from a hotel? In addition, the price was very reasonable (and I have a good deal of experience in this in most parts of the world...) and again, the location of the hotel means that you are right next door to all public transport facilities I would recommend it. The price was very reasonable in comparison to other hotels price . It was cheaper to make the reservation through the hotel website.

Absolutely Fantastic Service

Courtesy, benevolence, expertise and an incredibly warm smile is what I was greeted with at the Gambrinus Hotel. My stay in Rome was exponentially improved because of the helpful staff at the quietly tucked away hotel. Everyone from the shy bellboy to the breakfast servers to the maids were willing at anytime day or night to answer a question or provide a smile. One particularly exceptional staff member was Christina at the front desk, who relentlessly and tirelessly provided me with information, directions and everything in between. Her beautiful smile and personable demeanor made us feel at ease immediately. One night, my friends and I wanted to eat at a local spot. She instructed the bell boy to walk with us (three girls late at night) to the restaurant in event of getting lost. He happily obliged and told the maitre d' to give us whatever we needed. It is just that sincere personal touch that makes the Hotel Gambrinus the best place to stay in Rome. I have been traveling for many years, and the staff at the Gambrinus ranks among the best hotels in the world.

I'd stay there again!!

If you read all of the reviews and discount the really bad ones, you have a pretty good picture of the Gambrinus Hotel. Our double room was small, but pretty typically European. The bathroom door (opening inward) in one of our two rooms was inconvenient, but the other room has a much more rational sliding door. The shower doors ARE very small, esp. for a larger person. Also, the location is only so-so, but OK for the price; and two or three bus lines buses run right by the front door.
The good definitely outweighed the slight negatives. Our two rooms were clean and very nicely appointed. They were ready when promised, and the rate charged was the rate agreed upon. There were also no hidden ticky-tacky charges of any type. The continental breakfast was the BEST of our 2 wks in Italy, and the front desk service (especially the young lady!) was excellent.
On a side note, there is a little mom and pop (literally) restaurant down and across the street from the hotel which was excellent. Nobody spoke a word of English, but pointing and smiles went a long way. It was about as "untouristy" as you could get. A very nice plate of pasta for under 5E, and a 2L bottle of water for 1.5E (not a misprint!). (We stopped by each morning to get our daily water rations) It was a definite pleasure NOT to be ripped off at mealtime.
Anyway, I'd definitely go back to the Hotel Gambrinus again.

Perfect

We stayed in very early August. The hotel was perfect! We checked in after a very long flight and just wanted to sleep. The shuttle service from the airport to the hotel was cheap and painless - it runs every half hour during daylight hours and costs about 4 euros or something really cheap.

We walked in without any baggage, and the person greeting us (I think her name was Gabriella?) was almost psychic. She figured our luggage was coming later and left a note for the bellman to prepare for it but not disturb us because we were sleeping. She gave us a quick 2 minute briefing on all the spots to see in Rome on a map. We told her how much time we had and she said: "The nightlife is here and here, shopping is here, cheaper shopping is there, there's a great view of Rome from here, and here's Saint Peter's, etc". She was amazing!

The room was small, but normal sized for a european hotel. Well decorated. Awesome breakfast - fresh, friendly people, tons of selection. The free internet access was nice too - but is available only after 9am or something - would have been nice to have it be 24 hours.

The location was okay. It's right near a busline that takes you directly to Saint Peters and cuts right through the heart of Rome too. We didn't take the metro, but the stop isn't far. I say take buses if you can because you can see more of the city.

I think the best part was the phone call bill. I was expecting some astronomical nickle and diming you out of money bill for the couple of phone calls i made - they only charged me .10 euros per call - no connection fees or anything. All the staff was friendly. We only got our room cleaned once because we had a funny schedule and it was so small we just kept it clean ourselves. Nice bath products, small shower though. AC worked fine. All-in-all though - perfect!

Giving new meaning to the word 'small'

by TripAdvisor Member chicagoborn40

Okay, so, I had just spent a week at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum in London (check my review) and was expecting another smallish hotel room, but, this was insanely small. In addition it was a little run down and depressing looking as well. The lobby area is small but bright and the staff totally wonderful, but, this is not the experience you want for the first time in Rome.

The hotel boasts room sevice, a bar, Internet service and a breakfast room. We were ther for two days and the only thing available on that list was the Internet, but be sure to bring your Italian phrasebook, because surprise! The Internet is not in English, but Italian. You have to figure out how to change the language option which is not easy if you don't speak Italian.

The closet space is extremely limited (four hanger in a 1.5 foot wide closet), so you'll have to live out of your suitcase while there. Don't be fooled by the photos of the room.

Also, the elevator can only hold you and a suitcase, so be ready to walk the stairs. Finally, lose weight and shrink in size before your arrival, as the shower door only opens about 6 inches for you to get in and when you do get in, good luck moving around in the most narrow shower ever. Beware the rapidly fluctuating water temperature and the high above your head shower bonnet head that will almost drown you. Long story short, I would put more stock in the questionable experiences from the reviewers on this site. I would not pay the kind of money I put down for this hotel again. The superior room we had was definitely a standard room found in a 1 star hotel.

For a much better experience, and a hotel less than two blocks from the train station in the midst of good restaurants and deeply discounted steet shopping stay at the Morgana Royal Court.

Disaster

It was the most terrible hotels I have ever stayed. Very small rooms. I felt staying at a storage room. I payed for a 4 star hotel but I received 1 star service. Do not bother wasting your money. It was weird to pay extra money for capuccino in Italy at breakfast. I wrote a long complaint letter to the manager but he did not even bother to write back a response. Horrible 3 days. I do not want to remember.

hotel gambrinus

by mlesliec

has anyone ever stayed at hotel gambrinus in rome? we will have children with us, and i am wondering if it would be suitable. thanks

Re: hotel gambrinus

by unaS

If you mean the Gambrinus on via Pave, I stayed there back in 2001. Can't say that I remember anything special about it one way or the other. The breakfast was limited and the coffee not too good. There was a safe in the room which is very important in Italy, since you don't want to carry a lot of money around with you.

What was the best thing about this hotel was the Trattoria just across the street and slightly to the right, as you step out the front door. Absolutely delicious food, reasonable prices and really nice, friendly staff.

As for children, I don't see any reason why that should be a problem. It is a family type hotel.

Have fun!

Re: hotel gambrinus

by unaS

BTW - just checked the internet. I see that there are a number of hotels with the name Gambrinus. I am refering to the Gambrinus Hotel on via Piave 29, not the one on via Piave 35.

Comments