Giglio Dell Opera

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 41% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Rome

gardens of Villa D'Estegardens of Villa D'Este

This way to the airport trainThis way to the airport train

Fountain at Piazza di SpagnaFountain at Piazza di Spagna

Another lovely sculptureAnother lovely sculpture

Anyone have good advice for currency exchange

by dnat

Ive examined all routes, all seem like a rip off, credit cards charge 4% minimum for advances, my banks all charge 3% for using associated atm machines, have read that the airport and other exchange locations are worse, anyone recommend anything better, what do banks in Italy typically charge and how good are their exchange rates at those specific branches , tia

by leics

You will always pay charges however and wherever you change money, even if they are hidden (e.g. 'no commission' always means slightly lower rates). It's not a rip-off, imo. Services have to be funded.

Airport exchange booths generally give a worse rate than booths elsewhere, in my experience. When I investigated changing cash at banks I found that there was a commission charge there too. Exchange booths seemed a better bet. Can't give you exact info though, sorry.

Most people use ATMs, as they seemingly give the better rate (I don't use them, so can't tell you or way or the other) But obviously it depends on the charges your card provider makes.

by Dabs

You're going to lose something on currency conversion, that's pretty much a given. What I finally did was get myself a Capital One credit card, they are one of the few that don't charge the foreign transaction fee (my Chase card charges 3%, my bank charges 3% plus ATM fees since I'm not using that bank). Bank of America does waive ATM fees if you use one of their associated banks but they still charge a foreign transaction fee. Airports tend to be the worst exchange rate.

by Trekki

EC card = Maestro card:

by ForestqueenNYC

Dabs I have Capitol 1 and they recently started charging me a fee. American Express Gold Card, however, does not.

by Dabs

A fee for what? Using your card internationally? I was just in Canada in August and I didn't see any foreign transaction fee listed, I believe it is now required to show it separately from the purchase on your statement. I do not have an annual fee, at least not one that I'm aware of.

by ForestqueenNYC

Dabs, I made a mistake. It's Amex that has recently started charging me the transaction fee.

Thanks to you asking me that question, I checked my statement and found that I had some fraudulent charges to my account. I am still not sure how they obtained my cc number. The charges were made in the U.S. and I am in Paris. If you hadn't challenged me on that, I wouldn't have discovered the charges until a few days later as I don't check my online account everyday. Fortunately Capital 1 had already blocked my card.

by sam300

ATM machine are your best option, also ATM at airport charge more, atleast my experience, I use ATM at airport and than in the city, airport transaction charge me more. So take some local cash with you for taxi or bus and than withdraw more in the city, also ATM outside bank, if ATM eat your card you have better chances to get it back.

Travel Tips for Rome

Great Gilato near Trevi fountain

by caffelatte

Il Gelato di San Crispino, Via della Panetteria 42, near Trevi Fountain.
When you are walking towards the fountain, you will very likely miss this place amidst all those shops that have huge boards selling everything from espresso to gelato. It is a minute walk from the fountain. This is gelato only place, and the best gelato I had.

Enjoy A Flavorful Gelato

by Ladyplus

Mmmmm! Gelato is "Italy's Ice Cream". It comes in many flavors, made with fresh fruit, cookies, or candies. You can find a shop that sells gelato almost everywhere. Just look for a group of Italians, or tourist that are busy, licking away their scoops of cream and you'll soon find the gallons of this colorful, tasty frozen treat to choose from. A gelato a day keeps the doctor away!

Hendrik Christian Andersen Museum

by abarbieri

The museum contains the works of the sculptor Andersen born 1872 in Bergen (Norway) who lived for about 40 years in Rome. He was a naturalised American citizen who settled in Rome after travelling through Europe to further his education. The collection is made up of over 200 sculptures in plaster and bronze:

Museo Hendrik Christian Andersen
c/o Villa Helene
Via Pasquale Stanislao Mancini 20 (few minutes walk from Piazza del Popolo)
00196 - Roma
Tel. +39.06.3219089
Fax +39.06.3221579

Opening Hours:
Tuesday - Sunday 9am - 7pm
Monday closed

Free Entrance

There is also a small coffee shop and a lovely terrace

I got to Rome on a train from...

by junkproof

I got to Rome on a train from Paris. Paris Bercy, a train station nobody knew about, on the most ghetto SNCF train you've ever seen. Don't do it. Friends don't let friends ride couchettes =)

I think the best way to get to Rome is on an airplane. Business or First class if you need to cross an ocean.
Taxis are relatively cheap, but if you can figure out the bus system (just ask the front desk at your hotel) it's relatively efficient, and much cheaper too. I didn't find the subway terribly useful, until the last day, when I was trying to see everything instantly.

Bucatini!

by AlexDJ about Da Bucatino

This is an old, typical roman "Trattoria" , located in the heart of Testaccio Area. Here, in an atmosphere that still recalls the past "dolce vita" style years (with a lot of pictures of famous people of that time decorating the walls), you can enjoy all the main roman dishes, served by the local staff with a familiar courtesy. Bucatini all'amatriciana (a kind of long pasta with tomato meat sauce and cheese), as the name of the restaurant means, are the best dishes. But also rigatoni with pajata (kind of short pasta in tomato sauce added with lamb intestine) are special.
Don't forget to ask for "puntarelle", a sort of vegetables dressed with vinagre and anchovies.

Comments