Golden Beach Hotel

Via Gioiosa Marea 63, Rome, Italy
AMOMA.com

More about Rome

Inside the ColosseumInside the Colosseum

on Ponte Garibaldi towards Isola Tiberinaon Ponte Garibaldi towards Isola Tiberina

Emperor Constantine IEmperor Constantine I

Capitoline Museum - Innocent X bronze statue.Capitoline Museum - Innocent X bronze statue.

Traveling to Rome in August?

by EJNB

Hello,

Is traveling to Rome in August a good idea, with the temperature and weather conditions in mind? My boyfriend is in Italy for an internship during the summer, and he has two weeks off in August. Our current plan is for me to fly to Italy during those two weeks and to go on several citytrips (Rome/Milan/Pompeii etc.) together.

However, browsing through some websites, I noticed that it's very (or even: extremely?) hot in August in Italy. Would you recommend going to Italy for citytrips in August, or not?

Thanks!

Ellen & Niek

by dory77

Yes, August can be very hot, and the 15th of August is a holiday here, and Italians tend to take 2-3 weeks of vacation.. So, you might find many shops, restaurants and bars closed during that time.

The good part is: it's empty and there's no traffic!!

by Ina08

As already pointed out August 15th is a banking holiday here in Italy and the week where most people will take their holidays.
Benefits: no traffic, less people
Disadvantage: mostly tourists, places might be closed,

But, Rome being a tourist destination, you will find plenty of choices.

And yes, it might be hot, so you could plan to hop to the coast and have a bath at the seaside.

by Maryimelda

Just be sure that your accommodation has air-con. It can get really hot and stuffy when you are trying to sleep.
It's true that many places are closed for the holidays, but I'm sure that there will be enough available to keep you busy.

by bmill25

I went to Rome last August on my honeymoon, and yes, it is quite hot. We didn't quite pack for the heat and we had to buy a few clothes while there. I would suggest light clothes, clothwise and colorwise. We tended to go out in the morn. around 9 or so, come back at 12 or 1, take a nap, and go out again around 5. The afternoon hours are quite warm. But at night, its beautiful. Seventy degrees, and eating a good pizza on a comfortable chair next to via Cavour.... DAMN I WANNO GO BACK. I guarentee you you'll have a blast whenever you go, cause, hey ITS ROME! Have a fun trip.

by giuliar25

Though Rome/Pompeii is generally hot in August certain places were alright while others were ridiculous. For example if you go to the Forum it feels so much hotter than other places in the city but if you bring enough water and take breaks it's fine. Pompeii is another one of those places. But don't cancel your trip because of it. Also, I've stayed in Rome, and in Siena during August and you can get ranges in temperature from warm to raining to hot. Just buy a gelato every couple of steps and you'll enjoy the weather :D.

by Laura_Mexico

LOL agree with giuliar, definitely gelato and GRATTACHECCA (hopefully you can find this while touring Rome, it's grated ice with flavor and fruit pieces, super yummy and refreshing!!) will help you survive the extreme weather.... it's true that it's excessively hot but nothing you can't deal with unless you live in the north pole. Enjoy yourself.....

Travel Tips for Rome

Chiesa di San Luigi dei Francesci

by extrajoce

This church is especially worth the visit for the 3 Caravaggio paintings it harbours in its Contarelli Chapel. They are super in situ examples of the talent of this revolutionary Italian artist whose fame brought him much acknowledgement, but whose lifestyle made him persecuted. The church in itself is also beautiful, as shown here, but is by no means exceptional compared to other buildings or Rome.

Hang out in Rome's Central Park

by nyonnetti

Not sure if this is considered "Off the Beaten Path" but we spent some time in Villa Borghese, Rome's "Central Park." It provided some reprieve from the extensive amount of walking and sight-seeing we did in this bustling city. It was like a breath of fresh air to be there. We just strolled through the paths and green grass, with huge trees canopying us. There were some amazing monuments to peer at and fountains to sit around and enjoy listening to. We found out fair share of people falling in love which provided some entertainment for us. I noticed that you could rent something that looked like a golf cart that you cycle around the park in. We did not do it but it looked like fun!
The Villa Borghese is right next to the Galleria Borghese- an awesome museum that is worth checking out, especially if you like Bernini.

Villa Borghese and the Galleria Borghese are not far from the Spanish Steps.

Take to the Streets

by jelw about All over Rome

All over Rome the night is alive. Walk, anywhere and everywhere. People are out in the streets looking at fountains lit, watching street musicians, slipping in and out of tavernas. As you walk don't forget to look around, all the little side streets even have architecture and adornment worthy of checking out.

DO NOT EAT NEXT TO ANY IMPORTANT SITE

by Rebecca76 about The food is expensive and aweful!!!

Honestly, get a soda/water and a snack if you need something while near one of the sites. Other than that, it is a waste of money, time and tastebuds. If you have to, get a bottle of wine, tap water and they will bring you something to much on. Dont have a full meal. I promise, you wont regret it.

No Rome trip is complete without....

by kjburden

The Colisseum is a place I have wanted to see since I learned about it in elementary school. Who knew it'd be a dream come true? My husband and I visited in early December 2009. At this time, it was chilly but the amount of tourists was miniscule which made the cold worth it. We hopped on the bus and took in all the sights around us. I looked up and saw the Colisseum in the distance and it took my breath away. We immediately got off the bus (don't know why we didn't ride all the way there!) and walked toward it. It amazed me seeing this ancient structure surrounded by busy roads, people rushing around and all the noise. It seemed so out of place, but was still beautiful. Along the route we saw ancient ruins that somehow survived the building of roads and modern buildings. It makes you wonder why these fallen columns and stones weren't removed to put in a new restaurant or apartment building. We arrived too late to get inside the Colisseum, but walked all around it taking pictures. There were vendors there selling little trinkets and souvenirs and snacks, but they were easy to ignore. It was also easy to avoid the "gladiators" who roamed around the grounds. We planned to visit again the following day before our departure from Rome, but it was raining rather hard so we decided not to. Just another reason to plan a trip back!

Comments