Golden Gallery

Piazzale Ammiraglio Bergamini 12, Rome, 00136, Italy

More about Rome

Ostia Antica - there is a BEACH nearby in OstiaOstia Antica - there is a BEACH nearby in Ostia

The kitchenThe kitchen

Piazza NavonaPiazza Navona

Closeup lace bridal gown for Princess MàximaCloseup lace bridal gown for Princess Màxima

daily tour of Rome

by genebeans

Anyone know of a good half day or full day tour of Rome.We took an American Express tour about 25 years ago and would like to do something similar again.Thanks-Gene

by mccalpin

Gene, I've never done a formal tour of Rome, but I am sure that you will hear from people here who have. Some may suggest the 110 bus, which is the hop-on, hop-off bus, but I have heard complaints about it being very crowded. Besides, I would suppose that you are looking for the quality of guide, in any case.

Besides the suggestions that you get here, you might send an email to Antonio (VT member abarbieri). Yes, he is in the travel biz in Rome, but a number of our frequent Rome correspondents have met him in person, and appreciate his help and advice.

Buon viaggio!

Bill

by genebeans

Thanks Bill-You are correct as I don,t want a hop off and hop on as no one will ever see me again. I will wait a day or so to hear from someone. thanks for the quick response-Gene

by dl3424

I have not used www.viator.com for Rome tours but have used this website for many other tours and have always been pleased. See below for possibilities.

Daytime tour:

Evening tour:

by Craigellachie

You could do worse than check out grayline.com

Usually a safe bet - never world class, but always OK. The complimentary hotel pick up can be time-consuming sometimes. If you're near the metro it can be more convenient to go to their office that way and meet the bus there.

by Ladymarian1

Can't comment on tours of Rome as we're hitting this city in May, but I have used Viator tours in Budapest x 2 and in Prague x 1. Very good service, guides excellent and meal that was provided was of good quality and value. Would definitely use Viator again and recommend. Hope this is of help

Ladymarian

by genebeans

Many thanks-i have bookmarked viator tours and they seem to offer quite a bit at resonable prices.. Seems very good-Thank you--Gene

Travel Tips for Rome

Mausoleum Visit

by sandysmith

To visit the Interior of Hadrians Mausoleum you first go down a slope to the lower levels and then gradually climb up the levels whilst circling around various courtyards. In the courtyards too there are some lovely features like this angel statue. There is also a restaurant up here and is a great place for a snack or drink.

Palestrina

by fishandchips

Palestrina predates the founding of Rome by several hundred years. It had some of the most luxurious villas of the Roman Empire (including emporer Hadrian). Its most famous child was Pier Luigi da Palestrina, recognized as the father of polyphonic harmony.

The town disappeared with history until World War II when bombs dropped cleared an ancient site and a pagan temple emerged: the Fortuna Primigenia, rebuilt in the days of the empire but dating from centuries before. In Palestrina you'll find a Duomo (with a mostly intact bell tower) and Museum (Museo Archeologico) which can be found at the highest point of the town (it's hard to miss!). The museum's exhibits include Etruscan remains from the area, and Roman tablets, artefacts and statues. Star exhibit is the Nile Mosaic depicting the river Nile and its lions, crocodiles and even Roman galleys! Make sure you keep your Museum ticker as across from the Museum are exposed sections of the old temple (which you need your ticket to be able to enter).

As with Frascati, to get here you use a COTRAL bus which run from Anagnina station (South end of the A Metro line) to Palestrina.

no 64 Bus

by amandahep

The number 64 bus takes you to the Vatican and is a fairly good method of transport. We did not read the guide book until we returned to our room. This is the bus where you either get pick pocketed or your bottom pinched.
Roving hands were our only problem and it is super packed to capacity.
Be very careful of your wallets/bags - we were warned by Italians!

Horrible Service

by fccrunch about Trattora da Lucia

It was our last night in Rome and we were looking to have a special and fun dinner out. Nothing too expensive but a restaurant located in a interesting part of town and that had great food. One of our guide books recommended Lucia's in the Trastevere.
When the waiter came we ordered an antipasto, salad, main pasta course of Tortolini, bread, and a 750 ml of house red wine. When we ordered the meal I initally ordered everything but the salad and then I ordered the Insalata Misto and told the waiter I wanted the salad before or "primo" the tortolini. The waiter kept saying "Si, Si" and ran off. That was were the trouble began.
Anyway, the wine, bread and antipasto came and it was very good and we were having a great time. Then the waiter came and brought out the pasta and my wife tried to tell him the salad came first and he became very upset and started to yell at her. She tried to smile and explain in very broken italian the "insalata Primo" and he still was yelling in very fast italian. At this point the restaurant became very quiet and all the customers and waiters were staring at our table. I tried to intervene by attempting to tell the waiter that he should just bring the salad out at the same time. Would you believe he refused to acknowledge me. He just kept yelling at my wife and would not look, answer, or even turn in my direction. I even raised my voice saying "Senore" several times and he refused to turn toward me and we were just about a foot from each other. I have never been so angry. I began to stand up to get his attention and he turned away abruptly and took the pasta with him.
Well, we sat their dumbfounded not knowing what to do. In a few minutes he returned with the salads and I tried to ask for the pasta back and he said no problema and turned away again. In a while he brought the pasta and my wife and I had a few bites of it and could eat no more. We asked for the check, left the money with no tip and exited as quickly as possible.
It was horrible so be forewarned! Nothing

Drunken Goodness

by nmesser

Lots and lots of americans. Awsome place to go to in the summer and if you like to be around lots of american college students. Summer months are glorious, jam packed, hot and full of good times. Winter months on the other hand is a lot less packed and a lot colder. You can always find an english speaking person though. Always a good time.

Comments