Grand Olympic - Aurum Hotel

See Amenities

Good Place to Stay

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 17, 2006

First arriving at our hotel, we were tired/cranky and just wanted to have a nap before exploring the city. When we got to our room, it was nothing like the pictures on the internet and seemed very dark with peeling wallpaper. After we had sleep and food, things perked up. We had a double bed with a doorway going into the next bedroom w/ two twin beds and huge bathroom. The ceilings were very high, windows very large and had huge shutters/curtains to block out any sounds or light. The rooms were quite large and were kept clean.

We had a free breakfast every morning which was a life saver as we found eating out in Rome to be very expen$ive. There was deli meat, yogurt, toast, cereal, fruit, pastries, etc. The dining room was clean and the food was good.

BEST thing about the hotel was the location, just blocks from St. Peters and the Vatican. The hotel is by the Cola di Rienzo with quite a few stores that are generally open late, and a food market across the street where you can buy fruit, chocolate, a skinned lamb...whatever you like!

A few blocks down the street is the Piazza Risorgimento with a large market set up under tents. You can barter for souvenirs, gadgets, clothing, jewelery, etc. Also where a small bus transit center is - taking the #81 bus that departs from here goes across the river, down the Via del Corso and past the trevi fountain, pantheon, forum, colloseum, etc.... While it is possible to walk to all of these places, taking the bus saved us time. You can also take this bus back to the piazza risogimento. Its fun to take the bus and get off at random locations to explore on foot around the city as you stumble across many things. Also great - although you are required to buy a bus pass and then validate it on a little machine once you get on the bus - we found many people did not do this and you can then ride the bus for free. I woudl suggest buying a 1 ride pass just in case someone asks you to see your ticket, then you can just say you forgot to validate it.

Unique Quality: All in all it was a great place to stay. It was nothing fancy but had the basics and was clean. The only downside was that there was only a tub w/ a hand-held shower head. The hotel staff didn't give us any grief. The woman at the front desk seemed slightly arrogant but she was helpful. We were hardly in our hotel as there is much to see in Rome and slept very well at night. I would definitely stay there again.

Directions: Turn right off the Colo di Rienzo onto Properzio. Near the piazza risorgimentio and St. Peters.

Janani's Profile Photo

A Room With Striking Décor

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 3, 2006

When my mum told me she’d booked us into this hotel, I looked up all the reviews I could find and found them very mixed, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I got there and when we did arrive, I could see that most of the things people said were true but of course, what appeals to one person doesn’t suit another. I really liked the hotel though and would certainly be happy to stay here again.

We knew that it was well located to visit the Vatican museums and St Peter’s Basilica, having once been a papal palace itself, but once we arrived there, we realised we could in fact visit many of Rome’s popular tourist attractions on foot, without any difficulty and in fact had no need to use the metro during our stay. We also found it easy to reach the hotel from Fiumicino airport; we took the train from the airport to Termini and then a number 64 bus to St Peter’s, from where the bus driver pointed us in the right direction for the hotel

Our room had very striking décor; the walls were papered with jade green, slightly padded velvet, which contrasted with the mostly terracotta and gold brocade curtains and soft furnishings! It was nice and cosy despite the cold January winds and the bathroom was a very good size with two washbasins and a choice of fixed or hose style shower over the bathtub. Some of the criticisms I had seen of the hotel were regarding dirty fabric furnishings and faulty items. We found our room very clean although there was a mark on the bathroom ceiling, as though someone upstairs had let the bath overflow. Also the door handle did fall off the outside of the room while we were there but as it was only a decorative one, it did not affect us using the door and was repaired efficiently the same morning. I think this can be expected when staying in an older building and wasn’t troubled by it.

Unique Quality: The breakfast included in the cost was served in the basement, which had some clever lighting panels that gave the impression of frosted glass windows; these prevented the small room from having a claustrophobic feel. There were crispy light rolls, pastries, cereals and plates of meat, cheese and hard boiled eggs to choose from. The coffee available on the table was rather poor but most people seemed to be ordering espresso or cappuccino from the kitchen, which was much better. The room got quite busy, as the end of the set time for breakfast drew near.

The staff at the reception were very efficient and helped us by giving us directions and recommending places to eat nearby.

Directions: It is situated on the corner of Via Properzio and Via Cola di Rienzo, very close to the Vatican and not far from the river, which you can cross using one of the many bridges to see the main places of interest to tourists.

MissThing606's Profile Photo

Excellent location, very helpful staff

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 29, 2004

What can I say?

I booked via Expedia and requested a small fridge - and got it.

The staff speak good English and helped me out with Transport advice and called me a cab back to Termini.

My room was a bit small, but it was a single- (and I didn't go Rome to stay in my hotel room)!

The room had a double bed, air-condtioning. The bathroom had a tub and bidet with a small hairdryer by the basin.

The linen and towels were changed every-day and the room was so quiet, I slept through the night!

The room had a small TV. The onlu English channel was CNN, which I understand is standard for Roman hotels. It hink there was also a French channel

I was there from 19 September 2004 till 23 September 2004.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone!

Unique Quality: It's a great hotel, 5 minutes walk from the Vatican, 10 minutes walk from two Metro stations (Ottaviano - San Pietro and Lepanto)and just off a main road that has some great shops such as:

Furla
Calvin Klein
Coin (Roman Department store)
There is also an indoor market bang opposite the Hotel Junction with fresh fruit, veg and sliced meats.

Via Ottaviano (5-to mins away) has lots of shops especially shoes, clothes and bags.

With a location like this, you could take public transport during your stay. It's also on the route 81 which is quite frequent, and the 492 and 23 which aren't so frequent!

Directions: Off Via Crecenzio, 5 mins walk from Piazza Cavour.

From the opposite direction, it's 5 mins from Piazza Risorgiomento, where with lots of bus stops.

Nearby Grand Olympic - Aurum Hotel

• Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Pets Allowed

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews