Via Properzio 2a, Rome, Lazio, 00193, Italy

Hotels.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Satisfaction Average

• Good Place to Stay

First arriving at our hotel, we were tired/cranky and just wanted to have a nap before exploring the city. When we got to our room, it was nothing like the pictures on the internet and seemed very dark with peeling wallpaper. After we had sleep and food, things perked up. We had a double bed with a doorway going into the next bedroom w/ two twin beds and huge bathroom. The ceilings were very high, windows very large and had huge shutters/curtains to block out any sounds or light. The rooms were quite large and were kept clean.

We had a free breakfast every morning which was a life saver as we found eating out in Rome to be very expen$ive. There was deli meat, yogurt, toast, cereal, fruit, pastries, etc. The dining room was clean and the food was good.

BEST thing about the hotel was the location, just blocks from St. Peters and the Vatican. The hotel is by the Cola di Rienzo with quite a few stores that are generally open late, and a food market across the street where you can buy fruit, chocolate, a skinned lamb...whatever you like!

A few blocks down the street is the Piazza Risorgimento with a large market set up under tents. You can barter for souvenirs, gadgets, clothing, jewelery, etc. Also where a small bus transit center is - taking the #81 bus that departs from here goes across the river, down the Via del Corso and past the trevi fountain, pantheon, forum, colloseum, etc.... While it is possible to walk to all of these places, taking the bus saved us time. You can also take this bus back to the piazza risogimento. Its fun to take the bus and get off at random locations to explore on foot around the city as you stumble across many things. Also great - although you are required to buy a bus pass and then validate it on a little machine once you get on the bus - we found many people did not do this and you can then ride the bus for free. I woudl suggest buying a 1 ride pass just in case someone asks you to see your ticket, then you can just say you forgot to validate it.

Unique Quality: All in all it was a great place to stay. It was nothing fancy but had the basics and was clean. The only downside was that there was only a tub w/ a hand-held shower head. The hotel staff didn't give us any grief. The woman at the front desk seemed slightly arrogant but she was helpful. We were hardly in our hotel as there is much to see in Rome and slept very well at night. I would definitely stay there again.

Directions: Turn right off the Colo di Rienzo onto Properzio. Near the piazza risorgimentio and St. Peters.

• Janani's Profile Photo

A Room With Striking Décor

When my mum told me she’d booked us into this hotel, I looked up all the reviews I could find and found them very mixed, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect when I got there and when we did arrive, I could see that most of the things people said were true but of course, what appeals to one person doesn’t suit another. I really liked the hotel though and would certainly be happy to stay here again.

We knew that it was well located to visit the Vatican museums and St Peter’s Basilica, having once been a papal palace itself, but once we arrived there, we realised we could in fact visit many of Rome’s popular tourist attractions on foot, without any difficulty and in fact had no need to use the metro during our stay. We also found it easy to reach the hotel from Fiumicino airport; we took the train from the airport to Termini and then a number 64 bus to St Peter’s, from where the bus driver pointed us in the right direction for the hotel

Our room had very striking décor; the walls were papered with jade green, slightly padded velvet, which contrasted with the mostly terracotta and gold brocade curtains and soft furnishings! It was nice and cosy despite the cold January winds and the bathroom was a very good size with two washbasins and a choice of fixed or hose style shower over the bathtub. Some of the criticisms I had seen of the hotel were regarding dirty fabric furnishings and faulty items. We found our room very clean although there was a mark on the bathroom ceiling, as though someone upstairs had let the bath overflow. Also the door handle did fall off the outside of the room while we were there but as it was only a decorative one, it did not affect us using the door and was repaired efficiently the same morning. I think this can be expected when staying in an older building and wasn’t troubled by it.

Unique Quality: The breakfast included in the cost was served in the basement, which had some clever lighting panels that gave the impression of frosted glass windows; these prevented the small room from having a claustrophobic feel. There were crispy light rolls, pastries, cereals and plates of meat, cheese and hard boiled eggs to choose from. The coffee available on the table was rather poor but most people seemed to be ordering espresso or cappuccino from the kitchen, which was much better. The room got quite busy, as the end of the set time for breakfast drew near.

The staff at the reception were very efficient and helped us by giving us directions and recommending places to eat nearby.

Directions: It is situated on the corner of Via Properzio and Via Cola di Rienzo, very close to the Vatican and not far from the river, which you can cross using one of the many bridges to see the main places of interest to tourists.

• MissThing606's Profile Photo

Excellent location, very helpful staff

What can I say?

I booked via Expedia and requested a small fridge - and got it.

The staff speak good English and helped me out with Transport advice and called me a cab back to Termini.

My room was a bit small, but it was a single- (and I didn't go Rome to stay in my hotel room)!

The room had a double bed, air-condtioning. The bathroom had a tub and bidet with a small hairdryer by the basin.

The linen and towels were changed every-day and the room was so quiet, I slept through the night!

The room had a small TV. The onlu English channel was CNN, which I understand is standard for Roman hotels. It hink there was also a French channel

I was there from 19 September 2004 till 23 September 2004.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone!

Unique Quality: It's a great hotel, 5 minutes walk from the Vatican, 10 minutes walk from two Metro stations (Ottaviano - San Pietro and Lepanto)and just off a main road that has some great shops such as:

Furla
    Calvin Klein
    Coin (Roman Department store)
    There is also an indoor market bang opposite the Hotel Junction with fresh fruit, veg and sliced meats.

Via Ottaviano (5-to mins away) has lots of shops especially shoes, clothes and bags.

With a location like this, you could take public transport during your stay. It's also on the route 81 which is quite frequent, and the 492 and 23 which aren't so frequent!

Directions: Off Via Crecenzio, 5 mins walk from Piazza Cavour.

From the opposite direction, it's 5 mins from Piazza Risorgiomento, where with lots of bus stops.

More about Grand Olympic - Aurum Hotel

Nice, Clean, Great location

by TripAdvisor Member jes0926

We stayed 4 nights and had a room described as quadruple. I believe this gave us a larger room than most in the hotel. It contained a full size bed, a twin-type sofa bed, and a rollaway, or cot twin size. The room was large and comfy, however I would say very used. Furniture and lamps and bedding were old and worn. The bathroom was very large. It contained fresh linens daily but did not include washclothes. After reading about noise on the street, we were a bit worried, but it was not a problem. The shutters on the windows truly help to decrease the noise from the street. The location was great. Very close to Vatican and San Angelos. With tour company we were within first to be dropped off. Felt very safe walking and shopping day and night. Staff helpful. Breakfast came in very handy for early tours. I think you save a bunch by eating at the hotel. I could not drink the coffee, however. Plenty of nice cafe's close to eat. Venture off main street. Wonderful fruit and vegtable market right across street. Found drug store, liqore store, quick pizza, water, candy, just about anything we needed without going very far. I would stay again, but wish they would upgrade their furniture, lamps and bedding.

Good sized rooms for Rome!!!

We stayed in this hotel on our most recent trip to Rome, and were pleasantly suprised. Although Aurum is an international chain, this hotel itself is a former papal palace and it is lovely cool and spacious. A word of warning the hotel bar prices are astronomical, and be wary of having a ground floor room near the lobby as it can be noisey. House keeping are almost obsessive in their work! The hotel itself is in a good spot several very nice places to eat, the Toscana on Via Germanica is in nearly every Roman guide book I've bought. There is easy connection to buses and the underground, and you are just 2 blocks away from the Vatican museums and St Peter's. I would certainly book here again.

would not go back

by TripAdvisor Member T.B.Patriot

It was an okay hotel. Nothing great. If you're interested in being close to the Vatican, it may be worth it but otherwise I am not sure whether I'd go back. My 10 yr old daughter had several bug bites.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member md115

Nice, simple hotel with small but clean rooms. Very nice complimentary breakfast. Close to Metro, Vatican and St Peters. Only negatives: indifferent staff, street noise at night. Would use again given its proximty to sights, good eating.

Highly recommended

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights after Easter 2005 in one of their 'quad' room. The room and the bathroom were large and clean. Although taking a shower was a bit of a challenge, it was on the small side and the curtain tended to blow inside reducing the small space even further. Because of its location, the room could be a bit noisy, but once the double pane windows were closed it was no longer a problem.
Also, internet connection was not available from the room. We would have gladly paid extra for one, instead, we had to walk a couple of blocks to an internet cafe/phone outlet.
The staff were helpful and friendly (they even packed us a couple of 'lunch bags' when we had to leave early in the AM before breakfast). We found that language was not a problem, front desk staff all communicated well in English. Good service was what made this hotel enjoyable to stay.
The close proximity to the Vatican was a bonus for us (especially during the time we stayed in Rome). All other points of interest across the Tiber river were easily reachable by taxi (around 5-7 euros) and/or by Metro.
All in all, for the price, this was a very good 3 star hotel, better than some 3 star hotels we've stayed in the US.

Good Location, Mixed Service Levels

by TripAdvisor Member dcrose

A great location within a few blocks of the Vatican and a Metro stop and many good restaurants nearby. Rooms were reasonably quiet but warm without any air conditioning. A quad room consisted of a double and single with a rollaway single brought in so the room was very crowded. Nice large bathroom with tub/shower but other rooms had shower only and much smaller bathrooms. One morning, the shower water temperature kept changing between hot and cold. Room had a tiny TV that received CNN. Breakfast was fine and consisted of cereal, meat, cheese, pastries, yoghurt, etc.
I was disappointed with the level of service from the front desk. My experience was very mixed. We dealt with 4 people during our stay and found two to be ok/good but the other two to be quite poor. They were quite unfriendly and unhelpful. Also, the rooms seemed clean but one of us ended up with a number of bug bites on the leg and we are unsure where these came from.

Great value/quiet location

by TripAdvisor Member lprasz

We stayed here in June as a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. A quad room in Rome is very difficult to fine, but at $300 per night (US) it was cheaper than 2 rooms at another hotel. The room was big, with a double bed and 2 twins. The bathroom was large. The furniture was worn but clean, and there was a tv and A/C. No clock. Thanks goodness for my travel alarm (this was the case everywhere we went). The breakfast was excellent for a free continental, and was served early, making it convenient for those of us who wanted to beat the heat. Everyone said we should stay by the Spanish Steps, that staying near the Vatican would be "inconvenient". And , while it's true the the area around the Spanish steps is beautiful, it is also jam-packed with people and horribly expensive. We did not find the Grand Olympic to be out of the way. We had planned to spend a whole day seeing the Vatican anyway, and we were able to walk everywhere else without a problem. (we are athletic 40-somethings. Maybe this would not be the case for older travelers). The staff was helpful, and the neigborhood around the hotel had a great farmer's market, pastry shop, pharmacy etc, as well as some nice little restaurants that were considerably less expensive (for Rome) than the Spanish Steps counter-parts. I would absolutely stay here again!

need hotel or apartment

by iaint

going to Rome for romantic weekend beginning of December; any ideas for a hotel or apartment?
we're both pretty open minded - happy in an Ibis type place or in something more expensive so long as its good!

by DubaiRes

For location, CAESAR HOUSE RESIDENZE cant be beaten. Their rooms are very comfortable and staff friendly. Friends stayed at DAPHNE B&B, a little cheaper but location fairly good too.

by MissThing606

I've stayed at the Olmypic Aurum hotel, which is near the vatican. I have a review on my Rome page.

Plus Hotel Cicerone is a four star hotel, not far from there, of via cola di Rienzo and a few minutes' walk from the Spanish steps. I haven't stayed there myself there are some good reviews.

by craic

we will be in rome in november and just booked with wotif.com - much cheaper rates and at that time of the year quite a saving - we went for cheap and cheerful but they were some 3 and 4 star places with big savings - just make sure they aren't out at EUR or whatever - we nearly went for a hotel near the spanish steps - but in the end opted for convenience and got a booking in a place near termini

by Jami1

try www.roomsnet.com/rome_hotels
this site have very much better rates for rome hotels

Comments