Halifax

More about Rome

Angelo della LuceAngelo della Luce

Façade by Alessandro GalileiFaçade by Alessandro Galilei

InsideInside

Temple of Antonio and Faustina, May 2007Temple of Antonio and Faustina, May 2007

Via dei Condotti

by archstanton

I've been to Rome a few times on business and now I am planning a trip with my wife, who has never been to Italy. I can't remember which evening - Saturday or Sunday- where it seemed like the entire city was out strolling the streets around the Via dei Condotti and Via dei Corso and over to the Piazza dei Popolo and into the park above. Has anyone here every experienced this and can tell me which evening .

by mccalpin

I never noticed that in the area you describe, but I wasn't usually over there in the evenings. But you will see the same behavior at Piazza Navona, for example.

Because I haven't seen the "promenade" in the area you describe, I will have to guess and say that I imagine that this is on Saturday night, not Sunday night. That's what I remember from my various trips in Italy and Spain (where there is the same behavior, especially in smaller cities)...

Let's see if others agree ;-)

Bill

by domenicococozza

'Passagiatta' is the word.
It is common throughout Italian cities, and in Rome, Saturday night is the night for it. However, how you tell the locals out promenading from the masses of tourists, doing the same thing, is not going to be easy.
Best time for it is between 5pm and 8pm. It peters out when the shops close when all self respecting Romans retreat to their apartments to eat, or pack into those restaurants that tourists can never find.

by leics

Yes, 'passegiata'.

Saw it in Pisa every night, between around 7 and 8, but the majority of people come out on Saturdays. And have seen it everywhere els eI've visited, as long as it's been a reasonably-sized settlement.

Seems to be the normal custom in Italy (weather permitting)...is that right?

I love it; so much opportunity for people-watching (which is, of course, one of its purposes). :-)

by von.otter

Please, join other Romans on their passeggiata, evening walk about. Yes, it does take place on Via dei Condotti and Via dei Corso; but also elsewhere in the Eternal City. It is a wonderful practice, slowly meandering through the streets and piazzas, stopping to browse, but always walking at a leisurely pace.

Travel Tips for Rome

Go INSIDE the Pantheon

by surferob

My idea of Roman ruins was mostly of structures in varying states of decay. Certainly that rings true for lots of areas like the Forum and Colloseum. But the Pantheon is very different. The inside is breathtakingly beautiful. Many different colors and types of marble cover the walls and floors, along with wonderful statues and paintings. It's very similar to St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. Just glorious.

KING Caught on Carol's Candid Camera

by icunme

Yes, Italy's royal scandal starring the House of Savoy with KING VITTORIO EMANUELE III - he was deposed - exiled to Switzerland - begged to return - was granted his wish - returned - was arrested and imprisoned recently for criminal activity (gambling and prostitution) - confined to his quarters; but, here we caught him again - this time getting into his car at the Northern end of the street where we live just below Villa Borghese.
I made a swift get-away myself as he saw me take the third photo - started toward me - and is notorious for his mean temper (among other things)..................

*News flash - Feb 2008 - Ahhh - the saga continues as Italy's now-defunct royal family apologized for suing the Italian state for their 56 years of forced exile, the ANSA news agency reported.

"I'm sorry for the unpleasantness caused," Emanuele Filiberto (a good-looking guy - photo 4) told ANSA in an interview three months after his family, the Savoys, filed papers seeking 260 million euros (385 million dollars) in compensation plus interest. Filiberto's father Vittorio Emanuele, now 71, demanded 170 million euros in November and Filiberto, 35, asked for 90 million euros.

The Italian government rejected the demand out of hand, saying the state owed nothing to the former royal family.

"Italians were right to react the way they did," Filiberto said, adding:
"Italy does not need this extra problem. I don't want to create a problem for Italy."

The male heirs of the Savoy family were sent into exile a year after the end of World War II because king Vittorio Emmanuel III had collaborated with the fascist regime of Benito Mussolini on anti-Jewish laws.
After pleading to return to Italy, the family was permitted through a law reforming the constitution that was adopted in 2002.

Comfortable and Fashionable Shoes in Roma!

by jeaniek13 about Geppy Shoes

Geppy is located on Via Nazionale -- where there are lots of shops, including other shoe retailers. They sell shoes and handbags -- with modern, sleek and simple lines. I am looking forward to our upcoming trip and hoping to purchase some more shoes from them! Go to Geppy! I still wear the shoes that I purchased from Geppy. My mom purchased a couple of pairs of shoes (short boots and nice shoes) and a purse and still uses them -- and has received compliments. I have seen shoes like these at shoe stores like Taryn Rose - retailing for upwards to $400.00 -- but we purchased them for around $75-$100.00 (in December 2004).

From my blog (http://vino-rosso.blogspot.com/2004/12/wed-day-of-relentless-shopping.html) Depends how much you plan to purchase?!?!

I flew from London Heathrow...

by Kallie

I flew from London Heathrow and then took a train from the
airport into the city central railway station.
On foot, or use the metro. Taxis are quite expensive, but we did take one once, when the blisters became too much!

Typical roman pizza

by AlexDJ about Pizzeria da Francesco

This is a godd place where to try the typical thin roman pizza. The restaurant has also a decent pasta and a good selection of antipasto and vegetables. The best thing is its location, because it's in a wonderful zone of Rome near Piazza della Pace and Chiostro del Bramante. The atmosphere is really unformal and the staff is very friendly and fast to serve you. Pizza, of course, in every version. Try also as a starter the "focaccia with ham", a good way to way for the following courses!

Comments