Viale Tirreno, 74, Rome, 00141, Italy

PalatinePalatine

San Pietro - Abside/ApseSan Pietro - Abside/Apse

Castel Sant'Angelo

by kennyboi

Can you enter Castel Sant'Angelo to see the castle/architecture without paying admission to the museum?

by goodfish

Not that I know of. I believe tickets are running about 10 euro - less for adults and seniors.

by bekerovka

Hy,
ticket is 5€ which may increase when there are special events.
Reduced price ticket for EU citizen aged 18-25 and EU statal school teachers.
Free pass for EU citizens under 18 or over 65 years, EU students and teachers of the faculties of Art History, Architecture, Preservation of Cultural Heritage, Education Science, Academy of Fine Arts, Letters Addressed historic-artistic staff of the Department of Heritage and Cultural Activities, ICOM members, tour guides and interpreters in service, journalists with card order, accompanied by teachers and school groups by reservation.
Ciao, Marco

by goodfish

Sorry - I'm not awake yet this morning!
Yes, tickets are 5 euro - it's closer to 9 or 10 with the rental of an audio guide, I believe, but I can't find rental fees on the website.

by Kathrin_E

The castle/architecture IS the museum...

It is well worth seeing, by the way. I think many visitors miss it, as it was remarkably uncrowded compared to other sites. The fortifications are impressive, there are some remarkably decorated renaissance rooms inside, and the view from the top is splendid. Thanks to the thick walls it is pleasantly cool inside in midday heat.

by kennyboi

Can I please ask how much time I should allow for this attraction?

by tango_jd

I would say 2 - 2.5 hours at least.
We enjoyed it while we were there in 2004 - there is a super little cafe bar there and once you sit down with a drink and that view, it's hard to move!

by jmsgirl

I actually got into the Castel Sant'Angelo for free because it was a "free day". I guess the state runs that every once in a while. Does anyone know how to track when those "free days" are?

Anyway, it is absolutely worth the 10 Euros!!!

Travel Tips for Rome

Favorite Haunts

by ccmoira

Go to Trastevere and just walk around, both night and day, slowly. Don't forget to smile casually at people, or just look happy (you will be). Keep your ears open for the sound of older Americans - you might run into some friendly expatriots.
Stop by Pizza al Taglio for a slice with various kinds of toppings (my favorite is their four-cheese - very strong flavor).
Go down Via del Moro and stop by Gauguin Cafe (after 8:00). If it's Tuesday then there will probably be a football game on (Roma and Milan are usually most popular) and you can hear some colorful language - you won't know what they're saying but you can guess.
They have some of the friendliest people working there - it helps if you go regularly (i'm there all the time). A pint of Labat Ice is 3.60 a glass of wine (good size) is 2.70 and their food is pretty decent as well (try Pennette Arrabbiata - spicy). Hmmm... not sure about that - maybe the first time I saw the Forum? Or it could just be the night that I went to Gauguin Cafe and laughed as the staff danced to the music they had on (I was the only customer there).

They DO stare - but its OK - an old custom

by icunme

I noticed immediately that people stare - expressionless - yet long and hard - until they have taken in all that they want to see. Now, we could note, the subject of their gaze determines whether this has been feast or famine. This excerpt from Henry James' account of his day in Villa Borghese in 1873 fairly references this local custom:
"The great difference between public places in America and Europe is in the number of unoccupied people of every age and condition sitting about early and late on benches and gazing at you, from your hat to your boots, as you pass. Europe is certainly the continent of the practised stare. The ladies on the Pincio have to run the gauntlet; but they seem to do so complacently enough. The European woman is brought up to the sense of having a definite part in the way of manners or manner to play in public. To lie back in a barouche alone, balancing a parasol and seeming to ignore the extremely immediate gaze of two serried ranks of male creatures on each side of her path, save here and there to recognise one of them with an imperceptible nod, is one of her daily duties."

More Haste - more disappointment

by Fizzyblond about Shoe shops!

Just a general warning to you intrepid shoppers out there.... my silliest mistake was to rush and buy a pair of leather boots from a gorgeous assistant in a lovely shop (not the shops fault so no names here!). I tried on, pranced and danced around the store in glee and paid up, carried the goods home to England and was so fussy about my Italian leather boots I wore them straight away to show my two younger (and also shopaholic) sisters! Both of them wanted to try them on immediately - being of a similar size I consented! Then oh my gosh, sister number two said..." where did you say these boots are from?" and I proudly said "Italy"!! She then showed me the damming little sign that said "Made in China" What I would have given to have the ground swallow me up! Real Italian leather shoes are just fabulous!

So make sure you read the labels! I spend as much as I can afford - they are so stylish and last for ever!

we flew into rome on luftaunsa...

by vinp

we flew into rome on luftaunsa from philadelphia via frankfurt I do not recomend this way as it's too long but we where tryig to save money as there where 4 of us my wife and 2 kids.we where too late for our hotel shuttle as our flight was delayed in frankfurt a couple hours so we took a taxi to the hotel about 60.00 dollars
getting around rome was pretty easy after you get the hang of things using there buses and subway.tickets are bought at the tobacco shops or stations you get on the bus stamp your ticket in the machine.all stops have a route map at the stop so you can see where your going i was told several times to watch for pickpockets but we experianced no problems also twice we went to use the subway and it was closed once i believe it was too late (after12.00 0'clock) and the other reason i don't know)

Gelato

by Rhondaj about Old Bridge Gelateria

Mentioned in guidebooks and right around the corner from our apt., this place is hit or miss. You can walk by it one time and no one will be there. Then the next time there will be an unbelievably long line. Okay, not really a line, mob is more like it. The gelato was good, but there was a place nearby I actually liked better...

Thousands of miles from home, during one of our after dinner strolls, we made a gelato stop here one night and we met people here we know from home. Small world... Black Cherry

Comments