Via del Boschetto 13, Rome, Lazio, 00100, Italy
Expedia.com Booking.com Venere.com

More about Hotel Artorius

Impressed by Hotel Artorius

by TripAdvisor Member BentonHarper

Hotel Artorius is about 15 minute's walk from Rome's Termini Railway station and about ten minute's walk from both the Colosseum and the Trevi Fountain. It is in the old part of Rome, down a narrow little street full of restaurants and clothes boutiques and almost opposite a small supermarket. It is two minutes walk from the #64 bus route which runs from Termini to St Peter's Square. The hotel itself is great. It is in an old building, but recently renovated, with an ancient iron lace lift. The corridors and stairs are marble and the rooms are spotlessly clean, spacious and very peaceful, with double glazing, air conditioning and a good sized bathroom. We had free cable internet in our room, which was very useful as we had our own laptop. Breakfast is served in the conservatory in the back courtyard and great care is taken to ensure everyone is well fed. Best of all, the family who runs the hotel and staff are absolutely lovely and very attentive. They were very patient with our attempts at Italian, spoke excellent English and were able to advise us confidently on bus routes, transport, restaurants etc. The people at the hotel made it an absolute sanctuary from Rome.

A charming respite in busy Rome

by TripAdvisor Member Ntrepid

My husband, 6 year old daughter and I stayed four nights in this lovely, spotlessly clean hotel during the last week of April. It was the first stop during our European adventure and this cozy nest really made it a joy!

After booking WAY ahead on Venere.com, we were relieved that all our reservations were in place on arrival (I'd called a few days beforehand to confirm). Even though we arrived prior to check-in time, we were shown to directly to our room, which afforded us the opportunity to have a one-hour power nap before heading out on our Presto Tours (also highly recommended) adventure that evening. The rooms are all located in a corridor accessible only with a chip-key which opens the automatic door. Our luggage ascended by elevator upon arrival, but every time after that, we used only the elegant wide marble stairway, as the rooms are an effortless one flight up from ground level.

We were lucky to have a nice triple room with a spacious balcony furnished with an umbrella-shaded table, where we were able to recharge our batteries in the afternoons before heading out for supper. There is some sort of little noise (air conditioner?) outside that occasionally pops on, but it's not overly annoying and was absolutely undetectable inside the room. The decor is simple, but refined: No art on the walls, done up in navy blue, but roomy and with very high ceilings. There was no chest of drawers, but we had ample space for our suitcases as the room was big enough for a small party. The bathroom was covered in lovely travertine with a shower that had fine pressure and hot water and plenty of light. There was abundant surface area on the sink for toiletry articles.

The hotel is tucked away on a peaceful street. The numbering on the buildings was confusing to our cab driver and he passed the doorway, then became angry with us: In order to avoid this, look to the numbers on the LEFT side of the street when arriving-- Keep an eye out for the lamps on both sides of the entry, on a yellow building: Commit to memory the appearance of the front of the building from the hotel's website and you'll spot it straight away.

Hotel Artorius is across from a small supermarket where one can buy staples, like water and snacks, to stock the minibar in the room. There was no room safe, but the family that runs the hotel was able to stow our Nintendo in the vault at the desk (We almost left it there, but remembered to grab it as we were climbing in the taxi to the Termini station!)

Breakfast in the cheery lemon-colored courtyard was bountiful and tasty. Alessandro was so friendly and helpful with tourist info, restaurant recommendations, and general conversation. He made us delicious capuccino and hot chocolate each day. He also helped me figure out the name of a song I liked that was popular on the radio during our stay so that I could purchase the CD, and even directed me to a CD shop!

All the staff were sweet and courteous...I think the woman who tidies the rooms deserves an award for excellence! What a sparklingly clean place! I'm generally very picky about the cleanliness of hotels-- and this place was a dream. The gentleman who oversaw the desk in the evening didn't speak English (We were in Italy, after all!), but was eager to help us by seeking translation from another staff member on the phone when it was necessary, even late into the night. The parrot, Artor, who lives in a cage by the entrance (and sometimes in the courtyard) also speaks no English...Or Italian!...but is very pretty and a wonderful curiosity. My daughter, who missed her cat back in the States, loved to see a pet in our temporary home. In the sweet Italian evening, one could take advantage of the outdoor courtyard for sitting in conversation over a Campari, or whatever...It's like a little oasis in the middle of the bustling urban setting.

Many restaurants nearby offered fine fare (though we didn't care for Jubilate, where the waiter substituted my daughter's favorite meat--lamb -with veal, without asking us, because--he told us--"children don't like lamb"--plus the food wasn't very good, yet was pricey). We had to hike a bit for gelato, but that's probably because we randomly picked a direction in which to saunter off instead of inquiring after our destination at the hotel. We ate dinner one night in Est!Est!Est! where they have antique beer casks and tons of locals eating pizza: Very affordable, too. If you like shopping, you'll find plenty of temptations in shops nearby, as well. A few doors from the hotel is a boutique of fantastic children's clothing ($$$). There's a fellow who makes art glass panels right downstairs from the hotel and you may find him in his shop sometimes...He's the artist who wrought the gorgeous stained glass works that adorn the lobby of the hotel.

The hotel placed us within walking distance of all major sights--even for my daughter's little legs--in a relaxing and (relatively, for a city) quiet setting. In a nice spot for evening strolls, Artorius is also only about 5 minutes from the Colosseum and Forum. The Vittorio Emanuelle II wedding cake monument is a few easy blocks on foot. A bus (hang on to your wallet!) stops on Via Nazionale two blocks from the hotel and goes just about anywhere, if one doesn't want to walk, toward the Vatican, Spanish Steps, Trevi fountain, Campo dei Fiori, and such.

We would definitely return to Hotel Artorius on a future trip. Stay here for a great and pleasurable homey base in Roma!

All the glowing reviews are accurate

by TripAdvisor Member LynK

I second everything that "Ntrepid" wrote about her stay at the Hotel Artorius. We loved it, too and I won't repeat everything she said, but I will just add a few more details.

My family of 5 stayed here for 3 nights. Originally I had thought there would be 4 of us and booked a triple room, which they said could fit an extra bed. Then we needed to add another room, so booked a double also. The rooms we got were #109 and #110, right next to each other. The double (110) was a lovely room, but on the small side and my husband and I did feel a little cramped without quite enough room to spread out our suitcases. Compared to other hotel rooms in Rome, this one was actually probably average sized. However, our three daughters stayed in the HUGE triple next door and it was, indeed, big enough to host a party. It could have easily fit a rollaway bed, so this would be an option if you have a family of 4, especially parents with 2 children.

A plus for both rooms was that they had large outdoor spaces off the rooms accessible through french doors with chairs and table. These were separated by a short wall, which was easy to climb over for the more agile among us so you could get to the other room without going into the hallway. (there is no screen between the porches so you would see your neighbors if they were out at the same time) The porch made the double room seem not so small, though there was an air conditioning unit on the porch of room 110 that was obvious, but didn't really bother us..the rooms are well soundproofed with the french doors closed. If you need 2 rooms as we did you might check on whether 108 is available as it is on the other side of the triple and has a porch without the AC unit. Anyway, we put all the chairs and table on the porch of 109 and relaxed there with wine and cheese every afternoon.

Both rooms had free internet...I don't know if there was wireless as I just didn't check it out, but used our laptop with an ethernet cable we brought with us. I don't think there is a computer for guest use.

We bought bus passes from the front desk. Via Nazionale which is a main road with bus routes is about a block away so it is easy to catch a bus to anywhere. The hotel also has excellent maps of Rome for free..better than the map I bought at home. We found the family and staff to be very helpful with everything, including making restaurant reservations. I had the name of a restaurant in the area that they were unfamiliar with but they did some research on their computer. We had to leave the hotel at 4:30 am to get an early flight out and they gave us a wake-up call on time as requested. Very helpful in getting our luggage down and into the hired car.

A tip on arrival: We drove into Rome, dropped off 3 passengers & luggage at the hotel (and then returned the rental car to the return site at Villa Borghese, walking back to the hotel took about a half hour and was a pleasant walk). The instructions on the hotel website say that coming from Termini you should turn left off of Via Nazionale onto Via del Boschetto. Problem with this is that shortly after the turn you find that Via del Boschetto is a one way street so really you have to go one street further and turn left and then circle around. There is no obvious sign hanging out in front of the hotel, just a plaque on the wall beside the door, so it is easy to miss. The numbering on the street is not done like you would assume so we missed it one time and had to drive around again. 'Twas a little frustrating as we were in a time crunch trying to get to the hotel and out of the ZTL zone (restricted driving zone) before the restriction time came into effect. So as you drive up Via del Boschetto in the one way direction the hotel is on your left.

The market across the street is very handy and well stocked. There is a fine gelato place one street over with a million flavors. (I tried limoncello flavor there) There are also some Indian restaurants in the area in case you've had your fill of pasta. We didn't try these, but did enjoy the smell of curry as we passed by.

Just down the street from the Artorius is a very small, intimate restaurant called Il Posto Accanto (means "the place next door") at Via del Boschetto, 36. It is easy to miss but this is where we had our last dinner in Italy and could not have been more pleased. Vegetarians amongst us were able to find their meals, even though the owners didn't seem to understand us at the beginning when we asked if they had meals with no meat. We almost didn't stop but a Danish couple had just come in and told me that they loved the restaurant so much this was their second time eating there during their stay so we decided to try it. It is not inexpensive, but not outrageous either. Definitely recommended.

Back to Hotel Artorius...loved the breakfast, too. Nice touches like the chocolate flower on the hot chocolate foam (see the photo) which delighted our daughter. Plenty to eat to get you off to a good start. Elegant outdoor space with a real grape arbor overhead. We didn't realize until the last day that there is a tiny bar at the hotel where you can buy wine, mixed drinks, etc.

All in all we had a very happy stay here, for a reasonable price. We have some friends who are generally a bit more particular than we are and I kept saying "even Kenny would like this place!" If you are looking for a hotel in this price range and you can get a room here I think you will be glad you did, especially if you can get one of the larger rooms with the porch (triple was Euro 150 for us in July 2008, double was Euro 130; both had been reserved quite far in advance)

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member S_Der

Upon arriving in Rome by train, on May 12th, 2008, we were a little unimpressed as the area around the Termini is not so good. We then were driven by taxi to the hotel, which cost a cool 33 euro (very expensive for an 8 minute ride). Anyhow, I was a little jaded at this point but upon arriving at the hotel, my attitude changed. The hotel is situated on a quiet street and our intial check-in was wonderful. The staff was so helpful and kind. We would like to express our gratitude to Maricio (I hope I spelled his name correctly) and his family. They are all very friendly and take their jobs seriously. The hotel is very nice as well. It felt very safe and clean. The rooms are of decent size knowing how hotels are in any big city. As we stayed for three nights, our appreciation of the staff and the quiet location continued to grow and we were reluctant to leave.

just don't get bumped

by TripAdvisor Member dubaiuk

We booked our trip around getting into this hotel because of it's great reviews.
I booked through the hotels website and had things all confirmed... that is until we arrived to find that they had us down for one night after a few frantic phone calls we were told we had to go to another hotel...
The hotel we where taken to just down the street was not not good at all. We where put in the emergency rooms at th back. The breakfast was a cheap and nasty affair, one I wish never to have again.
The Artorius picked up our suitcases and where ready for us when we arrived later in the day..

The hotel was great and I would stay there again. The only thing that did annoyed was we were expected to pay exactlly the same money for the ruff hotel as we were for Artorius and because of tring to get some reduction for the problems I'm not talking much just a good will amount I did not get to have any breakfast.

I look forward to a better trip with them next time and just a tip it's near the Colosseum but it's not near the trevi fountain.

PERFECT HOTEL

by TripAdvisor Member Hokie98

If you are looking for a hotel in Rome, then your search is over. Artorius was perfect in every way. Okay, the rooms were a touch on the small side, but they were clean, up-to-date and well appointed. My wife and I are still trying to figure out why it is only a 2 and 1/2 star place.

The hotel is situated in very close proximity to the Roman Forum and Colosseum. If you walk one street over, the Colosseum is right there at the end of the street (10 min walk). Also, the hotel seems to located in a residential area of Rome which we found to be fantastic. Across the street was a "convenience" store where we picked up two 1.5 liter bottles of water for 0.36 Euro. Yes, that's no typo, 0.36 Euro. There were many small restaurants, wine bars and other shops in close walking distance. All full of locals that enjoy food and wine as much as we do. For the best gnochi ever, try the Due Column on the parallel street. If you sit on the street, then you will have a view of the Colosseum. It's also cheap!!! We found out about this restaurant because of the hotel staff. They are friendly and ready to help you in any way possible. They provided us tips on getting around the city, restaurants and served us capuccino in the morning with designs made of cocoa powder. Their service was impeccable.

My wife and I have both traveled extensively, and we both believe that Artorius was one of the best places we have stayed (this includes US hotels with much higher ratings).

If we ever pass through Rome again, then we will definitely stay at Artorius!

lovely peaceful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member PaulCharles

I think this will be the first place I try when I return to rome. it is in a quiet sidestreet, but well positioned for transport links and in easy walking distance of sights of ancient rome. the staff are helpful and friendly (without being too in-your-face). the room and bathroom (well, shower room, no bath) was very clean and comfortable. the breakfast room (open-air, but covered) was charming and well-supplied. we were lucky to get one of only three or four rooms with a balcony. downsides - the balcony had a noisy airconditioning unit (though it couldnt be heard in the room with the door shut), the shower temperture was a bit up-down, and there was no chest of drawers or safe in the room. but the downsides were very minor - it just felt so relaxing!

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Hosalito

Greetings, TripAdvisor members. We just returned from our honeymoon, where we spent 4 nights in Rome at the Hotel Atorius. I try to book hotels that are not part of a chain so I can get the real city experience, and I can assure you that the Artorius is just "boutique-y" enough to satisfy the pickiest traveler on your list.

The location was great. We didn't even use the metro or the buses while we were there! The major ruins are within walking distance, and even the Vatican is reachable on foot if you are up for the challenge!

The room was so nice - we were in #208. It was very decently sized and there was plenty of space for our stuff. Everything functioned in the bathroom and it was SPIC AND SPAN throughout our entire stay. The patio was awesome to have, and I would highly suggest asking when you book if you could secure a room with one. They had privacy screening around them, but you could see the other 2 patios that the Atorius offers (there are 3 rooms with patios I believe). There was a minibar that had a nice selection of snacks - but moreover provided room for those cold brews you bought at the supermarket across the street!

Yes, it's true: There is a fully-stocked supermarket right across the street from the Artorius. Check out their wine selection, bring a nice bottle back to your room, sit on your patio, and enjoy the Roman atmosphere in semi-privacy! We needed glasses for wine a couple of evenings and upon returning to the room, my husband produced some really nice stemware that the front desk had given him. How fancy!!

As for breakfast (included in the rate), there were several items to choose from: Cakes, breads, including healthier seeded breads, cereals, fruit, cheeses and meats. Oh, yogurts too. Juices and milk were available, and so was regular coffee, but if you prefer, they will make you an amazing cappucino. You can sit inside the covered area or out on the adjacent patio. They have the neatest bird in a cage out there - it had so many colors and was very entertaining.

The front desk crew is outright polite and helpful, which is a welcome respite at the end of a long day in hectic Rome. They were the ones who took our luggage up to our room and back down in the ancient elevator. There is a sign that asks patrons of the hotel to let them operate it as it's "one of the oldest in Rome"!

There are a LOT of great restaurant options around the hotel. Just walk a block in either direction and take your pick. Also, try Mulligan's Pub up the street for a quick beer (or two). It's a quaint Irish bar with a lot of charm.

If you are heading to Rome and looking for a hotel (obviously, as you are here reading my review...), rest assured that you cannot go wrong with the Artorius.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member charlotteb4ps

My husband and I have just returned from spending 3 lovely nights at the Artorius Hotel in Rome where we celebrated our first wedding anniversary. One of the reasons we chose the hotel was because of the good reviews and we weren't disappointed. We received a warm welcome. All the staff were attentive and friendly. Our room was spacious and clean. Breakfast is situated in a beautiful courtyard and the food on offer was excellent. Do not hesitate, book now!!! Charlotte & Rod, UK

Beautiful place with wonderful service

by TripAdvisor Member maridat6

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for 3 nights and let me just say that throughout our 2 month trip the service here was brilliant. The whole family were friendly, polite and very helpful.
I want to thank you all for making our stay a pleasant one.

Our room was spotless and very quiet. The breakfast was lovely with lots of variety to choose from.

We walked to all the sites which saved us time and money on taxis.

Again thank you

The pyramid of Cestius.The pyramid of Cestius.

Fontana dei Tritoni, Roma, May 2007Fontana dei Tritoni, Roma, May 2007

Vatican Museums, Wood & Gilt Ceiling, May 2007Vatican Museums, Wood & Gilt Ceiling, May 2007

Athlete with Odd Object, 30.May.2007Athlete with Odd Object, 30.May.2007

Train Travel/Late Night Cafes in RomFlorVen

by burlms

Is there enough space to take your luggage to your seat in 1st class on trains between Rome-Florence, Florence-Venice and Venice-Rome(one rolling bag and one carry-on per person). We are not going to bother with a EuroRail pass. Just city to city rail ticket purchases with the Venice back to Rome on Eurostar. Does the Eurostar serve lunch in a dining car or bring food to your seat? How's the food? Should we buy a panini and bottled drinks before boarding? Also, would love to know about either 24 hour or very late night cafes to hang out in duing jet lag transition. We will be located at the Pantheon in Rome, between the Duomo and Uffizi in Firenze and near the Academia in Venice. Thnx

by qaminari

Normally on TGV trains such as EuroStar ITALIA (not to be confused with the real Eurostar, which runs between the UK, France and Belgium) there are luggage racks at the ends of the carriages: you can't assume you will be able to place your large bags next to your seat unless you have one of those that has space behind it, and even this depends on the size of your bags. I assume the "carry-ons" (but you will have to "carry on" all your luggage, including the rolling bags!) will be small enough to fit in the overhead rack.
In first class (Preferente) on EuroStar Italia you get a hot or cold drink and sweet or savoury snack, plus newspaper, at your seat; if you want more you would have to use the dining car, see http://www.accessworldwide.com/eurail/premier_hi_speed.htm and http://www.trenitalia.com/it/9e603e443b536010VgnVCM10000045a2e90aRCRD.shtml.

by qaminari

Clicked too soon, I meant to refer you also to this information on Eurostar City trains, which illustrate the baggage arrangements on the newest trains. Apparently these have a sort of glass cage for baggage in the middle of the carriage so that you can keep it in view:

by Roadquill

We did the Intercity trains between Naples and Florence, and then from Florence to Rome. Most of our luggage was right above us on racks. Standard suit case size. Not much room for anything bigger. Ciao, Karl

Comments