Hotel Bright

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 42% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Rome

Sea horses at Villa BorgheseSea horses at Villa Borghese

Fontana delle Tartarughe + von.otter, Roma, 05/07Fontana delle Tartarughe + von.otter, Roma, 05/07

spanish stepsspanish steps

Just a pillar....Just a pillar....

Taxi from FCO to Crowne Plaza Hotel

by millymo

Can I rely on picking up a normal taxi from FCO airport to the Crowne Plaza Hotel without too much haggling and problems? If so would this prove cheaper than the €60 quoted by the hotel to arrange a taxifor us? Thanks

Re: Taxi from FCO to Crowne Plaza Hotel

by mccalpin

1. Is this the Crowne Plaza at 415 Via Aurelia Antica?

2. You should have no problems with haggling or anything of the like. You can go out to the taxi queue, find an official licensed taxi (they are pretty obvious, as they have the lighted sign on top and the medallion of the City of Rome on the side - there will be a bunch of them), hop in, and give the guy the address (already written or printed is ever so much easier, unless you speak Italian). I am absolutely positive they know where this address is - I do and I'm not even a taxi driver.

3. This hotel is outside the Aurelian Walls, so it is not considered in the "city center"...so the fixed fare policy does not apply. But that really won't matter to you, since the hotel is west of the City center, and Fiumicino is southwest of the City center, so the trip is a lot of closer than it would be if you were going other places in Rome.

4. The hotel's website estimates that the fare on the meter will be about 40 euro, and from my recollection, that's probably about right. No way it will be 60 euro. See http://www.crowneplazaromehotel.com/reach-us-hotel-rome-stpeter.htm for the hotel's description. NOTE: ignore the hotel's advice about taking the Leonardo Express and then a taxi. The train runs to Termini which is all the way across town. As you can see, this will cost you almost as much as a direct taxi would, but take you at least twice as long...take my word for it, I used to live not far away from this hotel.

5. The taxi driver will almost certainly take this route:
a. Go out the front of the airport and head east on the A91
b. Head north on the A90 (the Gran Raccordo Annulare)
c. Head east on the Via Aurelia
d. Make a slight right turn on the Via Aurelia Antica - you're there (OK, it will be 30+ minutes)

6. P.S. you will see nothing of Rome itself; you are passing from outside of town to the outskirts of the suburbs west of the Vatican. It's more trees and fields than buildings, and there aren't any tourist sights at all on the way. Oh, well... ;-)

Bill

Re: Taxi from FCO to Crowne Plaza Hotel

by mccalpin

Oh, I forgot to mention...the is a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel that runs ONCE a day...see http://www.crowneplazaromehotel.com/ownimage/1272035336_ROME%20docNAVETTA%20APRILE2010.pdf

I don't know when you're arriving, but if you can get to that bus stop by 8:00 a.m. (which you probably can if you arrive about 06:30 or so), you can save yourself a few euro...p.s., I'd send an email to the hotel concierge confirming that this shuttle is still running...

Bill

Travel Tips for Rome

distances

by monorailgold

One of my favorite things about Rome is how close the historic sites are to one another. This city was designed to be walked in. This was the main mode of transportation for centuries. The city is not laid out on a grid or any other plan that makes any sense to me, so take a good map with you when exploring. I have done a little research and have come up with these figures to help you while planning your trip. (I used viamichelin.com for these figures) From the colosseum to the termini station is 1 mile (1.7km). Colosseum to spanish steps- 1.25 miles (2km). Colosseum to Mouth of Truth (via circus maximus) - 1 mile (1.7km). Colosseum to Baths of Caracalla- .85 miles (1.4km). Colosseum to Trevi fountain- 1.2 miles (1.9 km). Colosseum to capitolini - .8 miles (1.3 km). Colosseum to Pantheon- 1.1 miles (1.9km). From Spanish steps to Trevi fountain- .4 mile (.6km). Spanish steps to Piazza Navona- .75 miles (1.2 km). Spanish steps to St. Peters- 1.25 miles (2 km). Piazza Navona to Pantheon- .4 miles (.6 km). Piazza Navona to St. Peters- .9 miles (1.5 km). Pantheon to Trevi- .25 miles (.4 km). These are for direct routes between each of the sites.

As you can see, the distances between these major sites is very small. The city is so beautiful to walk in and there are so many other things to see along the way that you wont even notice that you've walked half a mile. If you plan your routes out ahead of time, you can limit the amount of walking you do. One of the amazing things about Rome is the amount of history it contains. You can literally walk down the street and see buildings that are hundreds of years old incorporated on the sides of new buildings. There are sections of the old viaduct system still standing in some of the neighborhoods. Everytime I go to Rome I find "new" things to see. I notice more "hidden" history that is right in front of everyone. I take my time now to enjoy the wonderful sights that have been preserved for us. I just walk. I usually don't worry about the distance.

Calcio (football or soccer, if you will)

by DrewV

Football is king. I cannot tell you how excited I was to attend a Lazio match. First of all, Lazio has long been my favourite Italian team. When my parents went to Rome many years ago, they brought me back a Lazio jersey. So I got to go to the match, wearing my old-school jersey and brand-new scarf, singing and taunting the Fiorentina fans. A fantastic experience! Here I am, looking stupidly happy (Compare to me looking forlorn at the Trevi.)...

Fountain of the Seahorses - Bernini Villa Borghese

by icunme

A lone duck is poised to join Bernini's seahorses - we like to think he's very discriminating and chosen well - whether by fortune or folly, he could do no better.
Winged seahorses appear to have risen from the shelter of the lower basin - as though coming through the water from the earth below. From a distance their heads appear to support the basin but a closer look discloses that they bear no weight. Their tails wind about the fountain base. Poised ready for flight - the enchanter's chisel has checked the horses in mid-ascent - Bernini's genius masters his fancy.
Sprays of water spout upward between their forefeet while the lower basin lies in the turf and the water fills it to the brim. The slightest breeze ruffles the surface, reflecting the sunshine like a broken mirror. Then from the centre of this pool, Bernini creates the rising fountain. Carved in travertine, the natural mellow tone seems to have been enriched rather than worn by the centuries of mild Italian weather.

Train Travel

by nyonnetti

Trying to figure out the train system and purchasing train tickets was so daunting to me as I was planning my trip to Italy. It turns out that there are tons of trains and the process was quite easy so waiting until you get in to the country is the best advice.
The process is quite easy: We used the automated machines and just followed the prompts. You choose your arrival city, departure date and 2 hour time frame that you would like to depart within. Then the train schedule comes up and you can then choose what specific time and train you want to use. We traveled on the Eurostar, IC Plus, and Regional train- Eurostar being the nicest and most expensive, Regional being very cheap but kind of scary. We chose second class seats and these were comfortable and convenient. Once you choose your train and departure time, you then get to chose whether you want an aisle or window seat. Before you complete your purchase, it will ask you if you have a "fidelity card?" I don't know why it does this, but you just hit "no" and finish your purchase-the machine will take all types of credit cards and it will give you a receipt.
You can in this process buy for multiple people and in the case with us, we got one ticket for "2 Adults."
The ticket itself is in Italian so it can be tricky to figure out what it all means. The ticket will of course have your date of departure with the departure time on the left and then arrival date and time on the right. (Remember that if you are from the US the date will be switched with the day being first than the month).
Below the departure city and arrival city you will see for example, "Carrozza 006" which is the train or car # that you will be getting and "Posti 84, 87" are the Seat #'s that are reserved.
Remember to validate your tickets in the yellow ticket machines before you board the train. The yellow machines are located at almost every track and is easy to do.

Eat At Joe's

by rattay about King dei Molisani

This restaurant was across the street from my boyfriend's apartment. His roommate went there once and the service was bad, so he complained and the owner, who we called Joe, apologized and said he would give him a free dinner next time. So when he went back, we all went with him and soon became Joe's #1 fans. I liked the pasta with truffle sauce (tartuffo) but my boyfriend preferred the spaghetti with clams (alle vongole). The insalata caprese is also quite good.

Comments