Hotel Celio

Satisfaction Average

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Celio

Excellent Hotel Celio

Just returned from a long weekend in Rome, staying in the Hotel Celio. The hotel was excellent. Good quality rooms and service. The location couldn't be much better.
Overall excellent and we will stay there again.

Unique little Hotel Celio

The location is excellent - very near the Colisseum and the Forum and easily accessible by foot to most of the major historical sights in Rome.

The hotel is very nice. Stylish and unique. It's smaller than I thought it would be and has an intimate atmosphere. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The room we had was good. It was smaller than we expected but very comfortable and clean. Again, the room was stylish in keeping with the rest of the hotel - very nice mosaic floors and silk wallpaper. Well stocked mini-bar, nice TV, very nice bathroom.

In summary, we liked the Hotel Celio and would recommend it to our friends.

A Jewel in a great location

by TripAdvisor Member amydog

We have just returned from a wonderful week at the Hotel Celio. Excellent location, extremely clean. The comfortable bed and quiet location more than made up for the very small bathroom. This hotel is a hidden jewel all individual rooms with fabulous mosiac floors and rich decor. Roberto and his staff were friendly and helpful.
Great restaurants close by and a well stocked supermarket for your essentials. even the small shop (20 metres) makes the most delicious sandwich rolls. freshly made to order.
A tip for visiting the Vatican museums (including the sistine chapel) We were early on two mornings (9am) and the queues were horendous! So we went later in the day 2pm and it was much better but the musuem cloes at 3pm... you do really need a few hours to see all the wonderful things, so....... if you do not mind queing for a couple of hours (at Least ).
Many thanks to Roberto and his staff, we highly recommend Hotel Celio with every confidence that you will enjoy your stay.

Sweet with a lot of personality!

The Hotel Celio

The hotel is beautifully designed in traditional italian finery. Fabric on all the walls, frescos, hallways of mosaics, and gilt everywhere. We stayed in two rooms. Our first stay was in a small room on the first floor. The second stay was in a room with a larger bathroom on the second floor. Both where excellent. We enjoyed ourselves. If you are use to American bathrooms then you might find the bathroom in the hotel a bit surprising. They are smaller then an average american bathroom but on par with european town homes. Some of the showers require a bit of manuovering to navigate the entire cleaning process.

The staff was kind and courteous to us and always helpful.

We where a gay couple traveling and where worried about some of the problems we have heard about with some European hotels not being used to gay tourists. We had not a single problem. In fact the hotel located near the coloseum was around the corner from the only all gay bar in Rome and a short walk from many others. We were unaware of this and so it was a fun bonus.

I would recommend it highly but if you are a bathroom person try to get one of the larger upstairs rooms.

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member atlantakat1

My wife and I have stayed at Hotel Celio three times now.

The location is perfect, a relatively quiet side street two blocks from the Coliseum.

Celio is a small hotel, with a friendly staff headed by Roberto. The staff speak good English and have good restaurant suggestions. (There is a wonderful new trattoria down the block).

Each room is named after a famous Italian and has a different theme based on the frescos and paintings in the room.

The less expensive rooms are small by American standards, but well appointed with a full jacuzzi tub and shower in the bathroom.

Last time we were in Rome, Roberto let us stay in the Pompeii suite for the last night of our stay. The suite is a full multi-room apartment with a private garden on the roof of the building.

A light breakfast is served in the interior courtyard (with a tent and heater if its rainy). A request for "cafe" brings a full sized cup of rich coffee, not the usual tiny serving of espresso.

There is a small work-out facility on the roof. The hotel has a nice selection of movies on VHS in English and Italian and there are VCRs in the rooms.

Roberto has gone Hi-Tech and provides wireless Internet access to his guests for free. We were able to get the wireless signal in our room on the second floor, although Roberto worries that not all the rooms above that level can get the signal.

The other Roberto who works at the hotel apparently also works at a local golf course, something I will have to keep in mind in the unlikely event that I ever get bored looking at the sights.

The atmosphere of the hotel is laid back and informal. Do not expect a doorman in a fancy suit. Rather, the place feels like staying with Italian friends at a nice home in Central Rome. All in all, Celio is a perfect hotel for our visits to Rome.

comfortable, beautiful & great location

by TripAdvisor Member dennyloo

We have been to rome so many times and after my nonna sold her apartment and my sister moved into a tiny one bedroom with her husband, we had to start looking for places to stay. We are myself, husband and two young chidlren. We stumbled onto this one as the last one we liked didn't have accomodation. I have to say I LOVED this location. A quiet little neigborhood in the shadow of the colloseum. There are great restaurants and you are close to the Forum, Piazza Venezia and a metro station. My husband walked to Piazza Navona with my 7 year old son no problem. The rooms are heaven if you need a good sleep. But not so big that you can entertain. The beds are of the best quality! The bathroom is incredibly small and has a folding door but they do the best with the space they have. I have to say that the best thing was the video recorder! They even have a collection of movies and this helped when our children woke up at 7am and mom and dad wanted a bit more sleep!!!
All in all a great stay and we would chose this hotel again!

Not what it's cracked up to be...

by TripAdvisor Member buffalogrover

My fiance and I stayed at Celio after visiting Florence and Venice, where we were fortunate to stay in the most lovely of hotels. Our experience at Celio was not nearly as lovely. In fact, it was disappointing. I attribute this largely to the staff, who were more interested in watching TV than talking to us! It felt as though we were bothering them with our questions. And, when we wanted their assistance to call a car service for the airport, they insisted that the cheapest price for 2 people was 50 Euro. Our Lonely Planet said differently and when we asked them about this they became indignant. At my fiance's insistance, we called the service suggested by Lonely Planet on our own and, voila, we procured car service at the cost of 35 Euro for 2 people. The car was there early the next morning and took us to the airport in a jiffy! The room itself was nice. It was unsettling, however, that during our stay the staff went into the room without telling us, removed a piece of furniture and rearranged our things. I would not stay here again.

Not able to book a room

by TripAdvisor Member alfaalfa

I can't say anything about the hotel, because I was not able to book the room. Under my client suggestion, I sent several request, and as I had no reply to my email, I phone them. Never spoken with people so rude: nowhere in the world. I will probably never try again to book a room there!

What a gem!

by TripAdvisor Member NP888

After a disappointing one night stay at the near-by overrated Forum Hotel, my husband and I decided to look for something better. We were simply thrilled to have discovered Celio Hotel, which offers everything we were looking for: a quiet and convenient location, tastefully decorated room with a luxurious bath/jacuzzi and all other amenities. Of the 2 available rooms we were shown, we immediately fell in love with the elegant and well appointed Ambassador's suite. its beautiful mosaic floor tile, floor to ceiling lush brocade curtains, internet access, spotless and good sized luxurious bathroom. A bit pricy, but well worth every penny. We stayed there from April 23 to the 30th, then after a brief tour in Florence, we returned for one last night on May 3rd.

The location is ideal: just steps away from the Coliseum and within walking distance of many other famous sites: the Forum, Imperiali Fori, Plaza Venezia, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, Plaza Navona, the Vatican, to name just a few. Or if you get too tired of walking, for 1 euro per ride, you can hop into a bus that takes you whereever you want. Most of the time I personally preferred walking, as I found it to be the best way to appreciate the splendid sights and sounds of this Eternal City.

As for the service provided at Celio Hotel, we can only commend Roberto the General Manager and his attentive staff for everything they did for us. They were always available to answer any questions we had. They made feel very much at home. Complimentary breakfast was efficiently served in a unique tented courtyard room (heated in the still cool spring mornings). A wellness room was also available for use in the afternoon, but we did not try it, thus cannot comment on it.

From our extensive travels abroad and experience at a number of hotels of varying quality, we can confidently rank Celio Hotel among the best ones. Certainly compared with the other two well-known hotels we stayed in on this trip to Italy, namely the Forum Hotel in Rome and the Palazzo Ognissanti Hotel in Florence, Celio deserves at least 4 stars, in terms of convenient location, great service, elegant and exquisite decor, full amenities. (The only thing we found missing would have been a much appreciated tea/coffe set readily available at most hotels outside of Italy.)
Still, all things considered, this is definitely a true gem of a hotel to be highly recommended for anyone or any couple in search of something special for a memorable stay. As for us, the Ambassador's suite will be long remembered as one of the most beautiful and romantic rooms we ever stayed in.

Comments