Via del Viminale 15, Rome, Lazio, 00184, Italy

Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

Clean, convenient

The best thing I like about this hotel is the location - it's a brief 3-minute walk to Roma Termini where you have access not just to the long-distance trains but also to the metro and buses.

The hotel is clean and well-ran, too, albeit the room is smallish (and a bit too feminine with baby pink as the main color motif), which is not unexpected in a major European city like Rome. They serve adequate breakfast buffet at the roofdeck.

• 11mirjam's Profile Photo

breakfast on a roofterrace!

A good hotel with good service. The room is very clean. Not noisy when you ask for a room at the backside.
    The beds are good and you can even ask for another pillow.
    Breakfast is not very special but the location is. The hotel has a roofterrace were breakfast is served. It's very nice to breakfast outside in the morning sun.
    The only disadvantage of this hotel are the trellies for the windows. When there's fire at the corridor you cann't leave your room.
    The hotel is situated near the railwaystation. That area is known as not so safe, but this part is OK and even at night you feel safe here.
    The sightseeings are all at walkdistance.

• Lacristina's Profile Photo

Wait til you see the Venetian glass chandeliers!

Recently renovated, the rooms at the Columbia are larger than average (for Italy), good air conditioning which you can control, nice modern bathrooms with larger than usual shower and toiletry items including a toothbrush!, and each room I've stayed in (save one) has had a drop-dead-gorgeous, HUGE Venetian glass chandelier! There's a nice cafe/bar/breakfast room on the top floor. Breakfast in warm months will be on the open terrace filled with plants. Coffee and cappuccino are fresh made and very good. Buffet breakfast is fine, no hot items. They usually have cornetti (croissants), panini (fresh bread rolls), salami, cheese, jams, toast, canned fruit, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cereals, juice (canned). There is almost no lobby, but there is a small sitting area in the breakfast room. Multilingual desk, and even the maids are friendly!

Their website lists a room rate that is quite high - usually you'll find a better rate on www.venere.com or www.holidaycity.com. Sometimes holidaycity shows availability when venere doesn't. Go figure.

Anyway, 160E in high season is a pretty reasonable rate. I've stayed here several times with friends - and we've always had a good experience. I once got a room I didn't like, and they moved me the next day.

Unique Quality: No views, but laying in your bed, looking up at the beautiful chandelier isn't bad! Very convenient to the train station, but toward the "good" side of town.

Directions: Between the Palazzo Massimo museum and the Opera House, not far from Piazza della Republica

More about Hotel Columbia

Amazing Hotel Columbia!

Hotel Columbia is a fantastic hotel with a friendly staff who bend over backwards to help you.

The hotel was clean and our room was huge with a lovely view over the cafe and life below!

The hotel's rooftop terrace is superb for breakfast and a glass of wine in the afternoon sun. Its a haven from the busy streets.

Deborah and her team are superb and were able to look after all my requests. They surprised my girl friend with a bottle of champagne on her birthday which was very kind of them.

I would suggest this hotel to anyone as the location for siteseeing is as good as any.

Nice hotel with good location for traveling

by TripAdvisor Member don0256

My wife and I spent three days at the Hotel Columbia at the end of April for our honeymoon. We did the touristy thing in Rome for three days then spent the rest of our time in Positano (which was amazing). The hotel is in a great spot for transportation around the city. We used the Metro to get around and found it very easy to use. The only problem is that the Metro only has two lines so it doesn't hit many spots (unlike the Metro in Paris which goes everywhere) which means you'll be doing some walking unless you feel like messing with the busses. Rome isn't a very big city so walking around was great and is the best way to really get a sense of the city. Much better than being crammed in a bus with a bunch of tourists.

The hotel itself is very clean and the rooms/bathrooms were larger then the others I've stayed at in Europe. If you're going expecting a 5 star Hilton like in the states you'll be disappointed, it's more like a very clean Hampton Inn which was perfect for us. From reading reviews before we went I was worried about the area but I was happily surprised when we arrived. We both felt very safe and the people were extremely friendly even though we barely knew any Italian. However, be careful which way you go when you get out of the termini. When we first got off the train we took a wrong turn and ended up in a slummy neighborhood. It wasn't really that bad and I still felt safe but I was happy when we finally came across our hotel being in a nicer area.

The hotel staff is very friendly and will suggest restaurants for you. We thought the food was excellent until we spent some time in Positano and found the food to be unreal. Still the food was good in Rome but they definitely know how to do it in the South. Overall this was a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Couldn' be more pleased with the Columbia.

My wife and I just returned from an 8 day visit to Rome. Everthing about the hotel was wonderfull. Location (which I was a little concerned with before we left), staff, room, and roof top breakfast.

I would highly recommend for anyone who intends to use the train and will be walking to the many attractions on the east side of the Tiber.

Hotel Columbia in Rome

My wife and I just spent our second holiday at Hotel Columbia in Rome. It did not disappoint. It's within walking distance to the train station./ The staff are all courteous. The rooms are clean and well kept. The buffet breakfasts are fresh and plentiful and should keep you going until the Romans eat lunch in the mid-afternoon...don't forget to ask for the cappucinos at breakfast
We would recommend the hotel to anyone.
M.W....Toronto

Not very clean

My boyfriend and I just got home from a great trip through France and Italy. Rome was our last stop and we were planning on staying at Hotel Columbia for the last two nights of our vacation. We decided not to stay a second night at Hotel Columbia because we really did not like this hotel.

When we arrived at the Hotel, the first thing I noticed was that the carpet in the lobby was very dirty. Our room was on the first floor and the carpet was really old and dirty. The bathroom had hairs on the floor (the kind that really shouldn't be left behind when cleaning a bathroom) and the shower just did not look clean.

I am not overly picky when I stay in a hotel and I wasn't expecting the Hilton but I don't understand why all of the other reviews say that this place is clean. Every hotel we stayed in on our trip was much nicer and cleaner than this one and they were all around the same price range.

It is true that this hotel is in a fairly good location and the staff is friendly but I really would not recommend it based on the lack of cleanliness.

First trip to Rome

by TripAdvisor Member couplefromPA

Our first trip to Europe was a great experience in an extraordinary city. Our stay was made even more pleasant due to the hospitality of the staff at the Hotel Columbia. Good location, clean rooms, nice terrace for breakfast or drinks, and several excellent trattorias in the neighborhood.Thanks to Anke, Janette and Patti for making us feel at home.

out of this world

Hotel was very clean and friendly. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room was basic but very clean, and central to everything in Rome, but the holiday to Rome was out of this world.

Michael & Valerie Bradley