Via Muzio Clementi, 81, Rome, Lazio, 00193, Italy

Booking.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Rooftop terrace

Hotel Dei Mellini boasts of its own rooftop terrace, which was a nice feature. My husband and I would order a bottle of wine at the bar in the lobby, and the staff would bring up the bottle and two wine glasses.

I don't know how we lucked out, but our two rooms were the closest rooms to the rooftop terrace. The terrace did not get a lot of traffic, and we felt like we had our own terrace just outside the room.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Perfetto!

I absolutely agonized over finding the right hotel in Rome. I researched hotel pages incessantly. I finally selected Hotel Dei Mellini, and I could not have been happier with my choice. This 4 star hotel was elegant, extremely comfortable and worth every penny.

We didn't find any great deals through the typical hotel brokers, so we booked directly through the hotel website. Even so, the price we paid was lower than what seemed to be the going rate for most 4 star Roman hotels.

Unique Quality: Comfortable beds with fine linens, rooms were large by Rome standards, very nice marble bathrooms, quiet air conditioning that worked, quiet location on a residential street, short walk to Piazza Navona, great location for sightseeing, excellent buffet breakfast, friendly and professional staff.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

Directions: On the Vatican side of the river. This turned out to be a huge plus, because we were in a peaceful location without traffic noise.

More about Hotel Dei Mellini

Peopleless Piazza del Popolo

by karenincalifornia

All the piazzas in Rome are magnets for people. You won't see many people if you take a stroll at 5:00 am in the morning.

Piazza del Popolo was a 5 minute walk from the Hotel Dei Mellini, and is one of the gateways to Villa Borghese, Rome's counterpart to Central Park.

Delicious dining and fine wine in an old place

by karenincalifornia about Passetto

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel - the Hotel Dei Mellini. Like other things in Rome, Passetto is old. 150 years old. But "old" in this case doesn't mean dated. Passetto had a very up to date menu.

The interior has chandeliers and white tablecloths, and the waiters wear white coats (not of the strait jacket type.) This all makes the atmosphere a bit stuffy, but the food and ambience outweigh the stuffiness. It was a beautiful evening and we had a wonderful dinner outside on the patio. Reservations are recommended. The food was delicious - we had pasta and seafood. Service was impeccable.

The wine list was impressive. One of the things I loved about Rome was the vast selection of Italian wines that I will never find in the US. The Montepulciano (pictured here) that we had with dinner was fabulous! Every bit as good as 2001 Michel Schlumberger Cabernet Sauvignon.

Nice, very, very nice.

Lovely hotel . . . nice and quiet!

We spent three nights in Rome in August. The Hotel Dei Mellini was an oasis of coolness and peace. The staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating. Our room was beautiful, and the marble bathroom was quite large and well-appopointed. Breakfast was wonderful. We walked just about everywhere. It's just over the bridge to the Spanish Steps and over another bridge to the Piazza del Popolo. If I were to complain about anything, it would be that there are not enough restaurants in the immediate vicinity. This is a problem, because there is no restaurant in the hotel. Other than that, it was just about perfect!

A contemporary hotel that is the prefect choice when in Rome.

After taking some time deciding on accommodation for my break in Rome I finally booked the Dei Mellini based on the feedback from the other reviewers. I was not at all disappointed but relieved at my choice as the room was nicely furnished and of a good size. The hotel has a relaxed feel with friendly staff and of course good decor. The breakfast service is until noon so there is no great panic to get up in case you miss out. The food served is continental with a good selection including cheeses, breads, meats and fresh fruit.

The main appeal for this hotel has got to be the central location on a quiet street away from the crazy Roman drivers. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Spanish Steps and about a 20 minute walk to the Vatican. There is a very good cafe come restaurant round the block from the hotel, adjacent to the River Tiber, it serves very good pannis and gorgeous cakes.

I had an excellent holiday and as I threw a coin into the Trivi Fountain I will be definitely returning to Rome again, and of course staying at the Hotel Dei Mellini.

Time in Rome...

by TripAdvisor Member Goldens18

We just got back from Rome after a three-night stay at Hotel dei Mellini. The hotel is beautiful; it's contemporary and clean. There’s a lovely courtyard where you can write letters and/or read a book. We had a spacious two room suite. The room was clean and comfortable.

The reception desk staff were generally indifferent and unhelpful. The only staff I found to be extremely helpful and courteous was Roberto. I later found out that he’s the Manager.

The hotel is in a pretty good location. It’s about a ten to fifteen minute walk to the Vatican City and Piazza Navone. Also, they have a great pub down the street by the name of Vito’s. The service there was top notch!

Overall, if you don’t mind the staff being somewhat aloof, this is a great hotel.

Good hotel, good value

by TripAdvisor Member ParisDreamin'

This was the first leg in our honeymoon from which we just returned. The Dei Mellini definitely provided a good experience for a good price. I obtained a rate of 230 Euros per night, for four nights. The room, although a little small, was nicely decorated, and very tidy and clean. The hotel's location is a little remote, although we enjoy walking and didn't mind trekking a little farther to the various sites. Even the sights of Ancient Rome are only about a half hour's walk from the hotel. It was actually kind of nice to return to a hotel that wasn't in the middle of everything, so that we could enjoy a little peace and quiet in the evening. The only small inconvenience was a lack of good restaurants in the immediate vicinity. The staff was for the most part excellent, with the exception of only one front desk person, who I won't name, who I found to be rather condescending. Overall, though, a solid experince.

A peaceful retreat after a day's sightseeing

by TripAdvisor Member SarahLA

This review is a little overdue, as my husband and I visited Rome back in August, but I was beginning to feel guilty for not having written one as I know how useful I have found this website for researching hotels!

It is so easy to pick fault in the most perfect of places so for the benefit of those trying to decide where to stay I will try and be as constructive as possible!

We were due to stay at the Villa San Pio, based on the excellent reviews on this site, but then realised we could be more centrally located and benefit from a free room upgrade at the Dei Mellini, which was advertised on the hotel's own website (both hotels were priced at 140 euros per room per night).

I know bedrooms aren't important to everyone, and this was our second trip to Rome so I knew we'd have a fantastic time, but I'm a typical women and love a nice room and bathroom at the end of a hard day's sightseeing. The room was absolutely beautiful, spotlessly clean, with a stunning marble bathroom and so tastefully decorated.

Like other reviews, having read so much praise for the hotel my expectations were really high and for the most part I was not disappointed. The staff is extremely helpful, the breakfast's great and the pre-dinner drinks lovely. My one criticism - though absolutely no fault of the hotel and more to do with us going in August - was the lack of open 'local' restaurants in the immediate vicinity. The main reason we originally booked Villa San Pio was because it is situated in a lovely neighbourhood with great local restaurants, so that we could avoid the tourist traps in the evening. Unfortunately one of the restaurants near our hotel, which had been highly recommended in our guidebook, was closed until the end of August as the owners were on holiday. This was a real shame, as there's nothing better when you've got aching feet and legs, to be able to walk out of the hotel in an evening and eat with the locals. But as I say, this was not the hotel's fault and we should've thought about the restaurants being closed as it was the holiday season.

What was really great was being able to walk to the Vatican City and Spanish Steps during the day without having to contend with the underground/bus. It's about 15/20 minutes' walk to some of the major sites.

In summary I would really recommend the hotel, particularly if you can benefit from the free room upgrade as the larger, more luxurious room was a real plus.

Good hotel in Rome

Based on reviews I had read on Trip Advisor, I expected a top-notch hotel. This hotel is not an outstanding hotel, but it was a comfortable and convenient place to stay while in Rome for 4 days in late September. I found the staff to be aloof. In addition, the hotel touts room service and food available at the bar. However, on our first night at the hotel (and after a long day of travel), the only food available in the bar or room service was a cold ham & cheese sandwich on the Italian equivalent of wonder bread with the crust cut off. They literally had none of the food listed on the menu. Despite these minor inconveniences, the overall experience at the hotel was good. The breakfast is great. Our suite was spacious and clean. The location is great- a few minutes walk to the Spanish Steps, the Vatican, etc. Good restaurants are within a 5 minute walk. Overall, a good place to stay.

Acommadation in Rome

by Tote_sweet

Iam planning my trip to rome this summer, and i have been throw alot of hotels, it was bit hard to tell which one to go to. I have seen this hotel (Hotel dei Mellini ) Anyone have been there before? Do you have anu idea about or heared even about it.

Please let me know ....

RE: Acommadation in Rome

by abarbieri

Hotel dei Mellini is a very nice 4 star hotel(opened about 10 years ago) located just around the corner from Piazza Cavour.It is 10 min. walk from Spanish Steps and about the same from the Vatican.The street is quite and safe(there is a Carabinieri Station on the same street!!) and you have several good restaurants nearby.
I have seen some of their standard double room and they were much better then the average in Rome but still not huge.I also had a good impression from the front desk and bar staff.
I do prefer Hotel Capo d'Africa that is part of the same local chain and I consider the best 4 star Hotel in Rome, located only 2 minutes walk from the Colosseo.
Ciao,
Antonio

RE: RE: Acommadation in Rome

by Tote_sweet

WoooooooooooooooW, you calmed me down !!! Thanks for your feedback. I am looking at the Hotel Capo d'Africa...still looking for thier web.

RE: RE: Acommadation in Rome

by Tote_sweet

I found thier website ..will check availibilty NOWWWW!!!!!!

Comments