Via Milazzo, 42, Rome, Lazio, 00185, Italy

Booking.com Expedia.com Venere.com

• roamer61's Profile Photo

A comfortable place to stay

This was an exceptional 2 star accomodation situated on the north side of the Termini Station.
    The staff were quite friendly and helpful and the room was more than adequate. I stayed here 2 nights after returning from Tuscany. No english language TV though. A small breakfast room serves typical Italian Continental breakfasts.

Unique Quality: Though the location is not the best, its especially convenent for train travel, being just a few blocks from Termini Station. A plus is an in-room electronic safe to keep ones valuables.

• leics's Profile Photo

A real find

Updated after I stayed here a second time in 2012.

I first booked this hotel (in 2008) through www.venere.com (all my experiences with them have been good) but it's in Rome.....one allows one's expectations to drop somewhat in Rome. Second time around I used my favourite site: www.booking.com

I considered the hotel a real find in 2008, and I still hold that opinion. It seems to have expanded, with rooms on the ground floor as well as the first and second floor of a mansion block less than 5 minutes' walk from Termini station. It is absolutely clean and very well-appointed, with plenty of hot water. Staff are all friendly, pleasant and helpful (I believe it is run by a father and his 3 sons), excellent central heating (and I've now discovered the air con is equally good). Very good value for the price in Rome. Rooms have mini-bar, TV, phone, safe, hairdryer.

Rooms at the back overlook the small inner courtyard, so they are very quiet. The other rooms overlook the street: not noisy in terms of traffic, but with a daily market (clothes, shoes, vegetables, fruit, sometimes fish) which sets up from around 6am. If you are a light sleeper you might appreciate ear-plugs...but that is good advice when staying anywhere in Rome!

Breakfast is simple and typically Italian: bread rolls, preserves, pastries with good coffee (tea if you prefer). Yoghurt and cereal are also available.

There is a small lift, but the few steps up to it (and to reception) might be difficult for people with mobility problems.

You have to look carefully to find the entrance: it's at number 42 Via Milazzo, the second-to-last building on the left of the street as you walk from Termini. You need to press the buzzer for the hotel, and then the (massive and heavy) door will open. Security is really excellent: not only do you have to press the buzzer to get in but, if you are on the second floor, you have to press another buzzer (under video surveillance) to access the rooms.

Don't be put off by what might seem from appearances to be a bit of a rough area: it really isn't in the least bit 'dangerous'. There's a carabinieri station almost next door to the hotel and...most importantly...lots of ordinary Roman families living in the area (and in the mansion block where the hotel is).

I noticed this time round that I wasn't the only person from abroad who was making a return visit, which says something.

Unique Quality: The cleanliness.

The friendliness and courtesy of the staff.

The hugely convenient position: less than 5 minutes to Termini station for the Leonardo Express and other trains, same for the buses to Fiumicino and Ciampino airports, 5 minutes to the main bus station and Termini Metro, 20 minutes or so walk to the Colosseum.......you couldn't find a more convenient place.

The good value bars, cafes, pizzeria and restuarants nearby; patronised by locals, so they don't charge tourist prices!

I said, in 2008, that I'd happily stay there again as a single middle-aged female. And now I have. :-)

Directions: Walk out of the station to the right (with your back to the trains). Cross the road and turn right.Turn left onto Via Milazzo and walk almost to the end of the street. Domus Praetoria is the last but one building on the left (read the buzzers).

• CLillard's Profile Photo

Good location

This is a very small hotel, which has about 2 floors of an apartment building. The owners are very nice and speak English. The rooms are quite big by European standards and they are nice. I forgot to take pictures of our room, but the pictures on their website are accurate. There are many restaurants all around the block.

If you are a woman or group of women and walk around the block where the hotel is in the evening, you might have Italian men giving you compliments out loud. Some women may not like this, but my sister and I thought it was funny. If a woman is walking around with her husband, the Italian guys won't say anything...so don't worry.

I used http://www.venere.com to book the hotel online with my credit card. I couldn't figure out a way to pay on the Hotel's website.

Unique Quality: This hotel is rated #1 in Rome on tripadvisor.com . You can find out more information about this hotel by reading the comments on that website.

Directions: about 2 blocks from the Termini train/metro station.

• Best two star in rome

Ive been to Rome 3 times ,and have stayed in different hotels each time but domus praetoria has to be the best so far. It is run by 3 brothers who speak english, which is rare in Italy. They are extremely helpful and the hotel is great. Its got air conditioning, a elevator (small but works), and a blowdryer in the rooms. The bathroom is a pretty decent size since most bathrooms in europe are the size of the bathrooms in airplanes.

Unique Quality: Two blocks away from termini and close to a location which is safe and open till late. There are a good amount of restaurants and all the sites are walking distance except for the vatican.

Directions: Near Termini

More about Hotel Domus Praetoria

Domus Praetoria a good value

by TripAdvisor Member theonlypuckster

The Domus Praetoria provided a clean room (and clean bathroom) with ample space (by European standards) & it had Air Conditioning on which we could set the thermostat. In addition to the AC, the windows opened to let in the cool morning air. Hotel staff spoke fluent english, so communication was not an issue. Some might find it a bit noisy, but as someone who's used to city life, it did not bother me a bit. The street turned into a market place from about 8am to 2pm. The hotel was probably a 6-8 block walk from the central train station in Rome (Termini), so the location was very good. Just as an idea, the walk to the Pantheon from here was probably about 25-30mins. There are probably some hotels that are situated more closely to the main sites, but we had no problem using the metro system to get to the Vatican and Colosseum, and we walked almost everywhere else. 1/2 the beauty of Rome is seeing fountains and sculptures you're not even looking for. My one slightly negative feedback is that the hotel was a bit too interested in our whereabouts. They require/request you to leave room cards at the main desk anytime you leave the premises. They seemed really concerned with security. This could be viewed as a good thing if you're worried about undesirables around your hotel room & valuables, or a bad thing if you're trying to sneak 3 people into a double room. We paid 475 euros for 4 nights for 3 people. If/when I return to Rome, if i'm looking for a hotel in this price range, this will be the 1st place I contact.

As great as the reviews say!

by TripAdvisor Member Yokine

My brother and I spent three nights this month at the Domus Praetoria and found that it lived completely up to the previous glowing reviews. We had a room with twin single beds that was very spacious and had a very good sized bathroom. It was spotlessly clean, quiet and had great blinds. The room itself would be rated four star in many European cities.

We particularly enjoyed getting out for the cafe breakfast across the road. Sensational coffee and pastries standing with the locals. The hotel recommeded "Steak House" restuarant was very good value. The Chianti Classico was a great choice :-)

As for the "rough" Termini area, OK it's not a touristic highlight, but as long you are aware (rather than paranoid) there is not much to worry about. Personally, I would be more concerned for my belongings when in the mobs at the Trevi Fountain or Spanish Steps.

A great value hotel in the greatest city on earth!

Bargain in Rome

by TripAdvisor Member forensicsgirl

Our group of seven stayed at the Domus Praetoria for four nights. We reserved our multiple double rooms through Venere for 80 Euros per night. We had a last minute addition to our group. The hotel staff added an extra bed to one of the rooms without a problem. Per our request, the hotel arranged for a shuttle to pick us from Ciampino airport. We paid 90 Euros for shuttle service.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Maps of the local area were available at the front desk. Rooms were comfortable and clean. The rooms varied in size. Most of the rooms were quite large! We did have a small problem with our shower draining slowly. The A/C worked well. We didn't have any problems with the cable television. Breakfast was a pastry with a beverage. With the wide assortment of pastries available, it was difficult to select just one.

The area around Termini can be a little sketchy but with our large group, we didn't feel threatened. Hotel security was more than adequate.

During the day, our group used the subway frequently to see the sites. Paid 40 Euro for a tour of the Vatican with the USO. On Sunday, we caught a train to Pompei and toured the sites there. Upon our arrival to the Pompei train station, we took a 10 Euro cab ride to the excavation site. Since there isn't much shade available, be sure to bring water and sunscreen to Pompei.

As requested, the hotel arranged for our shuttle ride back to the airport for 90 Euros. We could have caught the Terravision bus without a problem but didn't want to deal with the hassle of dragging our luggage a couple of blocks to the pick-up site.

The Domus Praetoria is an excellent hotel. Our group wasn't disappointed. We would definitely stay here again. This hotel is a great find!

Great Hotel for the Money

We stayed for 3 nights from July 3rd - July 6th and thought this was a very nice hotel. As far as the pros, I agree with what the other reviews stated. I also wanted to add that I really liked the neighborhood. I found the "locals" in the touristy parts of town a bit abrupt and unfriendly, but the people around the hotel were very nice and accommodating. The coffee shop where we had breakfast was great, as were all the little stores that we stopped in for water, etc. Also, the fruit market was an added bonus. We would stock up in the morning and snack throughout the day. Every night we walked home between 10 and 11 and felt fairly safe, although I wouldn’t recommend doing this if you’ve had too much to drink because the back side of Termini is a bit sketchy (this is coming from someone from New York City).

I also noted a few cons that I felt I should mention. The hairdryer in our first room was broken and we told them right after we checked in. They said they would try to fix it and move us if they couldn't, but I felt that they thought that we broke it because they seemed suspicious. We had just checked in!! The next day we were gone from 11am-8pm, and when we got back they said they couldn't fix it, but that they didn't have another room until the next night. OK fine. Well, we go upstairs and the maid hadn't cleaned our room, because she thought we were moving. One of the brothers calls us (somehow he knew it wasn't clean), and suddenly they have another room. Our new room was much nicer, which is why I think they didn't want to move us there in the first place. I know that's a weird story, but I felt that the way they handled the situation was a bit odd and made us feel as if we had done something wrong.

Also, we didn't think the rooms were too comfortable. The two we had were all hardwood and marble and didn't have one rug. After walking around the city for 3 days, our feet could have used something soft! Also, the sheets were so thin that they were see-through (although I think this is common in Italy). However, the blanket/comforter was equally as threadbare and depressing, which made the bed very uninviting. It truly was the most uncomfortable bed I've been in. Although there was a huge armoire in the room, we didn't have an extra blanket or pillow.

The hotel is on a few different floors, and after you come up the stairs/elevator to your floor, you need to be buzzed through another door to get to your room. Our second room was right by this secondary door, and it slams so loudly! I am not sure why they don’t change that, but it was very loud, especially when we were sleeping. Lastly, we didn’t have one English speaking channel! It would be nice to have access to CNN, BBC, etc. It was tough not to hear any English for 4 days or to be able to get the headlines.

Overall, a decent hotel for the money in a nice part of town that’s away from the craziness of the rest of the tourists!

A very good hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member donato4life

Stayed there on the 10/08/05 till the 17/08/05. :-( Just came back!
What can I say about this little hotel? It was just lovely. The room was clean and spacious, and for only 80 euros it felt like we (my girlfriend and I) should of been paying much more! As the other reviews state it is very close to the termini, so the tourist attractions are easy to get too. All I can say is a massive thank you to our hosts for making our visit to Rome very memorable. The only negative thing is perhaps the actual area it is in, but overall we enjoyed our stay there.

What a Gem

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights from 17 - 23rd August. Can only endorse what has already been said! Great hotel, rooms spotless and well equipped for this type of break. Very secure and proprietors very friendly and helpful! Breakfast adequate with wonderful coffee and pastries. Again staff in the cafe were friendly and helpful. Liked the location, may be a bit far out but termini only 5 minute walk away but we didn't use metro much walked everywhere!! Would definately stay here again and can only recommend this hotel as a wee gem!

Domus Praetoria Hotel?

by jubnem

I've just booked several nights at the Hotel Domus Praetoria, city zone listed in Marsala - Termini. Address is Via Milazzo 42.

Can anyone provide some feedback on this hotel and/or the area? Thank you!

Re: Domus Praetoria Hotel?

by melissa_bel

There's only one review on tripadvisor but it's a good one:

The location is very central, very easy to reach because it's next to Rome's main train station so you won't have any difficulties getting there and about town.

Comments