Vicolo del Leonetto, 23, Rome, Lazio, 00186, Italy

Official Site

• Excellent location and value

I stayed here from 4/27/06-5/5/06 at the onset of the tourist blitz. Ideally located on the south bank of the Tiber near the Ponte Umberto, it was a short walk from most major sites such as the Vatican, Pantheon, Forum, Capitol, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori etc. This saved much time that would be spent wrangling for crowded buses and metros. As noted previously, the rooms are a bit small, but given the above-noted advantages, I just bit the bullet, hung my belongings in the closet, and stored my suitcase in the corner, opening it when necessary. It was a good idea getting a cab from Termini train station, as I would have never found it on my own; it's located in the alley-like Vicolo del Leonetta, just off the Via della Scroffa. The small bed was surprisingly comfortable, and the room was restored to a clean, orderly state when I arrived home at the end of a gruelling day of Roman tourism. The staff were kind and helpful, offering advice on things to see, and the best ways of getting to them. I was also pleased with the resolution of a complaint. While cleaning my room, the staff accidently broke my travel alarm. This situation was promply dealt with, and I was subsequently reimbursed for my loss. My only real complaint arose from a situation I encountered when I shut the windows. When I did this, I noticed a faint, but foul sewage-like odor which may have come from some pipes in the wall underneath (my room was #103) . However, this was easily remedied by opening the window to allow the fresh air in. As this was the start of Spring, this was no problem. Finally, the daily continental breakfast was adequate, and allowed me to start the day fueled and ready to go. I would recommen this hotel to those willing to for go some luxury and get a good value.

Unique Quality: Well situated : within walking distance of most major attractions.
    Clean, comfortable rooms.
    Friendly, helpful professional staff

Directions: Pantheon/Piazza Navona area

• Climbing Over Luggage

Hotel: Due Torri, Rome, Italy

I would not recommend this hotel if you are traveling alone. My room was so tiny that it made functioning difficult. I had to choose which part of the floor I could put my luggage: in front of the window, so that I had to move the valise each time I wanted to open/close windows/drapes, or in front of the closet so I had to kick the case aside each time I wanted to use the closet. To use the toilet, one had to first sit sideways since the sink was placed so close to the front of the toilet; consequently, once seated, you had a "sink" in your lap". All of this for $150 per night. I did arrive one day before expected, but was told that I would have the same room had I arrived on the expected date.

The hotel was clean, well located, quiet and the included breakfast was quite good. The front desk personnel were good, except for the evening desk man who 'granted' me the room for the extra evening as though he was donating it to me. I would have gladly paid a little more to have a chair and a place to put my luggage in my room.

• Lovely boutique hotel in Rome

I had a very enjoyable stay in this hotel. It was located in a very quiet area but close to everything. Short walk to Piazza Navona. The staff were very helpful. Hotel was clean. My window looked out onto narrow quiet street. Single room was small - but not unusual for Italy.

Unique Quality: Each room had air conditioning, mini bar, bath, sat. tv, radio and hairdryer.

Directions: on a narrow street between Piaza Navona and the Tevere

More about Hotel Due Torri

by Radiomom about Hotel Due Torri

Location Location Location --- although you have to find it first! It a couple blocks from Piazza Navona, toward the river. Terrific staff, lovely breakfast room, comfortable lobby rooms with multi-language papers, magazines, etc. The location is perfect -- you can walk to everywhere from here. Prices were still in Lira when we were here, but we paid about $145US for a double in May. Family suite available with 2 bedrooms/1 bath.
Air conditioned, all amenities, good size showers! My sister stayed in a single -- the bedroom was really tiny, I think the bathroom was bigger (well, it was a pretty big bath). I expect that the up-to-date rates are on their website. It really was a lovely place to stay in Rome

If you can find it, The Hotel...

by mymyth

If you can find it, The Hotel Due Torri in Verona is definitely worth a visit. I arrived there one night on my way back to Milan from Venice when the Autostrada became a nightmare because of very heavy fog. I asked a passer-by about a hotyyel and he pointed to the Due Torri about 200 yards from where I had stopped. I went in and requested a room for the night. The clerk walked accross the lobby and as she switched on a display board, she asked 'What kind of room would you prefer?' I then so illuminated slides of the 40 some odd rooms in the hotel, each decorated with authentic period furniture of various periods and places. Louis XIV, Chinese Ming Dynasty, Belle Epoque, Directoire, Roman Imperial etc. What an experience! Genuine antiques from a variety of places and periods in every room. See 'Reccomendation' above

Solo Trip....

by blueshirt

Well, what was going to be a 2 week trip with my S.O. looks like now will be a solo trip.

Not sure I still want to stay in Venice, in a room with a canopy bed and fireplace if you know what I mean.

So now it looks like I might have to cancel all of my hotel reservations because what was affordable split in half is now too much for solo. And then that allows me to go anywhere I really want.

Any suggestions for a solo traveler. I have been to Florence and Bologna so I don’t "need" to go there. My flight is on 9/10 to Rome and leaves Venice on 9/26 for Budapest and Prague (meeting a friend there).

At 33yrs old I feel I might feel a little out of place for Hostels and sharing the bathrooms....

Thanks for suggestions

Re: Solo Trip....

by Radiomom

If you still plan to do Rome, Hotel due Torri Roma has fairly reasonable singles w/ensuite baths, although the bedroom is only slightly bigger than the bathroom...but it is well located near Piazza Navona. Rome is such a social city that I think being 33 and on your own you would have a great time. Consider getting a car as you leave Rome, and drive through Orvietto, maybe Assisi, maybe Verona and the areas outsite of Venise (Asolo) or even up through the Dolomites before heading down to Venice. We covered a good bit of those parts of Italy a couple years ago (my page quotes all prices still in lira...so it was pre-Euro) but found the countryside pleasing, the people engaging, and the food and wine delicious. Being on your own, you can just stop at the Tourist Office on arrival (maybe not in Rome...) and they can show you multiple alternatives. (A guy I work with even does that when he goes to Venice on his own.) There are many small, sociable hotels that are NOT hostels yet still easy on the pocketbook.

Comments