Via Carlo Alberto 13, Rome, Lazio, 00185, Italy

Photo by David CenciottoPhoto by David Cenciotto

Assisi CathedralAssisi Cathedral

...another view...another view

Michelangelo's "Moses"Michelangelo's "Moses"

hotel giubileo near termini ?

by ckd999

Hello,

Just booked a hotel in Rome for 4 days. Now I'm reading on this site and forum and see the Termini Area is not the best place to stay :S.

The hotel is called Giubileo in the via Carlo Alberto 13, very near to Santa Maria della Maggiore (700 meters from Terministation). Is this a bad place to stay / bad place at night ? Is it the "Termini Area" ?

Thanks a lot!

RE: hotel giubileo near termini ?

by Lacristina

One problem is that there is no definition of the area meant when someone says "Termini." By most definitions the Opera House, a great museum (Palazzo Massimo), and a five star hotel are within the Termini area, and should be avoided.

Forgive me if I quote from my Intro Page on Rome:

"VT member (and Rome guru) Ciambella is right. All of us who love Rome should have the following sentence at the beginning our our Rome pages. "There is nothing wrong with the area around Termini."

No, it's not elegant, yes a bit scruffy like most train station neighborhoods, but there are many reasonably priced hotels nearby. You don't need to be afraid. I have stayed in the Termini neighborhood myself many times. (There are a couple of streets with some really run-down hotels that I wouldn't recommend, on the far south-west side of Termini, on Via Giolitti, just past the car rental area.)

Of course, you should pay attention as you would in any other major city. There are pickpockets about at many tourist areas as well as the train station and airport."

I think all this advice applies here. I know the street you mention, though not the hotel. I even have a photo of the street here, in a tip about political demonstrations. It was taken from the steps in front of Santa Maria Maggiore as the parade marched down via Carlo Alberto.

In general, Rome is safer than most American cities, including my own. The biggest worry in Rome is pickpockets and that is much more likely to happen on a crowded bus or metro.

A more important question for me would be am I getting good value for my money at this hotel? What do the reviews say? Can I find a better hotel for the same money?

Have you checked reviews on www.tripadvisor.com or www.venere.com or here on VT? Venere.com is a great place to start looking and comparing.

Cristina

RE: RE: hotel giubileo near termini ?

by ckd999

Superb answer, thanks a lot !

RE: hotel giubileo near termini ?

by df53

I stayed on the same street last christmas in the Golden Tulip. While its perhaps not the best area in Rome I didnt think it was a bad place at all: excellent for getting to the train station and most of the major sites.

Travel Tips for Rome

Here you can enjoy Roman...

by l_joo

Here you can enjoy Roman culture. I don't know much about Rome but from what I see, this city is going to remain as old as possible. They just want to keep and maintain the look of their Roman Empire.

Piazza di Pasquino

by sandysmith

Pasquino, a local tailor, started a trend when one night he stuck a caustic note to the authoriites on this little weather beaten statue as a form of safe protest.
Today this tradition still goes on - wish I could read italian! Some notes were about the war in Iraq.

The Metro, the best value in Rome

by nyonnetti

The Metro is a great resource to use to get around Rome, especially all the major tourist sights. It costs just 1 Euro for a trip, but you can purchase a 24 hour pass, 3 day pass, a weekly pass, and there are other deals as well. We found this mode of transportation to be so convenient and easy to follow. The metro basically has 2 lines- Line A and Line B. Both lines intersect at Termini, Rome's train station. I recommend finding accommodations close to a metro stop as this can be very convenient, especially when you are trying to maximize your time to see all the tourist spots. For example, we stayed by the Barberini stop and could get on the metro and be at the Ottaviano stop within 10 minutes to go to the Vatican. Or from the Barberini stop we could go to Termini and pick up Line B and be at the Coliseum within just a few minutes as well.

Typical food and eat in the garden!

by gmg61 about Trattoria "Scalini" di Angelo e Orietta

Plain Trattoria in a popular area of Rome. Enjoy the typical cuisine with the locals and with good weather eat in the garden, under citrus trees and with cats jumping around!

Closed on Sunday Pasta alla Carbonara

Trevi Fountain

by msmodeshowsuhow

I expected a big fountain to be in a big square. But the Trevi, tacked onto the end of a terrace wall, dwarfs it’s surroundings.. It was the last ‘attraction’ I saw before leaving - it took me ages to find because I kept getting lost and diverted. But when I found it, it was everything I could want from a fountain.

Comments