Hotel Il Quadrifoglio

More about Rome

Equestrian statue of Marcus AureliusEquestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius

In front of Circo MassimoIn front of Circo Massimo

The Vatican guardThe Vatican guard

Cats are not totally wild; they are fed frequentlyCats are not totally wild; they are fed frequently

Bed and breakfast in Rome for July

by greekinspain

Hello!
We are planing to go to Rome for the first time in the begining of July and we are now checking the accomodation. We are focused on bed & breakfast since they are many and look fine, with private bathroom and ... well, not very expensive! Apparently the begining of July in Rome doesn´t seem to be high season and we have found one near Termini station, is called Piumith B&B and they have availability and great price 70 euros, before we book it we wanted to find any more information, comments but it seems there are none. Has anyone ever been there? Or can give us an idea about something else?
Thank you in advance!

Plenty of reviews here:

has good scores for the hotel, but no written reviews (at least, not in English).

But www.venere.com is an excellent and reliable site for finding accommodation in Rome and elsewhere (used by lots of us VT-ers).

So have a look at your other options before you book. I can recommend the Hotel Domus Praetoria, also in Termini; you'll find it on venere.

by swissfondue

I checked it out on venere.com as well. It certainly looks OK and the bathroom looks nice. The price is certainly very good and the location is OK. It is quite close to the station, in a busy street if I remember correctly, but also very near to Santa Maria Maggiore which is one of Rome's loveliest churches.
I've stayed near Termini (on Via Nazionale) and it is as safe as anywhere in Rome.

One little tip: Nice gelati at the place opposite the church but very hard on the wallet.

by leics

I remember their 'marron glace' flavour very well! :-)

by swissfondue

Leics, did you think that gelati place was more expensive? Its bugging me.

by leics

Erm........not when I went in 2006 (I think).

And I didn't go there this time (being with a friend who wasn't so into gelato :-( ).

2 euros per two-flavour cono seemed to be the standard Rome rate in April this year.

by leics

Except in the very touristy places, like around the Forum etc, where it was 2.50 (or even 3!!).

SM Maggiore seems to have become incredibly popular since I first visted (Da Vinci??): maybe they've upped their prices in consequence?

by swissfondue

Yeah, I reckon that's the case. I had a gelati from there last November and it did seem expensive compared to other places. My husband was a very happy man though. I loved the church. He loved the gelati

Speaking of gelati, fancy going on holidays with a friend who doesn't eat it much. What were you thinking! You must do more thorough checks on your friends LOL.

by leics

I know...she's not much into history or archaeology either! :-(

Mind you, she loved Rome (and I took her to Tivoli for the gardens, so she was a happy bunny).

Next time I'll go by myself and have a gelato-fest!

Bed and breakfast in Rome for July

by drewnycnyc

hi, we stayed at a new and modern B&B near termini station but on the more quiet side called www.wheninromeaccommodation.com the price was about 70 euros also, rooms were air conditioned and very nice indeed, beautifully furnished so there is an alternative to the piumith as you've asked - hope it helps you guys out! and enjoy rome :-)

Travel Tips for Rome

Photography tips for Rome

by monorailgold

Rome is a beautiful city to photograph, however, it does pose some problems that you should be aware of. A lot of the monuments are done in white stone. This can be difficult for your camera to take a good picture. It will need your help in order for the exposure to be correct. My first suggestion would be to read (or reread) the manual that came with the camera. Get to know all the settings. Most digital cameras have different settings on the dial to help with your pictures. Learn the difference in these settings. Check if your camera has an exposure compensation setting. Use this if you are photographing something that is completly white or black. The camera will make white things look dull and dark things look grey. Use the exposure compensation in these situations. You want to add compenstion for white objects and take away compensation for dark objects. (please click thru the photos posted to see what I mean). My next suggestin would be to use the fill flash (or learn how to quickly turn the flash on and off as needed). Use the flash if you are in shadows and the background is in sunlight. If the light on the subject is very bright the camera won't fire the flash on its own and you will be left in the shadows. The fill flash will light you so you can be seen with the background. My next suggestion is to fill the frame. Wide shots of the forum are great and I have a ton of them, but when photographing fountains, sculptures, or specific buildings, fill the frame as much as you can with the main subject of the photo. This cuts out the clutter and draws attention to where you want it. Next would be to try different angles and vantage points. Everyone has a picture of the Pantheon from the front (I have about 30!!), but try going around to the side or the back of the building. Next would be to put someone in the picture for scale. Looking at a picture of big doors does not convey the size unless someone is in front them to actually show the scale. My last tip would be if you are using a flash to light something that is behind glass, stand to the side so the reflextion from the flash wont blurr the picture. Shooting at an angle illuminates the subject, not the glass. See all the pics to get a better idea of the hints.

Roman Acqueduct

by AlexDJ

One of the reasons why ancient Rome became famous is for the quality of its water and for its abundance. The merit goes all to the Roman architects and thir ability in construction. When the water of the wells was not sufficient any more, they found a solution in constructing aqueducts to bring water from the hills. From the IV century a.C., of the aqueducts of the underground water or "tiberine" enjoyed abundant water until the coming of the Goti in the VI century.
Water was used for the public fountains, for privates and for thermal bath. Such equipment, suitable for the idrogeological character of the hill and mountain territory around Rome, was also a direct result of the extraordinary ability acquired regarding hydraulic engineering of the Romans, using the knowledge they acquired from their teachers, the Ethruscans.
Provided with the elementary instruments, with sharp pickax and refined orientation paths, Roman engineers were sublime in conducting water to Rome, even from remote places, sometimes passing the mountains and digging valleys.

Airport Transfer - RomeCabs

by monica71

I did a lot of reading prior to our vacation and decided to hire a taxi to get us from the airport to our apartment and back. We really did not want to deal with public transportation after a 10 hours plus trip from Chicago to Rome.
We hired Rome Cabs to take care of our round trip transfer and we could not be happier for doing it. We paid 45 Euros for each transfer (all the private transfers start from 45 Euros and up).

My communication with Stefano, the company owner, was flawless. I got prompt answers to all my emails and he answered all my questions and concerns. You have to email him the flight information, so they can monitor the flight (just in case there are flight delays) and make sure somebody is waiting for you at the airport when you arrive. The payment is cash only, done after you are being dropped off at your final destination.

When we arrived in Rome, our cab driver was waiting for us at the airport, holding a sign with our names on it. Since our apartment was not ready for us until 10:30am, she took us on a one hour free ride around the city, pointing out the main attractions. On the day we left Rome, the driver came to our apartment and picked us up from there right on time.

mhh... original roman food

by jazzmatazz about Hostaria Giggetto al Portico d'Ottavia

Basically it's a spacious roman upper class restaurant. Exclusively well dressed italians, very nice atmosphere and service, excellent vine, delicious food such as cannelloni, spaghetti alle vongole (with mussels), several fish soups, vegetarian food, innards (watch out!), no pizza! Spaghetti ai frutti di mare (seafood)

Stanze di Raffaello

by andy613

One of the last things you'll see on a tour of the Vatican Museums, before the Sistine Chapel, are the Stanze di Raffaello, or Raphael Rooms...Four magnificent rooms adorned with frescos covering every inch of every wall, by Raphael and his students.
And not just the walls, but the ceilings too....!

Probably the most notable, and certainly the most memorable, is The School of Athens in the Stanza della Segnatura...Look out for images of the great philosophers; Plato, Aristotle, Pythagoras et al and cameos of Michelangelo (leaning against a block of marble at the front) and a self-portrait of the artist himself (in the black beret on the right).

Comments