Via Rasella 29, Rome, Lazio, 00187, Italy

Booking.com AMOMA.com Priceline.com

• arnesk's Profile Photo

Good location, tacky place

Rome is a city where there are must-sees everywhere. That means that you can find a lot of hotels with a good location, just by something important. Still, there is a lot of hotels too far from the city center.

This hotel is two minutes from the Trevi fountain. And it is a sight, also when you are walking home after a long night, and are passing this terrific fountain in moonlight.

So the location is good. The hotel is in a quiet street. The price was not too bad. But it is far from a designhotel. It is quite a tacky place. Kind of the feeling of a cabin in the boat between Oslo and Copenhagen, if that means anything to you.

I liked the guy in the reception. He was a quiet guy, but charming. We talked about football, and he was a AS Roma-fan. But we ordered a car from the hotel to take us to the airport at the end of the vacation, and they were so delayed that we got afraid of loosing the plane.

Unique Quality: Location just by the Trevi fountain.

More about Hotel Julia

I liked Hotel Julia

Having read the latest reviews of Hotel Julia I am wondering how it is possible that the staff can be fairly rude, helpful and extremely friendly? And how is it possible that the breakfast can be abundant, the croissants good, and then stale?

I wanted a hotel near the Spanish steps and I chose hotel Julia because the price suited me. Because of the mixed reviews I had read, I decided not to have any expectations beforehand and to take things as they come. Maybe that is why I was not disappointed (I won't bother to mention the tiny bathroom).

The location and the quiet street are tops. The room, the staff, the breakfast, the service: no complaints.

My opinion of Hotel Julia? I'll go back there any time!

We stayed in Hotel Julia in...

by piglet44

We stayed in Hotel Julia in Rome.
Not luxurious but extremely well situated about 5 minutes walk from Trevi.It cost about $!00 for a quad room for our whole family.
In Tuscany we stayed in a farmhouse called Bellavista,
about 20 mins drive from Florence. It was brilliant,with its own private swimming pool open even at night which was great for the kids. the farmhouse was the most heavenly place I have ever stayed. They make their own honey,and the pool was fun. You can tour around all day and then come home to swim. We also went horseriding nearby. the owners gave us all the details of the place.

Average 3 star hotel with great location but small rooms

I stayed 5 nights at Hotel Julia. The location is great (just a few minutes walk to Fontana di Trevi, Spanish Steps, etc. and less then 3 blocks from Barberini metro station). The double room was really small, with even smaller bathroom, but it was tidy. It is an average 3 star hotel for Italy standards (I stayed at better and worse ones there).

Great experience !

We stayed 4 days at Hotel Julia and we were extremely pleased with this hotel. We had spent lot of time looking at the reviews on trip advisor and this one seemed to be one of the most convenient and quite affordable (we paid 110 euros/night). The staff was actually very helpful and nice, telling us right on the beginning where to go and which places to avoid. Our room was beautiful (with wood everywhere) and large (we had chosen queen double) and everything was perfectly clean. The breakfast was good and we had really nothing to complain about in this Hotel. Maybe we were lucky with our room but we now highly recomend this Hotel to our friends!

Not worth 3 Stars

After spending almost $200 and with a 3 star rating, my husband and I had higher expectations for Hotel Julia.

Pros:
-Good location on a quiet street with access to subway. Withing walking distance of many major sights. Restaurants, Bars and Snack stores within walking distance.
-Safe area.
-Rooms were clean, included bathroom with shower.
-Staff OK if you get to the right person, but there only appears to be one of those.

Cons:
-Rooms very, very small. Hardly room to place suitcase. We had to unpack before we could go out to explore, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to open the door. Can't have bathroom door and wardrobe open at the same time. Can't sit at desk if you are over a size 2 because chair pulls out in front of the bed.
-Forget about the laundry service. We arrived for a 2 night stay and had been travelling throughout Italy. We asked where there might be a local laundrymat. Was told there wasn't any nearby. When we asked about the laundry service that was mentioned on their website the front desk attendant said "I don't know, you will have to ask tomorrow morning". This was only the afternoon. Knowing the next day was Sunday we figured we were in trouble. Had the front desk attendant told us another "Wash and Fold" cleaner was nearby we would have left our stuff there (which we found walking around, but had closed 1/2 before we got there). He couldn't be bothered as he was busy talking to his friends. So instead we asked housekeeping in the morning. The housekeeper agreed to wash a few of our things to get us by. Since she wasn't sure what to charge us, I got the feeling this was not something she normally did, but brought our clothes to us on Monday morning. Thanks to her we were wearing clean clothes when we checked out. Had this been taken care of when we first checked in, we would have been happier. After all, they stated they had laundry service on several websites.
-Apparently this is a new thing in Europe, but first time for us. Your room key has a card which must be inserted in a wall switch for the lights to work. So if you are staying with another person and want to go down to the bar, don't expect to be able to leave the room with the key. There is only one light key per room and no copies. For that much money, I thought a little ridiculous.
-Breakfast was really chintzy for the price of the hotel. Was expecting much more from a 3 star hotel. I wasn't looking for a world class buffet, but was disappointed with loaf ham, canned peaches and stale croissants. We had experienced much better throughout Italy at cheaper hotels. Coffee is served in airpots at the buffet, so everyone is killing each other to get to it. Every other place we stayed at brought you a small carafe for the table.
If you can get a good deal at Hotel Julia, go for it. I wouldn't spend more than 100 Euros for a room there.

Central and quiet location

I agree with other reviewers that this hotel is in a great location. Compared to a similar tourist-class hotel we stayed at in Florence, this was the better bargain by far (though it still wasn't cheap). I was pleasantly surprised by the abundant breakfast, which included rolls, croissants, coffee, juices, hard-boiled eggs, assorted cheeses, salami, jams, and the ever-present Nutella! The rooms are very small, especially the laughably tiny bathroom, but you're not going to be in the room much, anyway. The staff was also very helpful and patient with our broken Italian. For all you light sleepers out there: this hotel is on a quiet street, I didn't even need my earplugs. Would stay here again.

Nice, quiet, friendly and convenient but not fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member nporiord

This place was nice and clean and I cannot fault the extremely friendly staff. The only problem is that is was it was a bit dear for a fairly average hotel. The breakfast (as was mentioned before) was very average even by roman standards. Although the location if fantastic and is is on a nice quiet side street.

Bit of a rip off

We were expecting a bit more for our AUD but I guess as my husband says, you cant convert and in Italy accomodation in a good location is pricey. The room was small but fairly clean except for the mould in the shower. The bed consisted of 2 singles pushed together, this seems to be common but drives us insane! There was an odd smell in the hallway, but as other reviewers stated, you are not going to be in your room much, thereàs too much to see outside. The croissants are good at breakfast, but beware of the night staff who are not so good with English... The curious wooden beam in the bed room ceiling was puzzling and left us wondering its purpose. The airconditioning worked well and was a godsend in the roman heat. All in all, I think this hotel is expensive for a 3 star. I am glad we were only here two nights. My advice is to splash out and spend at least 200 EURper night if you can to make your trip nicer.

Great value, amazing location

Excellent value. I stayed in the Economic Single which had a shower located down the hall in a very spacious room. And even though the hotel room was small, it was more than adequate. The air conditioning functioned and the very firm bed was a welcome comfort after a day around the city. The staff were friendly and helpful, although I didn't have any complicated demands. The breakfast buffet was serviceable with a small selection of pastries, meats, hard boiled eggs, cheese, and juice. They also have made-to-order cappuccino or espresso. Of course, I much preferred to rush out and spend my time at the charming caffes around the neighbourhood...far more interesting to soak up the local atmosphere than to spend my time in a hotel dining hall with a bunch of tourists.

The best feature, of course, is the location. Absolutely perfect. It's on a quiet street mere minutes away from the Trevi Fountain. An absolute delight. Definitely well worth it and I would certainly stay there again.

Comments