Hotel Lirico

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• sungupta's Profile Photo

Great base to explore Rome

The hotel is a very good base for tourists to explore the old Roman city.

It is only a few minutes from Termini and it was quite easy for us to wheel our bags from the Hotel to the Station.

There is a long flight of stairs that you have to climb to reach the reception. There are a few more steps from the reception to the lift. Travelers with large heavy bags could find is difficult and inconvenient.

The rooms are very clean and well maintained, Our room had a nice view of the Opera House. The breakfast was good and plentiful although the breakfast area is a little cramped.

The staff was very pleasant, helpful and accommodating. All the major sights are more or less within a comfortable walking distance. The area is also quite safe even at night.

We got back one night late after midnight by the metro and never felt unsafe walking in the area. I would recommend this hotel for the tourist.

Unique Quality: The location is quite ideal.

Directions: From the Termini Bus station walk into Via Viminale. The hotel is about 200 metres on the right side right next to the Opera House.

• aquatic's Profile Photo

Small, less expensive but still nice...

I felt very welcome there. They really want to know their customers and help as much as they could or you allow them.
    Rooms are small but I didn't mind since I spent only nights there - sleeping. Decorated with fabric they look cozy and more interesting than in other regular hotels. But I should say that fabric in general is not a very good idea in terms of cleaning the walls. Otherwise the room was very clean at all times.
    Bathroom was small.
    Nice view from the large window onto the theater and the square which could uplift our mood every evening.
    Breakfast was very good. I missed italian breakfast for a long time after I returned home.
    There is an internet point right under the hotel which is on a second floor. It was convenient, but one evening I stopped by to call my parents and found out that it is closed because there was an important football game showing on tv, so the owner went to see the game.. wow, they really are serious about football as they call it in Europe:)

More about Hotel Lirico

Honeymoon in Roma

A short and safe walk from the Termini to Hotel Lirico. Very friendly staff. They speak english very well. Small but very clean rooms. I actually liked the breakfast very much. Very safe area. You can walk to just about anywhere in Rome within 30 minutes including the Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps and a bit further to the Vatican. Do yourself a big favor and bring very comfortable shoes as you'll be walking for hours and hours. The best dinner around is across the street and up a few blocks on the corner. It's called the Ristorante Allesio. Great service and delicious food. You must order the house red wine. It can be consumed by the gallon for very little money.

Roma was just the beginning of a 10 day honeymoon. We stayed 2 nights at Hotel Lirico then made our way down south by train then bus to the Amalfi Coast. The Coast is amazingly beautiful and very relaxing. If you can make your way to Praiano you'll be glad you did. Stunning views and low prices due to the fact that it's not a tourist spot. Great people and great local foods and wine. Check out the Bar Del Sole right across from the Piazza San Genarro.

After our stay in Southern Italy we were back in Rome for our last night. When we got to the Hotel Lirico they told us that our room has some plumbing issues and called the Hotel Dorica around the corner to accomodate us. A 3 minute walk away to the Hotel Dorica we actually found a much larger room at no cost to us! Both great hotels close to the Termini. Go to Italy!! The best trip to Europe ever.

Does not honour Travelocity confirmed rates

by TripAdvisor Member wfejk3

I booked this hotel via Travelocity.com at E145 per night.
Upon arrival at the hotel with two elderly parents, the staff informed me that they would not honour the reservation rate. They proceeded to quote E350 per night. Staff were uncooperative and difficult.
We thus were left trying to find another hotel at 23h00 in Rome and paid E400 per night.
Be forwarned!

Very nice visit

by TripAdvisor Member pablo1neum

Arrived Friday, Sep. 24 and departed Tues. Sep. 28, 2004 (Rome is great). The entrance to the hotel is a long staircase that is a bit daunting, with one small elevator up to the rooms. The staff had my travelocity reservation ready and honored the quoted rate. The room was European sized (small) with a tiled floor, and fabric wall covering. The furnishings were nice. Bathroom was also small. The floors were clean (no dust under the bed), the linens were all fresh, and the bathroom towels were fine (none were threadbare). The room's window sealed nicely and kept out the street noise. Overall, a nice 3-star room. The staff was friendly, helpful, and courteous. We had an early morning flight to Munich, so we had to catch the 5:52AM train from Termini. The clerk prepared us a breakfast at 5AM so we'd have something to eat before our flight.

Small quiet rooms and a good value

Great location! The rooms are very small but clean. We were on the Opera House side of the hotel and we very pleased at how sound proof the room was. Cobble stone streets and scooter parking made a lot of noise outside but inside the room was very quite with the window closed.

The breakfast were good and the staff was very pleasant. Glad we stayed on the first floor since no elevator exists in the hotel. Do not expect fancy but you will find the rooms to be a good value considering the hotel prices in Rome.

Completely Satisfied

This was our first trip to Italy and we selected the Lirico utilizing Trip Advisor. We stayed here for three nights upon arrival and then one night prior departure. First, the good points: This is a great location (can walk with your bags from the Termini) and it is one block removed from the traffic and noise. We never utilized a cab or subway and were easily able to walk to every attraction. The rooms are very quiet and the windows completely seal out the traffic and noise and the a/c works great! We slept until 10:00 am with no problem. The breakfast is good and the staff was very friendly and helpful. (The desk clerk the last day was not nearly as friendly or helpful). The negatives: You must climb a flight of stairs from the street to the lobby. The first three days we had a much more spacious room than expected and we were very pleased (had a tub/ shower and sofa - #307). The second stay we had a very small room, but the room size was not really the problem, it is the bathroom size. No tub and I swear the shower was smaller than one in a travel camper. All in all, we were very pleased and if we return, we will definitely stay here again. We had no problems with them honoring rates or any special request that we presented.

Lovely Hotel

We picked this hotel based on trip advisor reviews and as usual, were not disappointed. I am a pretty *** person when it comes to hotels and was worried about my 1st european hotel experience, but this was a great place. As said in previous reviews, it is a terrific location - we did walk w/ our bags from Termini, and walked nearly everywhere else (Trevi, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Forum), but took a bus back from Piazza Navona b/c we were tired. We also took the metro to the Vatican - public transport was so easy. Word of advice - get to the Vatican EARLY - like before 8:30 - you will have to wait on line until the museum opens, but once it does, you'll breeze in. We got there at 8:30, and were in by 9:05. People who got there about 20 minutes after us - let's say the line was 2 blocks! As for the lirico hotel - the room and bathroom were much larger than expected - but based on the other reviews, I suspect some rooms are quite small and we just got lucky. Still, the decor is very nice, the beds comfy and rooms very clean. Breakfast was more than adequate but still continental. The neighborhood was very safe - one night we went out to eat at 11:30 pm at a cafe down the street and felt completely safe. The staff was pretty nice, and accommodating - the morning we went to the vatican, they accomodated us for breakfast at 7 rather than their normal 7:30, which was very nice. All in all, a great value (you might find cheaper hotels in rome, but probably not a better value for the money). By the way, Rome was absolutely fabulous - soak in everything!

Avoid--too many problems here!

by TripAdvisor Member deanam

We’re just back from our 10th trip to/including Rome. We stayed for a total of six nights at the Lirico, three at the beginning of our trip and three at the end. Beware! I wish I had been able to read the 9/24 review from the Montreal people as I might have had second thoughts.

I’m not sure who’s in charge at this hotel, but there are several men in ties behind the desk who seem to know everything that is going on. There’s a strange inconsistency in the operation of this hotel, one that borders on deception. Our experiences have been negative and we cannot recommend the Lirico; in fact, we would suggest avoiding it. Most aspects of service were positive: plenty of help in the breakfast room, rooms adequately cleaned daily, someone always on the desk, assistance with luggage available, etc. We had booked our six nights one month in advance.

Our first room (211) was acceptable: it had a couch, a table with two chairs, even a bidet and a tub/shower combination in the small bathroom. The mattress was probably the hardest we have ever experienced. The small tv was positioned high in the corner of the room, making it difficult to view, but we weren’t there for the tv. The main lighting, supplied by four small high-intensity lights in the high ceiling, was poor, and the room initially seemed dark and dingy; opening the outside window shutters helped during the daytime. The night latch didn’t work.

When we returned a week later, we were given a claustrophobic room (215) which seemed to be about half the size of 211, with an extremely unpleasant odor, no couch, no table, only two small ceiling lights and two very dim bedside lights, one random chair, no tub and not even a bidet in the tiny bathroom that had a very loud fan, a broken toilet seat, and bottom of the towel rack was for my wife a difficult-to-reach 6½ feet high. Opening the window helped clear the odor but didn’t eliminate it. The one improvement over room 211 was that the beds were more comfortable. We complained that this room was far from the quality of the room we had previously. The response was that there was nothing that could be done because they were fully booked. When I asked if the price of this room was the same as the one we had previously, the response was a resounding and arrogant, “Absolutely!” Ouch! The next morning we discovered the cause of the odor as we were doused with water when we exited the room—the individual in-wall air conditioner above the door was not draining and was leaking its stagnant water into the wall/door frame. There was probably plenty of mold in the cloth wall coverings contributing to the odor and unsanitary conditions. BTW, there seem to be two add-on rooms at the Lirico—215 and 216: neither is listed on the hallway room number signs and neither one has a box at the front desk. The room did not have the required informational door posting (price, exits, checkout time, etc.)

Additional notes: If one arrives by the express train from Leonardo da Vinci, the hotel is a rather long walk from the Termini since that train arrives/departs from an area (southeast part of terminal) far from the main part of the station; a taxi is about 6 euros plus 1 euro per bag. Breakfast is rather mediocre: coffee was served lukewarm unless we asked for it hot and the two juices were like Kool Aid; there were yogurts, some fresh fruits, two cereals, and packaged meat and cheese items in addition to rolls, butter, preserves, etc. The staff failed initially to give us a telephone message when we returned from an outing. For two mornings, we asked for wake-up calls: the first one came about 15 minutes late and the second one never came. Twice we asked for bus information: once it was right-on and the other time it was wrong. One should keep in mind that there are 24 steps from ground level to the hotel lobby, although there is an elevator (after five more steps up) to the 2nd and 3rd floors. Both rooms had annoying steps down into the room and up unto the bathroom; coming out of the bathroom and given the poor lighting, we often tripped/fell into the room. The neighborhood is a relatively good one with many restaurants (try La Toscanella on via Modena if you are in the area) and a supermarket on the corner of Viminale and Napoli. We paid cash for the rooms at the Lirico as previously agreed to; when I mentioned this to a hotelier in Sorrento, she said these people were probably evading taxes. You decide!

Terrible Noise Insulation

I can not recommend the hotel despite its great location. I was allocated a room which was situated next to the lift. You could hear the humming sound of the lift operating as you lay in bed, which is not very good for your sleep. Access to all rooms are only available via the single lift in the hotel so you can imagine how noisy it got.

I cannot believe the Hotel can rent out such a room and expect to charge their full rates. I complained and tried to get another room but I only got an empty promise of doing their best to reallocate me. I did not get any feedback or response since the initial complain which lead me to believe the staff did not really care about their customer's plight.

hotel info

by mittu

hi guys,
can anyone tell me anything about hotel Lirico in rome. we are planning to stay there during our visit.just wanted to know how far is it from the Termini station and is it really good for a night(economic). can u suggest a better hotel if there is any close to the station. thanks .bye.

Re: hotel info

by nightpassage

The hotel is in front of the Opera House and at walking distance from Termini Station. It is in a goos position and very safe because on that same street (Via del Viminale) there is the Minister of the Interior and there are always a lot of cops. I cant tell you anything abut prices but you can check their website

Comments