Hotel Locarno

Poor Value

Costs More and Rated Lower than similar hotels

See Hotels with Lower Price
GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Hotel Locarno- great location, lousy room

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 27, 2013

I selected the Hotel Locarno for a few reasons, the location by Piazza del Populo seemed pretty good, the price seemed reasonable for Rome and all that I was able to find out seemed acceptable.

The hotel has apparently been open for a very long time and had a good reputation. Welcome was nice and check in was smooth. I had booked a single room, and these were in the older building, the newer wing apparently has much nicer accommodations.

The room was small, no big deal, I knew to expect that hotel rooms in Rome would be small. The furniture appeared worn, not ripped up or anything like that, but worn and in need of refurbishment/replacement. Closets were not acceptable. Bathroom was very small and fittings were very worn. Bed was not comfortable and the room was quite hot (this was autumn by the way).

Breakfast was served in a common room and was quite good from my notes.

I explained to the staff that the room was not acceptable and they said they were fully booked and didn't have any other rooms, so there would be no problem if i wanted to stay at a different hotel. So i ended up staying one night.

The single rooms are in the older building. From what I understand and have read the newer building is much nicer. Also please bear in mind that my last stay was a few years ago, things might be different now.

Directions: by Piazza del Populo

cjg1's Profile Photo

Old World Style and Luxury

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 17, 2009

The Hotel Locarno is a beautiful old world style hotel within walking distance of Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish steps. The Hotel has a beautiful old world charm that is reflected in the marble stairs, antique furnishings, old world accents, beautiful garden, rooftop terrace, intimate bar and the metal cage old world elevator.

Upon checking in we were greeted warmly at the front desk. Check in was rather quick and our bags were taken imediately to our room as we followed in the elevator (the elevator was too small for all of us). Our room was simple yet elegant. The wooden bed had beautiful red and gold bedding that matched the chairs in the room. The armoir was quite large with a mirrored front. The bathroom was small but clean and adequate. We had a small terrace that looked out into the front of the hotel. The bed was not my favorite but the overall charm and decor of the room made up for it.

We enjoyed our morning breakfasts on the rooftop terace which consisted of fruits, breads, cheeses and meats served buffet style. The view from the rooftop was beautiful and we loved sitting in the early morning sun. Our afternon normally involved a visit to the beautiful bar where Massimo provided some iced teas and the occasional glass of wine.

Our stay here was wonderful. We were in a perfect location for exploring Rome on foot or via the metro. The staff here was friendly and we felt very welcome.

Unique Quality: I really liked the old fashioned bar with it's comfortable cushioned booths and seats. It was a nice place to relax before getting ready for dinner. The breakfast was also a highlight. I liked that they gave a more traditional breakfast instead or trying to cater to the tourist that come to visit Rome in the summer months.

Avoid

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 30, 2007

Booked my parents for a two night stay. One day before their scheduled stay an important family matter came up and my parents wanted to cut their trip short and return early so I contacted the hotel (on a Friday) and asked if my parents could cancel and what the penalty would be. I was told they would have to ask the manager on Monday (the day my parents were scheduled to leave). Then without informing anyone they went ahead and cancelled my parents reservation! My parents had to stay in an inferior room with uncomfortable beds. Beware! This place will be quick to take your money but the customer service is horrible.

Unique Quality: It's very expenive, but horrible customer service is included free!

MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

A Jewel in Rome

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 24, 2004

We stayed in a deluxe room which is in a separate building from the main hotel (across the courtyard).

The breakfast was full service and was a great way to start the day touring Rome. Salami and Prosciutto with Hard Boiled eggs really get the body going!

The Front desk was quick with the Taxi calls and there are several nice restaurants within walking distance.

Unique Quality: The room was huge, air conditioned and was loaded with charm. The door to the bathroom was almost hidden with only the knob and a slight cutout distinguishing it from the walls.

The hotel was built in 1925 and you can still see some of the old world in the building. Heavy curtains and plush furniture along with high ceilings separate the Locarno from your standard Hotel.

Directions: Near Piazza Del Popolo and the Spanish Steps.

lorit's Profile Photo

Hotel Locarno, great value

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 15, 2004

What a great hotel for the price. We paid $190 euros a night for a very centrally located, near the piazza pappolo, walking distance to EVERYTHING! Small rooms, but that is expected, clean and nicely decorated. Ask for inside room, less noise. Lovely staff, very helpful and courteous. Great breakfast, full wait staff, eggs, bacon etc!
Would highly recommend this hotel!
Very good communications via email at info@hotellocarno.com

Unique Quality: Great views from the rooftop terrace, nice bar area. Fantastic breakfast!

Directions: Piazza del Popollo, near Via Corso

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews