Hotel Locarno

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 36% more and rated 12% lower than other 3 star hotels

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Hotel Locarno- great location, lousy room

I selected the Hotel Locarno for a few reasons, the location by Piazza del Populo seemed pretty good, the price seemed reasonable for Rome and all that I was able to find out seemed acceptable.

The hotel has apparently been open for a very long time and had a good reputation. Welcome was nice and check in was smooth. I had booked a single room, and these were in the older building, the newer wing apparently has much nicer accommodations.

The room was small, no big deal, I knew to expect that hotel rooms in Rome would be small. The furniture appeared worn, not ripped up or anything like that, but worn and in need of refurbishment/replacement. Closets were not acceptable. Bathroom was very small and fittings were very worn. Bed was not comfortable and the room was quite hot (this was autumn by the way).

Breakfast was served in a common room and was quite good from my notes.

I explained to the staff that the room was not acceptable and they said they were fully booked and didn't have any other rooms, so there would be no problem if i wanted to stay at a different hotel. So i ended up staying one night.

The single rooms are in the older building. From what I understand and have read the newer building is much nicer. Also please bear in mind that my last stay was a few years ago, things might be different now.

Directions: by Piazza del Populo

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Old World Style and Luxury

The Hotel Locarno is a beautiful old world style hotel within walking distance of Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish steps. The Hotel has a beautiful old world charm that is reflected in the marble stairs, antique furnishings, old world accents, beautiful garden, rooftop terrace, intimate bar and the metal cage old world elevator.

Upon checking in we were greeted warmly at the front desk. Check in was rather quick and our bags were taken imediately to our room as we followed in the elevator (the elevator was too small for all of us). Our room was simple yet elegant. The wooden bed had beautiful red and gold bedding that matched the chairs in the room. The armoir was quite large with a mirrored front. The bathroom was small but clean and adequate. We had a small terrace that looked out into the front of the hotel. The bed was not my favorite but the overall charm and decor of the room made up for it.

We enjoyed our morning breakfasts on the rooftop terace which consisted of fruits, breads, cheeses and meats served buffet style. The view from the rooftop was beautiful and we loved sitting in the early morning sun. Our afternon normally involved a visit to the beautiful bar where Massimo provided some iced teas and the occasional glass of wine.

Our stay here was wonderful. We were in a perfect location for exploring Rome on foot or via the metro. The staff here was friendly and we felt very welcome.

Unique Quality: I really liked the old fashioned bar with it's comfortable cushioned booths and seats. It was a nice place to relax before getting ready for dinner. The breakfast was also a highlight. I liked that they gave a more traditional breakfast instead or trying to cater to the tourist that come to visit Rome in the summer months.

• Avoid

Booked my parents for a two night stay. One day before their scheduled stay an important family matter came up and my parents wanted to cut their trip short and return early so I contacted the hotel (on a Friday) and asked if my parents could cancel and what the penalty would be. I was told they would have to ask the manager on Monday (the day my parents were scheduled to leave). Then without informing anyone they went ahead and cancelled my parents reservation! My parents had to stay in an inferior room with uncomfortable beds. Beware! This place will be quick to take your money but the customer service is horrible.

Unique Quality: It's very expenive, but horrible customer service is included free!

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

A Jewel in Rome

We stayed in a deluxe room which is in a separate building from the main hotel (across the courtyard).

The breakfast was full service and was a great way to start the day touring Rome. Salami and Prosciutto with Hard Boiled eggs really get the body going!

The Front desk was quick with the Taxi calls and there are several nice restaurants within walking distance.

Unique Quality: The room was huge, air conditioned and was loaded with charm. The door to the bathroom was almost hidden with only the knob and a slight cutout distinguishing it from the walls.

The hotel was built in 1925 and you can still see some of the old world in the building. Heavy curtains and plush furniture along with high ceilings separate the Locarno from your standard Hotel.

Directions: Near Piazza Del Popolo and the Spanish Steps.

• lorit's Profile Photo

Hotel Locarno, great value

What a great hotel for the price. We paid $190 euros a night for a very centrally located, near the piazza pappolo, walking distance to EVERYTHING! Small rooms, but that is expected, clean and nicely decorated. Ask for inside room, less noise. Lovely staff, very helpful and courteous. Great breakfast, full wait staff, eggs, bacon etc!
    Would highly recommend this hotel!
    Very good communications via email at info@hotellocarno.com

Unique Quality: Great views from the rooftop terrace, nice bar area. Fantastic breakfast!

Directions: Piazza del Popollo, near Via Corso

More about Hotel Locarno

Roman Treasure

by TripAdvisor Member CamilleNewYorkCity

This treasure of a hotel is right near the Pza del Popolo but is on a quite street in a residential neighborhood. The hotel is very clean and the staff is is very attentive. I especially appreciated the breakfast that was provided. The food was delicious and it was beautifully presented.

The front desk was especially helpful and gave us accurate information. When in Rome, stay with Hotel Locarno.

everything you could want for the money

by TripAdvisor Member USAinNaples

My sister and I stayed at the Hotel Locarno for 4 nights and were very happy. We were booked into the Annex for 150 Euro/night. The first room we were given was on the 1st floor and had only a small tub. We asked to be moved to a different room and were accommodated the next day. We were given a room on the 4th floor with a shower. We were very happy as the room was more than large enough for two adults. I cannot say enough about the location. The area is absolutely wonderful - walking distance to all the major sites and many restaurants and bars in the area. My sister and I walked home every night after a long meal and always felt safe. I would recommend it to anyone.

Book with caution

We booked Hotel Locarno after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor and the glowing report in Hip Hotels.

The location is good as it's not far from Piazza del Popolo, so everything is right on Locarno's doorstep.

However, walking into the Hotel itself is like walking on to a 1920s film set. Although the bar area has some lovely original features, it is old and fusty and seemed cold and lacking in atmosphere. Thankfully this is redeemed by the pretty courtyard which is located off the bar itself.

We had booked a superior double room and we realised when we were shown into it that this was the dreaded room, referred to in a Trip Advisor's review, with a shower which was too small even to shave one's legs in! Though, we were cheerfully advised, it was on the quiet side of the Hotel.

After a brief time deliberating, we asked to be moved and we were re-located to a much larger room with a much better bathroom. It still did not live up to our expectations however, and out of the three hotels we have stayed at in Rome it ranks firmly well below the other two.

On the up side the staff were reasonably friendly.

This Hotel is to be recommended to those travellers who have a fondness for bygone times and faded art deco interiors - otherwise be warned.

Recommended strongly

by TripAdvisor Member alteredego

Our family (including 11/16 year old girls) stayed here for 3 nights in July 2004. This is a nice hotel with no major flaws at a very reasonable price for Central Rome. The location is convenient to major sites in Rome by foot, and is reasonably close to a metro stop. We had two rooms in the original hotel, *not* the new annex...and we were very pleased with both of them. Both rooms had A/C and were clean and quiet.

The breakfast was excellent.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Most travelers will be very comfortable here. Very helpful staff made us feel welcome and right at home.

Take advice with caution...

Um, make sure you consider the source when reading reviews. Some folks are a bit stuffy, boorish, and think they are above it all to say the least. The Locarno is a fabulous hotel, full of charm with a great staff. Highly recommend.

Everything but the......

by TripAdvisor Member RowallanRd

We paid €310 per night so expected top dollar. Apart from the lack of a shower curtain we certainly got it. From the eclectic cd collection to the superb breakfast it was great. We did not discover the roof-top garden restaurant ;-) but the courtyard one was great. Location was excellent. Avoid the pizza restaurant when you turn left for 50 yds out the front door - on a first night it was rubbish. Free and fast internet access made this the perfect base and the piece de resistance - the free bicycles - worth at least €50 per day. Forget sore feet; forget long days; forget arguements - get on your bike and ride. This was SUPERB. If only I could have showered !!

ROME: hotels to choose

by tere1

Hi

I am going to Rome next month and don't know in which hotel to stay.
I am divided between the Hotel Locarno in Piazza del Poppolo , and Albergo del Senato in front of the Pantheon.
Does anyone know any of these hotels and can give me advice?

Many thanks in advance

Teresa

Re: ROME: hotels to choose

by zuriga

I don't know those, but I really like La Residenza. I'm not sure of their current rates, but it's a lovely place and very convenient to everything.

Re: Re: ROME: hotels to choose

by tere1

I'm going to check the Residenza

Comments