More about Hotel Madrid
Great Rome Hotel!!!!
After 3 weeks traveling throughout Italy and staying in many hotels, it was a pleasure to check into the comfortable Madrid Hotel. We had a suite - two rooms, one with a king and one with twin beds. The bathroom was spacious and shower generous in size by Italian standards. Though this hotel is rated 3 stars, it could be rated higher based on the bathroom amenities, stocked refrigerator and lovely breakfast. Breakfast, served on the roof garden, had many choices, including scrambled and hard-boiled eggs! It is obvious this hotel caters to Americans. The location is also perfect if you want to be within walking distance of most of the sites in the center of Rome. The staff was wonderful and very helpful. We also appreciated that we could use our laptop since the hotel had Wi-fi. All in all a great experience-would definitely stay here again!
Hidden Gem in Rome
My sister and I stayed at the Hotel Madrid in July. This was the best hotel in Rome! The rooms are big, staff are extremely friendly, great location and excellent breakfasts. If we ever return to Rome we will definately stay at this hotel again.
nice hotel in the middle of tourist rome
We stayed at the Hotel Madrid for 4 nights in July. Our room had a nice large bed for us and a twin bed for our son. There was no view from our window (room 101) but it was quiet. The bathroom was large and sparkling clean. The air conditioning worked very well, which was really important as it was about 100 degrees during the day. The hotel is located near the Spagna metro stop making the St. Peter's and the Vatican 2 air conditioned stops away.
The breakfast (included in the 180 Euro price) was very generous and is served on the roof with a nice view of St. Peter's in the distance.
Alfredo, the evening receptionist, was funny and helpful. All in all I would recommend this hotel for it's convenient location to many typical tourist destinations (Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon), good a/c and nice breakfast.
great for our family
we had a family suite, bedroom with large bed and rollaway, living room had two beds, bathroom was large ,room was big enough for two adults, 3 kids,17,15,12, breakfast was in the beautiful rooftop garden, cappucino wonderful. ALBERT WHO WORKED THE AFTERNOOON SHIFT WAS GREAT, HOTEL NEEDS TO GET BIGGER ICE MAKER, location was the best, we would definitely stay here again
We just returned from our 10 day trip to Italy and we stayed at the Hotel Madrid in Rome for our last two nights. We would definitely NOT recommend this hotel.
1. Generally the room did not seem that clean. At first, the bathroom seemed ok but I found a pubic hair on the hand towel. GROSS!
2. The breakfast was terrible: the scrambled eggs were cold because they were sitting at room temperature (food safety issue) , the espresso was bitter and the worst we had ever tasted (undrinkable), there was very little selection of food, only a few icing covered croissants and cookies. It was the worst breakfast we have ever seen. We have been to many hotels in Italy and around the world.
The yogurt was also left out at room temperature, but luckily the waiter heard me complain and brought out cold yogurt. All I ate was 1 yogurt and my husband did not eat anything.
3. Hotel Front Desk Person (Tunisian man) was a crook! Other people have complained about reserving a taxi to the airport with this hotel. We experienced the same problem. It was not a language issue because I speak fluent Italian. He told us that the cost would be 45 to 50 Euros or more because taxi drivers are bandits. He claimed that in his 12 years of experience that taxi drivers do not honour the community of Rome regulated flat rate of 40 Euros. He even told us about a couple who was charged 80 Euros to go from the airport to their Hotel. There was alot of fear mongering by the front desk. He offered to help us out by offering their limosine service ( a mercedes) at a flat rate of 50 euros. I thought this was quite funny: why would we want to order limosine service if we are staying a such a low standard hotel such as the Hotel Madrid. He wanted us to know that the reality is that there are no fixed rates to FCO airport. We even showed him a printout of the Rome tourism taxi regualtions that supported the 40 euro fixed rate, but he did not change his story. You can see it here at:
I must give this man credit - he carried on a very convincing arguement. I was almost fooled and felt some pressure since it was the night before our departure. Later that night, we spoke to several different taxis on the street around the corner from the hotel and they all told us that there was a fixed rate - no dispute or hestitations. One taxi man was very helpful giving us the phone #'s of several taxi companies to call and revserve a taxi. The only bandito here was the front desk person at the hotel. The taxi guy agreed with us. BTW, The phone #s are clearly marked on the taxi cars. In a foreign country, I want my hotel to look after our interests and clearly this hotel does not.
4. Rooms are noisy. Outside noise from the street and inside the halls from people traffic. A/C was quiet at low speed but did not coll enough. High speed was very loud. We used ear plugs to get through the nights. There is also a bar a few doors down with loud music.
5. Beds were hard but this is typical of many EU hotels. Not a big negative.
6. Again, not a big one but the room was not ready for us when we arrived at 3:30 pm.
1. low price - but still too high for what you get.
2. close to piazza di spagna and other attractions are a short walk away.
3 rooms are a decent size.
4. terrace breakfast area looks nice - but unfortunately, there is no food or espresso to enjoy there!
Overall, we could not wait to leave.
We stayed at Best Western Canada a year ago and it is a much better hotel - clean, good breakfast, very quiet, around the corner from a red metro stop and a great slab pizza joint with cheap water.
We made the mistake of selecting this hotel even after reading the many positive reviews on this hotel. I hope you do not make the same mistake. I have no idea how this hotel got rated so high. We have stayed at many hotels and this is not a good one. The few bad reviews on this hotel are closer to the truth.
The best location and Hotel in my trip in Rome !!!
Hotel Madrid ,It was even better than we had hoped. The staff was terrific ,friendly, helpful, took care of our luggage and even gave us city maps and tour information of Rome .Breakfast on the roof terrace with an incredible view of the city rooftops was lovely, sureas good as any in a 5 star hotel .Much more than a continental breakfast was offered - several types of meats, breads and pastries, hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, cereals, juices, fresh fruits, Italian cake ,great Italian espresso ,American coffee and the best cappuccino !!!
Free internet wi-fi in the reception !!!
Our room was perfect. . Superior Suite for 5 people ( have been recently renovated ) was large and very adequate for our family of five , and the bathroom was large, very clean and modern.Most important however was the incredible location,sure the best in Rome , This Hotel is situated in Via Mario de Fiori (The Spanish Steps area )
Hotel Madrid was exactly what we were looking for - a charming hotel located on a quiet street but within walking distance to the best famous shopping boutiques( Via Condotti , Via del Corso, Via Frattina..) ,restaurants and historical sites such as the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps ( Just 1 minute walks !!! ) ,The Phanteon , the Colosseum and the Forum!!!The hotel was so beautiful and convienent that I dont think i would want to stay anywhere else when visiting Rome, Yes,We'll definitely stay at Hotel Madrid again and would recommend it to family and friends.
Perfect for families
We wanted a family room for 4 (kids 10 and 13) in the centre of Rome and picked this hotel based on the reviews and photos. It turned out to be just what we needed. Suite 406 has a twin room, a double room and bathroom. The double room is spacious with a queen-sized bed and the only thing lacking is adequate storage space for clothes etc. The bathroom is small but very clean and well-equipped.
The kids loved the buffet breakfast - but the scrambled eggs were not kept hot (if that is your preference!). We found the staff very helpful and professional.
I hadn't read any reviews mentioning the nightclub a few doors down! The clubbers leaving kept us awake on our first night, but we made sure to secure the windows from then on and used the air-conditioning and we had no further problems.
We had booked a transfer to the hotel from Da Vinci airport, through the hotel and were transported in a stylish people carrier for 75 euro. We booked a car (we had a small amount of luggage) when going home and it was a stress-free arrangement for 50 euro.
Overall very happy with the hotel service and its great location!
Perfect location within walking distance of the Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and other sights. Friendly staff, clean room for a family of four and a nice breakfast to boot! We enjoyed our stay even though the converter fried my flat iron!
We loved the Madrid!
We just returned from our family trip to Italy. Our first stop was Rome at the Hotel Madrid for 4 days.
We were immediately greeted & welcomed by the gentleman at the front desk named Antonio. He spoke both english & italian which was very helpful and he always had a smile on his face. Through out our stay, there was always someone at the front desk, 24 hours a day. The other gentlemen were always so kind & helpful as well. We really appreciated how comfortable they all made us feel. Every one always had a smile on their face and seemed eager to please. Breakfast on the roof top was wonderful! The young lady that was there every morning greeted us with a smile as she momentarily asked for our morning beverage preference. All 5 of us felt very well taken care.
This hotel was adorable. It was quaint, very clean and in an absolutely perfect location! We would definitely stay there again in the future!
Perfect location, lovely staff
Hotel Madrid is at a perfect location, in a narrow street at the center of the old city, very close to Spanish Steps.
Rooms are quite spacious and clean, considering the very central location.
Breakfast is served at the roof garden, with a very nice city view. The braekfast buffet is very nice, and I would especially recommend you to drink cappucino, which they are perfect in...
The staff is very lovely and helpful, that makes the atmosphere much warmer.