Hotel Meeting

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 46% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• EuroJ's Profile Photo

Not bad for the price

Ok so I flew here from Dusseldorf along with the wifey. We had to stop in Milan & then our flight had been delayed. We made it here finally at about 2300 or 11 pm. We had our hotel reservation printout from cheaptickets.com. The older gentleman at the front desk "who spoke little English" tried to convince me and my wife that we were mistaken and didnt have the right hotel. Despite having the hotel printout in our hand and he even looked it over. We had been traveling for roughly 10 hours when adding up delays and change of planes. Then to finally get to the hotel and hear what this man was trying to tell us. You could imagine my discontent at this point. So after going back and forth with this guy for roughly 45 mins to a hour a younger gentleman appreared. He must have been the boss or something like that because he was able to find our reservation thru the Orbitz database. So let that be a lesson to anyone traveling to this hotel...Make your reservation thru Orbitz if you do not want any kind of headaches. So to end the story the manager upgraded our room and gave us free internet for the duration of our stay & we were fine with that.

More about Rome

Roma PassRoma Pass

The great dome of the basillicaThe great dome of the basillica

The row of PopesThe row of Popes

Vittoriano - Altare Della PatriaVittoriano - Altare Della Patria

Late Night Transportation

by alwaysblendsin

Do the buses/trains run all night or late in Rome? my friend and i have a habit of staying out extremely late and living up the night and will need a way back to our apartment on late nights.....im assuming taxi's will always be availiable. how much is a taxi around the city? Am i underestimating the size of rome? we are staying in a residential neighborhood outside of the center, on the other side of the Tiber River. we dont mind walking, but dont want to have to walk an hour at 5am ;-)

thank you all so much for reading my questions and responding, this is my first trip alone (without my mom) and i want to avoid as many catastrophes as possible ;-)

by leics

Not all buses run all night, nor the Metro.

You can explore the public transport system in English here;

There are night buses, and 'normal' service will start around 6am anyway.

Taxi rates will vary according to distance, and will be more expensive at night. They are not a cheap form of transport in Rome.

If you want to avoid 'catastrophes' can I suggest that you properly get the hang of Rome, and its transport, before you plan to stay out all night? Walking back during the early hours of the morning is no more sensible in Rome than in any other large city anywhere.

by craic

the trams and buses start early so maybe you can catch the first tram home

i seem to remember hearing the first tram down Viale di Trastevere at about 5 am

seriously though - which area are you in?

taxis are available all night long - i have frequently caught them both late and early and the drivers are pretty knowledgeable and the fares are reasonable

if you don't speak good italian though - with the right accent - write your address down clearly and show it to the driver

BUT do be sure to catch a legal taxi not a cowboy one -
how can you tell the difference, well, if you get one from a street rank yu can be sure - but if you just hail one in the street - you can't be sure

i can only suggest that in the daylight and in a sober mood you inspect a legal taxi so you will recognise it

i know i could - but i just can't remember how - something written on the side - maybe it was the names of italian cities and a number - like verona 54

by alwaysblendsin

I am staying at Via Bevagna, about a 15 min bus ride from the Vatican or Piazza de Popolo.....if we took the bus to either one of these locations, we should be able just to walk to other places like Campo Di Fiori, Ancient Rome, etc....right? all of these places are pretty close to each other arent they?

by leics

Yes. the historical centre of Rome is compact and very walkable (and far better seen on foot anyway).

The Vatican is a little further out, on the opposite side of the Tiber to most of Roman Rome, so you may prefer to take bus or Metro to get there. But it is still perfectly walkable (depending on how far you like to wakl of course0.

To give you an idea, it takes around 20 minutes or so to walk from Termini railway station to the Colosseum, perhaps another 15 or so to the river, maybe another 10 or so to St Peter's (all depends on your walking speed and how long you have to wait to cross the roads).

by rkearns

rome is totally walkable! i would advise meeting a local to party with cause they will most likely know the way home. have fun! just don't walk alone.

Travel Tips for Rome

Empire Streets

by OttoMarzo

One thing you can't miss, in my opinion, in Rome, is walking on some ancient streets. The most famous and wonderful one is the "Appia Antica", but there are some more (like Tiburtina). They have been glorius for centuries, and they used to connect Rome to all places ot its Empire. I'm not saying to walk hundreds miles on them, but inside the city, in suburban areas, there are pedestrians only areas where you can walk on the for a couple miles. Close your eyes and listen to the horses' footsteps, imagine yourself with a Roman typical dress... and... DREAM!

Centurions

by shivan

Believe me. There are some people dressed like ancient centurions (the ancient Rome warriors) walking in the street.

Traffic was completely blocked. Somewhere supporters built a stage for an improvised concert, in the middle of a road.

Spring shows her colors in Rome

by icunme

Villa Borghese is my very favorite hideaway in Rome - there are countless littles coves, niches, and pathways to be discovered. Here are a few photos of spring blooming in the park. We just posted a travelogue on Villa Borghese and really need a second one - could never give it all the space it deserves.

Terravision bus to/ from Ciampino

by leics

It's worth using the Terravision bus to and from Ciampino airport, especially if it's your first time in Rome. Their stand is in the arrivals hall and the timetable fits with the Ryanair flights. They drop you off and collect you near to Termini station, which is convenient for everywhere in Rome. I prefer to book my ticket online via the Ryanair website, but you can buy tickets on arrival (online bookings have priority). The bus waits for everyone to clear arrivals before it leaves, which is reassuring. The return journey arrives in good time for check-in, and you get an interesting trip through the Roman suburbs on the way.

another place for excellent pasta

by marielexoteria about Trattoria Pizzeria Grotta d'Abruzzo

While walking around and looking for a place to eat, a man approached us and asked us if we would like to eat "typical Italian food with normal prices", and since we were walking that way anyway, we decided to follow him to his trattoria. I must admit that I was wary because I don't like being hustled but I entered the place with an open mind - and I'm glad I did.

This small trattoria doesn't really get any traffic, so I understand that someone has to go to a bigger street to attract clients. The environment isn't for those looking for luxury, but I found it cozy and the staff was very friendly. When we came in there were 3 other tables with people already eating and it seemed like we were the only tourists inside, but when we got out there were more people enjoying themselves. The food was great and it had indeed normal prices: I had a pasta pomodoro and Mr. Sweden had beef steak with roasted potatoes and salad, plus 2 beers and a bread basket (no charge) made a total of 22€. This is a place I would come back if I visit Rome again.

Comments