Via Firenze, 38 , Rome, 00184, Italy

Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

• jag17's Profile Photo

Nice Place

We selected the Hotel Oceania for it's convenient location near the train station. Although, 500 meters isn't that convenient when lugging a ton of luggage. Anyway, we survived. Nice room, quiet, with a (just okay) buffet breakfast. It was actually a coffee, and a bunch of sweets. I wouldn't really call it a breakfast. The room was clean, and comfortable.

Unique Quality: The building was a 19th century palace

More about Hotel Oceania

Clean & Efficient

My son & I stayed at the Oceania for five days in the middle of March. We had a room with twin beds, overlooking the street.

Physically, our room was fine, except for a leaky shower which we remedied by putting the hand towels on the floor. The bathroom had all the necessities, including soap & shampoo, but no kleenex - so bring your own box. The towels were large & flat but worked just as well as the fluffy kind, and we got new ones every day.

There was a single upright chair and desk in the room - no place to sit & be comfortable except on the beds. There was a television but we did not watch any of it so I can't tell you what was on it - but in retrospect we should have spent a half hour channel surfing just to see what the Romans watch. Plenty of wardrobe & drawer space for two (although my teenage son just used the floor & the maid did not accept that challenge!) The room had a small programable safe which let us leave valuables in the room - money & small electronics like the ipod I told my son he wouldn't need.

You only get one key for the room, which has to be inserted into a wall socket to make the electricity work. This is a little inconvenient for two people, but the desk help was always available & it just takes a second for him or her to open the door for you.

The lounge is comfortable, & there are several shelves of miscellaneous books to read. The papers are a day or two out of date, but hey, you are on vacation! The dining area is clean and on the upscale side, with a waitress. The breakfast includes hot chocolate, cappucino, coffee, juice, bread, several varieties of cakes - lots of carbs. Do not eat a lot - try to do things the Italian way with a light breakfast, and a nice meal at lunch around 1 pm, and supper around 8 pm.

When you come in after nine at night, you have to be buzzed into the building. The elevator will hold three people, four if you know each other, or two people & a couple of suitcases - an odd contraption. You will find yourself riding up but walking down the spacious staircase.

The neighborhood is not picturesque. It is about three short blocks from the main train station, and transportation anywhere is easy to get. The pickpocket special number 64 bus runs right down the Via Nationale, less than five minutes away. The MacDonald's on the corner serves as a landmark if you are coming back at night. This bus is very useful in off hours, when it is not crowded and the pickpockets have gone home. We bought a 16 euro weekly pass near the train station, which has to be stamped before using the bus for the first time (big fine if you don't!) and stamped whenever using the subway. The subway is a couple of blocks away. We did not discover any convenient places to eat nearby, but a ten or fifteen minute walk will get you to one. I recommend (highly!) the spaghetti carbonara at the Taverna Flavia, Via Flavia 11.

We were charged the special Rick Steve rate of 138 euros, provided we pay in cash & show them the book. But I overheard the concierge offer the same rate to someone else over the telephone, in English, with no mention of Steve or cash. But we were at the end of the shoulder season, so it might be that the Rick Steve rate works in the prime season. The hotel phones evidently do not work with an international phone card. The guy working at night told me the hotel phone rate was "low" but could not tell me what it was. I just used a phone card at pay phones, so I didn't dig any further into what "low" really meant.

In sum, this hotel seems to be a good deal, and although the location is not superb it is certainly practical in most respects, especially if you are coming into town & leaving using the train to the airport.

I will try to post a few pictures of the hotel room in a later post.

Nice Hotel in convenient location

by TripAdvisor Member redbellies

We just returned from this hotel. We stayed 2 nights in a quad room. The linens were very nice, the bathroom tiny with a one room shower stall/bathroom layout, that was a little small (in other words, the bathroom is the shower stall!). The staff is very friendly, breakfast was fine, views were typical Rome city street, busy area.

When we arrived, it was late and we were wondering what the heck we got ourselves into with the building lobby so dark, and the caged elevator hardly room for 2 people with 2 bags (we went up in shifts!), until we got to the hotel floor! It opens up to fine gold and red colors, very pretty lobby. The whole place has an old house feel, it is a long hallway with all the rooms off the one hall. It was very well decorated, and very clean.

It is walking distance to the train station, and the metro stop (pic pocket express!). Yes, my husband was pic pocketed the minute we stepped on! Please don't be foolish, DO NOT carry anything of value in your pockets, or sew buttons into them for the trip, I thought velcro may work too! He had nothing to take but the metro card, so we were lucky there. Text book person, woman with another woman and baby......... pushing through saying "permesso" (excuse me)........ watch out and don't be foolish. Zipper/button up your valuables! They are experts!

I think I would not hesitate to use this hotel again, it was a good value, I would look at other options though. I wasn't SOLD OUT on the place. It was just nice, but that is a good thing!

Very Good, Reasonable Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Dory

My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Italy. We spent 4 great nights at the Hotel Oceania with our daughter and son-in law (separate rooms) and we all agreed that the hotel and staff were very nice. I agree with the other postings - rooms were very clean, nice firm mattresses, breakfast was good, coffee excellent and the location very convenient. All in all we would choose to stay there again. As for the stairs and the "lifts" - - when in Rome (or Florence or Siena for that matter) be prepared for stairs and tiny elevators - - that's just typical. As far as I am concerned, have Rick Steves and Trip Advisor - will travel. Thanks for all the great tips and insights.

My wife, teenage daughter and I just returned from 8 nights at the Oceania hotel in Rome. We have stayed in 4-star hotels in Europe that were not nearly as nice. Any apprehensions that I may have had about the quality of the hotel or the location were immediately erased upon our arrival. The room was spacious and bathroom spotless. I cannot say enough about how friendly and helpful the hotel owner and staff were to us. We felt very comfortable and welcome. I strongly reccomend the Oceania and look forward to staying there again the next time I am in Rome.

Best cappuccino we had in Italy!

by TripAdvisor Member kjoann

Loved this friendly, yet very professional hotel! Everyone was smiling and so attentive. The breakfast was very good--everyone received a huge warm "popover" when you sat down (one of the many thoughtful touches this hotel adds), along with the best cappucino we had in 2 weeks of travel! And a large selection of other breads and pastries. Our room was large, quiet, and comfortable. We would highly recommend this hotel --a great stay!! We spent our first 3 nights in Italy here and the staff could not have been nicer! In this price catagory it would be hard to beat!

A friendly hotel

We found the hotel to be very friendly. The staff members seemed genuinely interested that we enjoyed our vacation.

They also provided free internet access to guests, which was helpful for booking the trains and hotels for the remainder of our trip in Italy.

They also arranged for airport pick up service for 47 Euros that was very convenient after a long plane ride.

Oceania was okay

by TripAdvisor Member Californiafamily

Just returned from three nights at the Oceania. The best part was the air conditioning - worked the best out of the five hotels we stayed at during our vacation. The location is fair - military defense across the street with uniformed men with machine guns -- that was our view out the window. The staff was helpful, the room was large enough for a family of four, the breakfast consisted of a roll, juice, coffee, hot chocolate, some cheese and a couple pastries to choose from. It is close to public transportation, and is clean. Be prepared to walk up four flights of stairs, or wait a while for a lift. (we were 8 people). Be smart, wear a money belt to hold your passport, driver's license and credit cards... just keep a small amount of money in your buttoned pocket or purse. We were two families traveling on all public transportation, and had no problems at all with pickpocketing anywhere in Italy.

Really enjoyed this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LoveTravellingTLT

Very nice family run hotel. Location is good, within walking distance of Roma Termini, if you don’t take lots of bags. Stayed 9 nights (April 2005) in room #14. Apparently we were in the renovated wing. Very nice room. Bathroom very clean. Had refrigerator. Faced inner courtyard, so pretty quiet. Staff helpful and above average.

Breakfast consisted of bread and sweets (more like cake or cheesecake). Plenty of coffee, tea, juice. There were some cheeses and crackers. It was different, but definitely helped to fill up before a day of tourist activities. You will not find a place that serves breakfast. Recommend renting the room with breakfast. It is worth the extra 5 Euros.

Someone mentioned the thin towels. These are very common in Italy. They are large and they worked just fine. Typical of European hotels, there are no washcloths. I always bring a couple of old ones and then leave them before I come home.

This hotel was 138 Euros(cash) per day with breakfast in April. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Restaurants recommended:
• Ristorante Pizza Tuto: good pasta, penne, and cannelloni
• Ristorante La Fraschetta: good pizza, pasta, bruschetta, pecorino cheese; friendly, family run, located in Trastavere
• Ristorante Barocco: near Hotel Oceania; good pasta, pizza, bruschetta
• Tavola Fantasy: good salad; not far from Hotel Oceania; low cost; food to go.
• Perilli in Prati: large selection on cold buffet; was pretty good, but some items would have tasted better heated; only one trip to buffet allowed; pretty expensive

Restaurants not recommended:
• Flan O’Brien: ate pizza; not many toppings
• Cafeteria at Galleria Borghese: ate panini; just OK
• Hostaria Romana: Just OK
• Ristorante L’Archetto di Cav: Outrageouse prices --$37 for 2 bowls of minestrone and 2 glasses of wine, 2 pieces of bread

Clean room - but there were problems

The hotel was OK for a 2-Star place. The room and the bathroom were clean, always a good sign. The beds were relatively comfortable. Breakfast was typical European. The three problems we had with the place:

1. The price -- granted it was the high season, but still expensive for a 2-star hotel.

2. The person who worked nights was very very unfriendly. He seemed to deem us to be nothing but a bother -- even if we were just picking up the room key. He never smiled, and only grumbled responses. It could be he was having a bad day, but that was his demeanor for the 3 days we were at the hotel. This guy had light brown/blond hair that was close cut. The other two people who worked the front desk were very nice and friendly. The older gentleman working at breakfast is also very nice and friendly. However, seeing that you're only in your room at night, it's the person working at night that you're going to interface the most with.

3. Breakfast isn't served until 8AM. When you're going to the Vatican (need an early start to beat the crowds) or if you have to leave early for a flight, you're out of luck when it comes to breakfast.

Highly recommend Hotel Aberdeen (just a couple doors down) over Hotel Oceania.

Comments