Via della Croce, 35, Rome, 00187, Italy

Hotels.com Venere.com Booking.com

• Pedestrian Street/2 Blocks from Spanish Steps

What this place lacks in amenities it more than makes up for in location. Breakfast is extra and there are no TV's in the rooms. But it is located on a pedestrian street 2 blocks west of the Spanish Steps in the Tridente section of Rome. The local neighborhood is filled with bars, shops, trattorias, osterias, bakeries. Just about anything you need you can find there.

The room was very nicely painted (fresco style). It also had double-pane glass in the windows. This was a first for me in the four trips I've made to Europe. The street noise was almost non-existent. The staff is friendly and the room was vey clean and had plenty of storage.

Unique Quality: Just by walking 6 or 10 streets in any directions you have the best of Roma by the tail. All of the following sites are within walking distance: Villa Borghese, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona.

Directions: Tridente district. Just west of the Spanish Steps. Between Via Del Corso and Via Del Babuino.

More about Hotel Panda

Really loved this fab Hotel!!

by TripAdvisor Member dee05

Myself my mother and my sister stayed in the Hotel Panda, just last weekend. Its a fantastic location, we stayed in room 30, this room has a little stairs leading up to a little bedroom with the toilet also, high beams and shutters. A shower also, it was lovely. The only negative was the noise outside, but otherwise it was perfect.
The location was fab, full of designer stores and a very up market area. I even met Matt Dillion when we were eating our Meal in Otello Restaurant!! The price of the Hotel was excellent alwell. The Restaurant Otello , the prices are very cheap, €8 bottle of wine and pasta €7.

You would be mad not to book this Hotel! I'll be back. Tip for anyone bringing kids to The coliseum,bring ID and they'll get in for free, otherwise its €11 .

Cheers
Deirdre from Ireland

Great price and location in Rome

by TripAdvisor Member JessLM

I stayed at Hotel Panda for 5 nights in December 2005 on a trip with my brother. We were trying to keep a budget, so this was a great find. I had initially stayed at Hotel Panda with my husband in February 2004, so I knew what to expect. Pensione Panda is in a great location, right near the Spanish steps, lots of shopping for all budgets and basically in the heart of what tourists come to Rome to see. You can get around easily on foot in Rome, and the subway stop "Spagna" is nearby for trips to the Vatican, for example.
I believe we paid 63 euros/ night for a very small double room that is not much bigger than the bed. Basically if you were not standing at the foot of the bed, you had to be sitting on it. We had a shared bathroom down the hall, which was clean and not heavily used so this was not a problem. Overall the hotel was clean and the staff helpful. They gave us restaurant suggestions and called taxis for us. The one negative about the Panda was that we found a couple silverfish in the room, which is just gross. For its price and location I still think I would stay here again though.

Great Place, Great Location, Great Price...

Everything we wanted.
Walk out the door into the best Spanish Steps neighborhood. The Steps are 2 blocks away. VERY colourful area. Just great.

Our room 29 was large, nicely done with a fine bath and a charming courtyard view that was quiet except for the artful drip of the small fountain.

Staff was very helpful.

Shockingly low price in light of our prior experience in Venice and Florence.

Just be ready for no shampoo, napkin-thin towels, and no included breakfast.
Hey...for these prices, it's OK.

Also...you have to walk up two flight of stairs to the front desk...but that was no problem and the sliding "magic" door was charming.

All in all, we had a wonderful time in Rome, partly because of Hotel Panda, and partly because we rented scooters and zoomed all over the place. Great fun.

A Real Gem

A great little hotel, in a perfect location (in a restricted-traffic area surrounded by shops and restaurants, and in walking distance of Rome's main central attractions). Very reasonably priced at 150 Euros per night for 4 people.
We stayed here with our two children (15 and 11) for 6 nights in January as part of a round the world trip. This was the best place we stayed on our trip. There was no jug, no fridge, no TV, the room was small, and it was on the second floor with no lift; but those negatives were more than made up for by the decor, location, and overall value for money. We found the staff quite helpful, and we were allowed to keep our cases there after checkout until our flight.
We would definitely stay there again.

Loved it!

I was completely satisfied with this hotel. Not only did I meet great people and love the surroundings, but it was so close to everything. I got tons of shopping done, ate great food (D'Antonis, about a minute away) and saw great sites. I would recomened this hotel to ANYONE! Ciao

Horrible service

The Panda is in a great location, but be prepared for the worst service you can imagine.

We arrived after much correspondance via email only to be told we had no reservation. Our emails, which included credit card information, a confirmation from us about room, info from them about what time our room would be ready and how to get to hotel, were just conversation. Asked them to look into getting us a private tour of the Vatican, but they were no help. Were told the line was busy, and that was that.

They managed to get us a room - and for the first 2 nights we had a great room (number 30). Split 2 level - nice hardwood flooring through out and a nice bed. We faced the road, but it wasnt overly loud.

On the third morning, we woke up to a note on a door telling us we had to move rooms. We were shipped to a room in their adjacent building. Up 85 stairs to a room with shared facilites down the hall.

So all in all, great location, nice room if you can get it in the main hotel - but i dont know if it is all worth it.

Joke of a Hotel !!

I booked to stay in the Panda hotel for the weekend but when I rang to confirm the booking, the morning before, they said they had no record of it. This was despite sending an email to them to confirm my booking...with my credit card details! They said they seem to lose emails all the time and blamed their server !! They might be cheap but I wouldn't turn up without confirming by phone a few times !

Its perfect at the Panda

Location location location. This is a great hotel if you can walk around and enjoy yourself. I think it has the best location in town. It is a block from the Spanish Steps, and the other hot spots are only a brief walk (Vatican is about a 15 minute walk). We went with our kids and had a triple room, small but neat, clean normal size bathroom, no TV, but you are in Rome, you don't need a TV. The room rate was reasonable (170 Euro).
Do book their driver to pick you up from the airport and take you directly to the hotel for 45 Euro, it is cheaper then a regular taxi. They have great drivers that know how do get direcly downtown but still give you tour as you go by the sights. The staff is super friendly and speak English well. There are wonderful places to eat right next to the Panda so you are tired from walking up and down the streets of Rome, you can eat nearby.
We felt safe there, there is no safe in the room, but my children left there purses around and nothing was ever missing. One note, there is no elevator. You do have to carry your bags up and down 2 flights of stairs and to your room. This may not be the best hotel for an elderly person who can't walk around well.

Forget the Panda

by TripAdvisor Member spinach

We booked two rooms back in January, one for 5 and one for 2. We arrived to find a three person room converted to a five person room, the man at the desk said he wouldn't even stay in that room with five people. The two person room could only fit the bed, there was no room for the luggage. Needless to say we left, but it took a few hours to find a room for a family of five and a double in the same hotel on such short notice. Also note, this is in an old building up a few flights wthout a lift. When we asked for directions at the train station, the tourist information officer began looking for the hotel under one star, I informed him it was a two star now. They should have left it at one.

by annsnook

I've booked the Hotel Panda after the positive comments from you guys...however....I have sent two emails regarding distance from hotel to train station...but have had no response......as we'll be arriving Rome by train (from Florence)...how far is the Panda Hotel from the train station?...how much will a taxi cost from the train station to the Panda Hotel? (I would be most grateful if anyone could give an approximate cost just incase a taxi trries to "rip us off".)

Thanks again
Ann :)

RE: Hotel Panda

by worldinabag

Hi

Are you arriving at the Termini? Have you thought about taking the metro - Line A to the Spagna stop. Then a short walk to the hotel. Check out the map on their website - http://www.hotelpanda.it/englishpnd/basestart.asp.

Hope this helps.

by annsnook

I presume Terimini is the main Rome station where I'll get off after travelling from Florence...???? I have been told that the Panda Hotel is very close to the Spanish Steps; thanks for your suggestion however, I was hopeing to get a taxi just to be on the safe side. Once when I was in Paris the taxi driver took me to the hotel via the "long" route...and chanreged a lot...just don't want that to happen again.
Ta

by annsnook

I presume Terimini is the main Rome station where I'll get off after travelling from Florence...???? I have been told that the Panda Hotel is very close to the Spanish Steps; thanks for your suggestion however, I was hopeing to get a taxi just to be on the safe side. Once when I was in Paris the taxi driver took me to the hotel via the "long" route...and charged a lot...just don't want that to happen again.
Ta

RE: Hotel Panda

by mccalpin

According to www.viamichelin.com, the distance by taxi is 2 kilometers - not very far at all. I don't know what the fare would be, but it can't be very much (surely less than 10 euro?).

Note that in cities like Rome, sometimes the taxi driver legitimately takes a longer route in order to avoid traffic or construction. For example, the route suggested on viamichelin runs near or even under the Quirinale, I think, which is the presidential palace, and I wouldn't be shocked if traffic were tied up occasionally due to foreign dignitary visits, etc. Note that another way would be to run up through the Via Veneto area, but since it is the home to many foreign embassies, the same might happen.

In any case, if you still want to take the taxi, be sure that you leave the train station and go out to the taxi queues where marked and metered taxis will be waiting. You may see many people inside the train station offering you rides - ignore them and go outside. The meter will have a small starting fee and there may be a fee for luggage (as well as arriving at night, if you are), but even so, taxis in Rome are not expensive compared to many other European cities.

Bill

by annsnook

Thanks for the help...as always...this forum is sooooo handy

Comments