Hotel Portafortuna

Expedia.com Travelocity Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 1 star hotels

More about Rome

The Cloister - Apr 2010The Cloister - Apr 2010

Il Tulipano Nero, Business Card, reverse, 05/07Il Tulipano Nero, Business Card, reverse, 05/07

Rameses II's obelisk in P. delle PopoloRameses II's obelisk in P. delle Popolo

Colosseo and... TrafficColosseo and... Traffic

Public Holiday 15th August '09

by pattacake

We arrive in Rome on the 14th August and lots of guidebooks tell me that Rome will be closed on the 15th? is this true? I was hoping to go to the markets and sightseeing. Just what can I expect to be open?

by cgf

the markets would be closed, maybe some shops in a touristy area could be open that day. about sightseeing.. they should be opened but I suggest you check one by one.

by leics

Even if every single thing was closed (which certainly won't be the case) you could still spend all day seeing wonderful sights......central Rome is very walkable, and full of sights which are not actually 'open' or 'closed' as such....they are just sitting there, on the streets, or in the parks. So perhaps make 15th your main 'just wandering around and being amazed' day.

I suspect that most major tourist sights will be open anyway but you will need to check each one individually, as noted above.

by Ina08

Here is what you can do and see on August 15th.

by Paisleypaul

Going back on ferragosto holiday ourselves this year - our 6th visit to Rome in 8 years - we always aim to arrive in Italy on 15th August to coincide with ferragosto and would not do if it was a problem so don't worry!

by pattacake

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It is our first visit to Rome (from Australia) and hopefully enjoy the sights with maybe less crowds.

by pattacake

Thanks for responding. We will look forward to walking and enjoying the sights.

Travel Tips for Rome

Another point-of-view of the Tiber

by maritagnes

A classical photographic view of the Tiber - il Tevere - seen through the sprinkles of the bridge. In the background the Santa Maria Maggiore. Strolling around, walking for hours and hours, forgetting all signals of sore feet until back at the hotel... It's can't be described, I love this city!! Will bring better shoes next time, though :)

Packing List

by msmod

Best luggage tip for organized tours - those where 'If it's Tuesday, we must be in
Venice'... Eagle Creek Packing squares. They keep clothes organized and relatively wrinkle free. I loved them and have subsequently used them in business travel. I bought mine at Rand McNalley Travel Store. No matter how long you are gone - pack for a week. See travelite.org for further tips.

Gifts and toys with la differenza

by Paisleypaul about Al Sogno

Al Sogno is at the top of Piazza Navona. There are gifts such as ornaments and framed art work and also children's toys, a welcome break from the chain store banality of Toys 'R' Us. Large jointed mannequins abound, but my favourite was the giant soft toy camel, 2 Metres tall and maybe 75 Kg. If you have to take this back with you on the plane somewhere, start preparing your story now ! Just contain yourself ! Could buy the shop ! (in the wish sense - not the wealth sense!) Nothing seemed especially cheap here !

Great meat!

by marielexoteria about T-bone Station

Mr. Sweden and I always look for a good meat place in every city we visit, and I found T-bone Station after googling for days and using different keywords.

T-bone Station has a variety of meat, salads, ribs, etc. and gave me a feel of an American steakhouse, probably the same feeling I've had in any other good meat place I have visited, but with an Italian twist. Their prices are average, and this had me a little bit worried because their online menu doesn't have any prices, but their food is excellent and the staff was accommodating and patient with me for trying to speak Italian (and I don't). We were very satisfied.

Coffee in Campo de' Fiori

by sue_stone about Il Nolano

Il Nolano is one of the many restaurant/bars situated on the vibrant Campo de' Fiori.

We stopped off here mid shop and took a seat in the square to relax and top up on caffeine.

It was a sunny day and a great place to do some people watching and plan our next activity.

Comments