Hotel Relais Dei Papi

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Rome

The fountainsThe fountains

Sunning on the stepsSunning on the steps

Ceiling at entrance to Vatican MuseumCeiling at entrance to Vatican Museum

Letting it all hang out...Letting it all hang out...

Cell Phones while in Italy

by Spunke

Is it possible to rent a cell phone while in Italy?? I have Verizon here in the states and I am quite sure it can not be used over there???

by KentRevedal

Hi,
Do you have a GSM phone or not? If its a GSM the phone works in Europe, if its not you may have a problem. I would advice you to talk to Verizon and ask about what kind of deal you have. I have some friends who have no problem using their mobile in Europe (mostly blackberry users). Maybe you can add roaming possibility to your existing deal if you do not have that.

If it would be a GSM phone but you can not get an international roaming agreement or its too expensive, you can buy a prepaid SIM card and put in your existing mobile. If you intend to call mostly local calls its always better to by a prepaid sim card.

Hope that helps a bit,
Kent

by footstool

Hi. I'm an AMerican and I have an I-Phone. The expensive part of using it in Europe would have been the satellite. It would have been 1.49/min, or "as low as" 1.29/min with their "plan." And I would have been billed for simply Receiving (but not answering) calls, as long as my I-Phone was turned on! And downloading (Google maps, etc) would have cost an arm and a leg. So I got a callineurope phone (a cheap-ass Motorola), SIM card, and free shipping for all of 50 USD. This was in Feb. 2009, for Paris. Most calls were 39c (charged to my credit card). Incoming calls from France were free. Texting was reasonably priced, but I lived without it for 8 days! I used the hotel's computer to plan daily events, print out maps, check email, etc. Besides, cyber cafes are easy enough to find in Europe. The Motorola and its SIM card are mine to keep (not useable while in the US anyway), ready to be used on my next trip anywhere. I'm not a paid or unpaid spokesperson; I'm simply happy with the product!

by Spunke

What about pre paid phones while it Italy, is it possible to obtian one and are they expensive??

by MvomO

Can't comment on prepaid phones in Italy, but for getting a phone in the US, you have two options:

a) Ask Verizon if they have GSM-capable phones available for their traveling customers.
b) Ask T-Mobile. T-Mobile is a German company and uses GSM in the US, too - you can use phones provided by T-Mobile basically anywhere on the globe.
c) Search on eBay for a tri- or quad-band GSM mobile.

In Italy, mobiles should be available in any electronics store at no more than about 30 Euro for a very simple one. I'm unsure about the availability of prepaid cards, though, since at least in Germany providers have to register a German address with the card (and they won't accept just any address).

by satishdave

Try this...looks reasonable

Cheers

Travel Tips for Rome

Sunset on terra cotta

by Pawtuxet

Some of my favorite colors are on the stucco buildings of Rome. There is something very special about the light just before sunset... which brings out the color of these umber and sienna structures. Architecture doesn't have to be grand memorials for me...I find such satisfaction in seeing simpler buildings which are done well and contribute so much to the atmosphere of the city. I'm not sure if it is the pigment in the paints or the rays of the sun that make these sights so special to me, but it's that warm feeling and color that stays with me long after the visit.

Leave the Tourists Behind...

by diemblake

My journey to the Villa Borghese gardens was a complete surprise. I was guided here by local artist, Sergio Angilella, and treated to a lecture on local history and a wonderful picnic. Why would I recommend the Villa to others? Well, I found that it was a wonderful escape from the hustle and bustle of the more crowded popular tourist destinations. If you like to walk, look at art, and simply find a place to sit and watch life and nature happen around you, then this is the place to go. The views are spectacular, and you even come across the most random of scenes. For myself, these were a make-shift campsite, and children climbing on sculptures.

There were many places to sit and rest, and also a guitarist singing beautiful Italian, Spanish and English melodies - Very romantic for couples. As a single traveller, it was just great to sit and listen. The walk back from the gardens towards the Spanish Steps presented me with a wonderful view of Rome, which I tried to capture in an image below.

There isn't enough that I could say about the Villa Borghese. Were I a better photographer, I would have better pictures to represent how beautiful it truly is... and if nothing else, it is free for the budget-minded travellers like myself (well, except the museums, but you can always get a Roma Pass to take care of the entrance fees.)

Testaccio Area

by UKbound04 about Testaccio

Plenty of dance/music clubs....so good I can't remember any of the details (sorry). Only worth experiencing if you have extra time to spare. the best part is picking-up food to eat on the return journey home.

In the summer, i heard much of the nitelife moves to the beaches (?) sexy

Restaurant Heaven!

by LeeParis about Many in Trastevere!!!

This is not about one particular restaurant but about the many we visited for dinners in the Trastevere area. Our hotel was in Trastevere. Each night we'd either hop the tram or walk (we always walked back) to the area near the piazza by Santa Maria in Trastevere church. It's filled with dozens of little restaurants...along with vibrant street life at night. Young and old would be out strolling the tiny streets and alleyways. On both sides of the Viale di Trastevere (a "main street" in the area) you can wander down side streets and find restaurants. We mostly stuck to the left side (as you face the Tiber River) but did eat once on the right side. Charming area...and lots of good food. Pasta, pasta, pasta! Had it in various ways...bolognese, al funghi, etc. All were good but some were fabulous. And always had an insalata mista - mixed salad. And, of course, wine. Even the nondescript little house wines tasted good in Trastevere.

You will not believe this!!!...

by Roeffie

You will not believe this!!! We ate and slept in a monastry. I can tell you the priests take good care of them selves and their guests. They have their own chef.

Unfortunately for you, you must have relatives in the monastry, otherwise you have to go to one of the many restaurants in Rome.
Food for thought and food for free. It must be italian, that's the only thing I say.

Comments