Via Delle Carrozze, 92-93, Rome, Lazio, 00187, Italy

Expedia.com Hotels.com Venere.com

Costs 68% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Great people, Clean Hotel

We stayed in Rome for a total of 6 days, 5 in one stay and 1 one on a leg back to the airport this December through Christmas. Nervous of course upon arriving at 2 am but I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the Hotel San Carlo was. The front was neat, clean and orderly. After trip up the smallest elevator we've ever been we were greeted with a clean hallway and super clean room and bathroom. Albeit tiny, our room on the 4th floor had a semiprivate terrace, which was great for night caps which we had many! Everything about the room was in fine repair. the bed was hard as a brick and I wanted to toss it out after 5 nights. Other than that, this hotel was great, especially for the price.

The people who run the hotel are super nice, friendly and ready to help you. The staff in the hotel treated us like we were family and everyone there was very nice and super accommodating at all times.

the location could not have been nicer. Right in the heart of the spanish steps, everything in rome was within walking distance. We even walked to the train station. The area surrounding the hotel was upmarket, beautiful and safe. 1 Block to the left you are on the main street through Rome and it will take you just about any where you want to go.

On our return leg, on new years eve, they gave us the room on the roof. A tiny spiral staircase lands you on a very private roof, where they have decked out the whole roof with a cabana style setup and a single room off to the side. From there we could see all of the fireworks and the bed was better! So I imagine not every room has the same bed.

it was clean, beautiful locatino, very nice people and safe. I liked it a lot.

Oh wireless internet... don't count on it unless you are in the lobby. Didn't work very well in room, but who really cares.... who wants to touch the internet while you're in ROME!?

Directions: Beautiful Spanish Steps, truly a wonderful area to stay and shop in.

More about Hotel San Carlo

Dream hotel

Hotel San Carlo was a perfect little hotel. Clean, stylish, friendly staff, fabululously located -- and still moderatly priced! We definetely plan on going back and repeating the wonderful experience.

Great Hotel in a Great Location!

The Hotel San Carlo is a great little hotel in a great location in Rome! It is close to the Spanish Steps and the Metro is really close by. It is also within walking distance of the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, and Pantheon. The rooms were a bit small but very clean. There is no elevator so be prepared to take your luggage up the stairs. The staff was very accomodating and friendly and the croissants for breakfast were the best I have ever had.

Nice hotel for the money, but very small & noisy

Our family of 4 stayed at the San Carlo for 5 days in March 2004. The staff were all very friendly and accomodating but we found the hotel to be very small and quite noisy. No elevator, no room safe, and very hot rooms with no way to turn the heat down except to open the windows, which also let in all the street noise. If you've never been to Rome, the area surrounding the Spanish Steps and Via Condotti is the shopping district and can get quite busy on the weekends. People yelling up and down the streets until 4am along with the motor scooters and trash trucks. Make sure to bring ear plugs when travelling to Italy if you want to sleep. The breakfast consisted of espresso/cappuccino with orange juice and a sugar coated croissant. Finding a table was a pain, so by the fourth day, we simply headed down the street to the Pasticceria (pastry shop) which was excellent, btw. Overall you can't beat the location or the price of this hotel, but if we ever come back someday, we'd probably try someplace else in a quieter section of town. I agree with some of the other posts that most of the restaurant recommendations were excellent, albeit a bit expensive (about 80-90 euros for a dinner for 4). The waiter at Ristorante AL 34 even gave us a free bottle of wine (worth 14 euros) ! The one thing we were never disappointed by was the food and the service. The best we've had anywhere.

Best value near spanish steps!!!!!!!!

The San Carlo is a truly wonderful place to stay. The staff is attentive and the rooms are beautiful. They have all the amenities that you need. And the location! It is so close to all the chic stores in the area around the spanish steps. A lot of the sights are nearby as well (Pantheon, Piazza Navonna ....). There is so much to do and see in the nearby area that it is about as convenient as one could want. I would highly recommend it to my friends!

Nice hotel

We spent 2 nights here on the tail end of our stay in Italy. The location can't be beat - very convenient to all the sights. The rooms are very basic but clean and nice - small by American standards but very common in Italy. The staff was helpful and polite. However, I do agree with the earlier poster that the price is really the selling point as hotels in Rome are ridiculously expensive.

Confirm your location and exact details of your room!

When we first arrived, we were shown to the "annex" (around the corner from the main hotel) and were shown a room on the fourth floor (the annex does have an elevator) with a "balcony" (which we had requested) that consisted of a small area that you could barely stand on--we were told this is what an "italian balcony" was like. We asked to be moved to the main hotel (in which we later saw the "real" terraced/balcony rooms, complete with outdoor furniture!) and I think this made the hotel staff upset, as we were treated rather coldly after that. Our room was on the 4th floor, and was lovely, but no elevator. While the hotel, location, and price are right, I would NOT recommend this hotel because of the hotel staff treatment. It definitely put a damper on an otherwise fantastic tour of Italy. If you plan to stay, be sure to CONFIRM WHICH LOCATION you are in (annex or main hotel) before you get there!

Simply fantastic!

We spent 7 nights here in May. We had room 77 at the top floor with a private balcony: it is simply fantastic, very cleaned and really quite. The location is great in the center of the center of the Town. Victoria and Rosanna at the desk were very very kind and helpful: they suggest us convenient place for shopping and very good restaurants. We definitely will come back!

sweet room in fab location

by TripAdvisor Member Annetravels

We were very pleased with this hotel. Even better than I expected for our budget limitations of under 200 Euro. The location is absolutely excellent. Step out the door and stroll to nice cafes, a great chocolate shop and fun window shopping (read: $$$$) Perfect for roaming around at night and finding lovely cafes, wine bars, gelaterias galore! A couple of key points: if you have trouble with steps beware!! Our room was up 5 flights! Room 73. No elevator. We laughed at this inconvenience but some would have trouble if you're not in shape. Our legs burned! The hotel staff happily took our bags up to the room for us without expecting a tip. We loved the breakfast and pretty breakfast rooms. Great caffes made to order, croissants, lovely yogurt and o.j. About the balcony or terrace we were promised for 190 Euro...we got a window that went to the floor and opened up with french doors but you couldn't even step out. But no worries! I was just too damn happy with everything else! The room was tiny. However, all new: marble floor, nice quality fixtures, pretty design touches, inset lighting. Nice built-in hardwood furniture. Nice firm bed. The bathroom also is small, but nicely appointed and all new. The shower is small, so if you're not... :) The staff at the front desk was very friendly and even let me send out an e-mail, promptly providing me my reply when I returned from dinner. Great hotel for the money!! We would stay here again and request either the same room or one with a walk out balcony. Enjoy!

Great value

My wife and I spent there last Easter, and I must honestly say that it was a great success having chosen this tiny hidden hotel. We chose it because it was cheap and read good reviews here. The rooms were spacious and quite clean (our room was number 78), with a precious terrace outside. Location is really great (very close to Plaza di Spagna and just a street away from Via Condotti, where the major luxury shops are settled). There are four stars hotels in Rome far away from this.

Breakfast is not wonderful, but caramelised cornettos and capuccino were good enough. We discovered why it does not have 4 stars very soon: the hotel fails to have stairs. So watch out if you arrive late, your room is in the 3rd or 4th floor and the guy who is suppossed to bring your luggage to your room is not there (anyhow you can recover energy later in the very close Al 34 trattoria. Spaghetti with loabster was great).

Hotel San Carlo. Has anybody stayed here?

by 1sttimeinRome

I think I have picked my hotel. It will be Hotel San Carlo because of the location. I have a single room which from the pictures I see is pretty small, but I wonder how they fit a bathroom in there. The hotel tells me each room has a private bathroom with tolet and shower. Just wondering if anybody has stayed there and what the hotel is like? Thanks in advance.

RE: Hotel San Carlo. Has anybody stayed here?

by Lacristina