Hotel San Daniele Bundi

Via Cavour 295, Rome, 00184, Italy
San Daniele Bundi House
Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Rome

A Wedding, Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, 05/07A Wedding, Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, 05/07

Temple A in the foregroundTemple A in the foreground

Bernini's MoorBernini's Moor

The ColosseumThe Colosseum

vatican museum booking

by muzeve

Hi,I am looking to book to veiw vatican museum, sistine chapel etc. I have entered the site as suggested, and discovered you can visit on a friday night in september. This would suit me fine. Is the night visit recommended? Will this alleviate the crowds a little? I am interested to visit at night as it frees up the days more. Also, I would like to go to top of st peters basilica for the views, excuse my lack of research, but is this practical to visit here before vatican museum, and is it an additional charge, and how much time should I allow.
I just like to admire the works of the museum etc,and not have a detailed knowledge of evry single thing, is there anything else I should visit around st peters square?
Thanks very much in advance

by puerto_lover

Quite a lot of visitors to the Vatican Museums just tend to walk through to the Sistine Chapel via the Raphael rooms. These areas are poorly lit by natural light and tend to be a bit 'gloomy' which is normal in order to preserve the painting from too much exposure to light. I have not been in the evening but would imagine that some additional articial light is used and would not detract from the splendid paintings especially the Sistine Chapel ceiling. I noticed that some guidebooks suggest taking some binoculars to view the detail of the paintings however for a visit to take in the grand effect and also catch most of the detail, I don't think they are really necessary !

Entry into the Basilica is free but you need to dress accordingly otherwise you can be refused entry. Ladies shoulders covered and Men should have long pants. The queue later in the day is usually quieter. There is an additional charge of around €5 to go to the top.

The distance from the Basilica exit to the Vatican Museums is about 15 minutes walk. As you exit the Basilica with the square in front of you, the way is to your left through the columns and to follow the outer walls of the Vatican all the way round.
The nearest other well known sight to the Vatican in the area is the Castel Sant'Angelo - there is a tourism office nearby in case you need some help.

by leics

St Peter's Basilica is free, but you have to pay extra to climb the dome (for the views). 7 euros for the elevator, 6 euros if you use the stairs.

has lots of useful information.

You can expect to queue for security scanning but it is my experience that the queues are shorter in the late afternoon. You must dress appropriately, or you will be turned away by the security staff.

I don't know of anything specific to visit very near to St Peter's, although the square itself deserves a good look and the basilica is stuffed with things to see. There is plenty not too far away (e.g Castel S'Angelo).

Nor do I know if going to the museum/Sistine Chapel will cut down on visitors all that much, although you will not get most organised day tour groups of course. You may find that others have exactly the same idea!

by muzeve

thanks again, always very useful information, and thanks for spending the time to always answer the questions.

by leics

You are welsome.

Enjoy Rome...there is so very much to see!

Travel Tips for Rome

You may feel thirsty all day...

by yhcho18

You may feel thirsty all day long walking around Rome under the sunlight in summer.
So don't forget to buy a big bottle of water in supermarket before you start tour in Rome!!
It costs too much to buy one bottle of water at outdoor-market compared to supermaket. at least more than 2-3times. Notice it!!

Comfortable shoes a must!!!

by squeak_tj97

Sometimes I wonder about Italian women. While we were walking around the Roman Ruins, we saw several Italian's wearing high-heel boots. I know they were in pain as we had on comfortable walking shoes and our feet were killing us. We did tons of walking on uneven pavement. I don't understand how they do it.

Kids Toy Shop

by magyarozag about Can't remember

Really sweet little childrens toy shop, only small but has a good range of dfferent toys but mainly knights and castles. Some kids go there to buy toys, others just to play. It's a really sweet shop. Just behind the River Tiber. I would be grateful if someone could tell me the name and road. A good range of educational and just fun toys. Mainly knights and castles. Few girls toys. Same price you would in England really.

Bad service at this restaurant

by bergstenarn about PastaritO

We had to wait very long for our food. Finally all but me got their plates. I waited quite long before reminding the waiter in the belief that my plate would soon come. After my gentle reminder I once again waited quite long without getting my food. I reminded the waiter a second time and finally I got my plate. But by then the rest of the family had already finished. The food was below expectations as many times before in Italy. I was not compensated for the long wait and we decided never to go back to this restaurant.

Crunchy pizza...

by Sarita76 about Formula Uno

This is one of the most attended pizzerie in San Lorenzo, the neighbourhood mainly inhabited by university students. It is crowded almost every night , especially at weekends, and you usually have to wait outside for a free table. Sometimes it can be very noisy inside, but that's part of its "charme" ;-) The service is very quick so that you don't forget that there's people waiting outside for a seat and a pizza... Pizza is crunchy and yummy and they have a wide choice... I suggest to have a try of their fried stuff :)
CLOSED ON SUNDAYS