Vicolo del Piede 2, Rome, Lazio, 00153, Italy

Hotel Santa Maria
Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Rated 11% higher but also costs 104% more than other 3 star hotels

• Great hotel in Rome

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria for three nights at the end of a three week trip through Italy. When we arrived at the Hotel, we were exhausted from traveling for so long and not expecting much from the hotel, as many of the hotels where we had stayed were disappointing.The Trastevere neighborhood has so much character and was such a great place to stay. It's nice to get out of the hectic pace of Rome and stay in a more "authentic" neighborhood. When coming back to the hotel after a long day of walking, it seemed like an oasis. While it is expected that the restaurant prices in Rome will be very expensive, the prices in the Trastevere seemed very reasonable. Every meal we had was delicious and we were never disappointed. The neighborhood looks a little dicey when you first get there (lots of graffiti, tiny streets) and the hotel is a bit tough to find at first, but one you get the hang of it, it is simple. The neighborhood was lively at night and very safe. We felt like it was a much less touristy area and definitely preferred it to the tourist spots.

Unique Quality: When we walked into the courtyard, we were thrilled. The staff was friendly and helpful, the courtyard was peaceful and the room was clean and very comfortable. The bed was the most comfortable one I slept in while on our trip. The breakfast was also fantastic and the snacks during happy hour were delicious and much appreciated

• “Who could ask for anything more”

My husband and I were visiting Rome with my 22 year old brother. This was our first time in Rome. I had my fingers crossed that the hotel was going to be wonderful and not a bust. I was extremely happy from the very beginning almost until we stepped on the plane.

We used the car service from the hotel for 50E's. The driver was good and showed us some of the sites on the way to the hotel. When we arrived at the Santa Marie we were pleased with the building and courtyard. We arrived around 11am and our room was not available until after 1pm. I wish we could have checked in immediately but instead we dropped off our luggage and started looking around outside the hotel compound. The hotel provides a map that is ALL you will need. We saw some tourists using their maps from their travel guides and they usually were asking people with real maps for directions. Honestly this map was great. We found many places close by for lunches and dinners. It really is a great location for a hotel.
    Also good tour service with tourinrome company www.tourinrome.com

We returned around 2pm and went right to the room. We had the Jr. Suite (Rm 14) It was nice. Two rooms seperated by a sliding door. The bathroom was nice too. Each of the sleeping areas had flat screen TV's (only CNN, BBC and MTV were in english, but that is okay). The beds were comfy and the pillows were good too. There is a small closet with 10ish hangers, 4 shelves and a small safe. (A lap top will not fit in the safe. Some larger cameras might not fit either). The towels were a bit rough but really large. No wash cloths only hand towels. There was a blow dryer, 3 small bottles of shampoo, a small pack of tissues, shower cap, and a shoe shine cloth in the room.

Oh...there is little to no circulation in the rooms. We had the heat all the way off and slept with the windows open. I wish there would have been a fan. This meant we heard most of the morning noise from the courtyard. It was not too bad though. We slept in every day except the day we returned home. Breakfast was yummy. The scrambled eggs were a nice touch to a normally boring continental breakfast. We had cappuccinos and egg sandwiches almost every morning there.

The courtyard and facilties are beautiful. The hotel is very clean. We never had loud guests that annoyed us or rude staff. They were helpful when we needed them. The hotel had a free bike rental (and they were in good shape) and nice umbrellas that could be borrowed in the event of rain.

My only negative little bit is that I requested a car service for our return trip home. We ended up with a taxi instead. Well the taxi driver thought it was okay to drive in excess of 100 mph down the streets of Rome. I asked him to slow down and we all expressed that we were frightened by his driving. When were arrived at the airport (10mins from leaving the hotel) he laughed and asked for a tip for getting us there so fast. I was a little peeved. The first driver was wonderful and well worth the 50E's. But this driver made me really mad. I don't know if it is fair to blame this on the hotel so I am mainly just not really excited that we had a taxi instead of the car service.

All in all we would absolutely recommend this place to our friends, family and anyone else that wants a great location, great atmosphere and wants to feel you got the most for your money. The price of the room was great. (we paid 250E's a night for 3 people in the Jr. Suite) I think that is wonderful!!

For Americans travelling in Europe for the first time...please keep in mind the standards are different. In some countries customer service is not what is in the US. (Rome was great though) Also the size of hotel rooms are normally smaller (this hotel still had great sized rooms). Breakfast at a US hotel might not be the kind of breakfast you will get abroad, but it is usually included in the room (breakfast at Santa Marie was tasty!) so don't complain too much. Different countries are different for a reason so enjoy the experience! If you wanted everything to be like it is in the US then don't visit another country. But if you want a true picture of Rome the Santa Marie is definately the place to stay. 3 stars is being very modest. I felt this was a 4+ hotel easy.

Directions: The location is really good too.But in Rome we walked from the hotel to every where. It was about 20-30 mins to the Vatican and the Collissium. And that was not a fast walk

• coolswizzle's Profile Photo

trastevere

the hotel is in the woking class neighborhood of trastevere. if you`re a traveler who likes to watch the locals instead of seeing the sights this is the hotel for you but since it was our first time in rome we had to take a tram ride to get to a point where we can start walking to see the sights.

the rooms are small but they serve very good breakfast though. the filipino staff was very accomodating and friendly( me being filipino too) but i noticed that they gave me the same level of service they gave to the others.

fyi i wasn`t the first guest to have a hard time getting a cab after checking out of the hotel..... i wonder why?

will i stay here again? i don`t think so. there are other hotels in rome that you could get better value for your money and much nearer to the sights too.

Unique Quality: the hotel the a courtyard with orange trees. very good breakfast.

Directions: trastevere, roma

• Stevedo's Profile Photo

Wonderful hotel, wonderful tour in Rome

Wonderful hotel, wonderful tour in Rome
    Hotel Santa Maria Thanks for the wonderful hotel and great breakfasts! I must admit to being a bit scared while walking through Rome -- seeing all of the graffiti and well worn buildings. After entering the gate of the hotel I was astonished, everything was quite beautiful.

Unique Quality: The garden, with the orange trees, tasteful decorations and plesant atmosphere was a welcome end to all of our "busy" days meandering the streets of Rome. The rooms are very comfortable and well maintained. I am amazed that the hotel is only three star! I have stayed at many five star hotels in Paris, Belgium, Wales and across the planet that simply do not compare. The tour given by Roman Promenades (www.roman promenades.com) was a wonderful tour. We spent three amazing days - one seeing the Roman Forum, the others visiting the Vatican and the Catacombs. (No waiting on line!) I cannot recommend this company - and especially Stefano - highly enough. Well done!! Joseph Kennedy Joseph Kennedy and Kyrin Blythin London, UK

Directions: The hotel Santa Maria is located in the centre of Rome, in the heart of Trastevere one of the city’s most ancient and distinctive neighbourhoods famous for its restaurants, folklore performances and other evening activities.

• 3stevens's Profile Photo

An oasis in the centre if Rome

When we were looking for a hotel in Rome last december, we had only the information from our guidebook to guide us in making our choice. How fortunate we were to stay at Hotel Santa Maria. The location was wonderful. The breakfasts were wonderful. The staff, made us fell like welcomed guests. We have to thank the staff for directing us around the beautiful city, for recommending places to eat, for unlocking locked luggage when we misplaced the keys, and for being our best friends during our stay.
    The rooms were very well equipped, tv, minibar, hair-dryer, safe-box, air-conditioning.
    The bathroom was very clean and very confortable.

Unique Quality: Outside the room there was a very nice garden where, after a long day walking around Rome, we could enjoy a moment of relax drinking some wine.
    Here we met Stefano. Despite an overwhelming personal situation, he took time, with a small group, to show us through the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's, the Roman Forum and the Colosseum and gave us a pictures of history and politics and art we could never acquire by ourselves. We have had guides before but Stefano was like an expert good friend giving us the experience of seeing Rome away from the usual tourist itineraries and getting the most from art and history. (www.romanpromenades.com)
    He arranged us for an unforgettable evening at Ristorante "Il Drappo" where Walter personally supervised our food and drinks (many drinks!) for four hours, then poured us into a taxi for the ride back to the hotel. We enjoyed his company immensely, and we suggest him to all of you that wants to feel as though you actually live in Rome.
    We'd like to say "thank you" to all the staff for their courtesy and patience and professionalism that helped make our Roman Holiday so special. Grazie Mille! Anne

Directions: In the city centre, near the tiber.

• 3stevens's Profile Photo

Wonderful small 3-star hotel in the centre of Rome

Wonderful small 3-star hotel in a great area of Rome. Clean and quiet, wonderful breakfast plus bar service throughout the day and evening.
    My mother and I stayed in room #7, which was a double, for a cost of euros186 per room per night. The room was very bright and quiet ( the bathroom was also very clean and nice) . There was a TV complete with satellite television that offered CNN Int'l. Mini bar, breakfast and air conditioning was also included in the rate.
    The hotel was spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was modern - pedestal sink, tub with handheld shower head, toilet and bidet. There were no problems with hot water
    The breakfast (served from 7:30 to 10:30) consisted of coffee made to order, juices, breads and pastries, yogurt and fruit, cereals, meats and cheeses. All items were fresh daily and very plentiful.
    I highly recommend this hotel, especially for anyone who is interested in staying in a central located and romantic hotel. I feel this hotel offers fabulous value

Unique Quality: There was an indoor seating area as well as tables outside in the lovely central garden. The breakfast room also served as a bar that offered service all day and pretty much all night if anyone wanted cocktails, wines or coffee. We had a lovely bottle of prosecco one evening before dinner.
    The staff was very professional and courteous. The location may be difficult to get to with a lot of luggage. The cab that dropped us off said he was unable to drive right to the hotel, so he dropped us a couple streets away. But, when we left at the end of our stay, the cab that was called for us came right up to the reception area of the hotel.
    There are plenty of restaurants in the immediate area so we only left the neighborhood one night for dinner. Campo Fiori and the Jewish Ghetto are right across the River and Piazza Navona and Pantheon, Colosseum and roman Forum are an easy 15 minute walk. We only took a cab three times, and we never even rode the bus or metro.
    We took some tours with Roman Promenades, the guides were very professional and also very informative during the tours we never wasyed our time on lines the guides that were with us they had priviledge entrances. Thanks to roman promenades our stay will be memorable.
    www.tourinrome.com

Directions: The hotel Santa Maria is in Trastevere, this area is few minutes from campo de fiori , and all the most important sights of Rome.

More about Hotel Santa Maria Rome

Hotel Santa Maria

by TripAdvisor Member henry flowers

Hotel Santa Maria The hotel is less than a city block from the wonderful night life of the Piazza Santa Maria, but quieter than many of the places that we stayed in Italy. The only sound that never failed to penetrate our air-conditioned room was the church bells- every quarter hour.

From the hotel it was an easy walk to the Vatican, the Forum, the Campo and the Piazza Navonna.

The breakfasts and the service were wonderful. The staff all spoke much better English than I spoke Italian. My thanks to all the staff, particularly Arianna, Conrad and Violet.

Bob M

Loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member Matsushkr

We absolutely loved our stay at the Hotel Santa Maria. The staff was so friendly and helpful with every question or need that we had. The room was clean, cute and comfortable. Plus the breakfast was the best we had in Italy. Trastevere has wonderful restaurants and is very centrally located for all the sights in Rome. We would stay here again in a heartbeat and will recommend it to all of our friends! It was a little oasis of quiet in a great big city.

Perfect Spot

Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere is the perfect spot to enjoy a stay in Rome. The staff was so kind and helpful that we really felt welcomed as their guests. The unique arrangement of rooms surrounding an outdoor patio filled with tables lends an air of spaciousness and affords the opportunity to relax with a glass of wine while attempting to journal, write postcards, play scrabble or converse with other guests. Breakfast is also served in this area with a staff that is very capable and attentive. The location is great for strolling and transportation easy to access. We had a great time here and would highly recommend booking reservations at this endearing hotel in Trastevere. Jeanette Rieger

A quiet place in Rome

We were delighted with Hotel Santa Maria. It's an oasis in Trastavere, very well situated for walking or going by tram or bus to all the places in Rome that you want to go to. In fact we walked (except to the grave of Keats in the protestant cemetery, which was an easy ride on Tram no 3) - Hotel Santa Maria is an ideal base for sightseeing. The hotel is extremely well run by courteous, attentive, friendly and notably helpful staff. The rooms are very comfortable (there are family rooms). We had a double room with an extra bed for our daughter, who is twenty, and it worked well. Eating breakfast (and a very delicious one it was) in the courtyard under orange trees, and then walking in ten minutes across the Ponte Sisto to the Campo de Fiori, was an experience to treasure. It's a quiet place, but literally round the corner from some of Rome's nicest restaurants and one of its delightful piazzas. It's not for those who want a jacuzzi and a massage-parlour and lap-dancing in the evenings - but we didn't, and were happy that those who did were staying elsewhere. Having said this, the hotel reception is open all night for those who want to be late (or early). We wanted to be comfortable and well looked after and quiet, and we couldn't have been more pleased. We have already recommended Hotel Santa Maria to someone else: it was just what we wanted for our week in Rome, and better than we had dared to hope.

CSSD - August 2004

trying to decide where to stay

by ncbq

does any one have any suggestions on where to stay while in rome? my husband and I are traveling there in Dec. this will be our first trip there.

by SFHulaGIrl

Near the Pantheon is a lively area, with plenty of sights to see, restaurants, and shopping. It's very safe, too. I've also stayed near the Vatican, which is more of an older residential area.

by Lacristina

Ciao!

It would help us give you advice if you told us a little more about your budget, expectations, needs, etc.

A good place to start looking, if only for comparison purposes and price levels, is www.venere.com.

They have more listings than any other site I know of, plus they have reviews which are trustworthy, since only people who have booked and paid through venere.com can leave a review.

Cristina

Re: Re: trying to decide where to stay

by Summersquash

I agree. Venere.com has a good variety of hotels and prices. You can also check on TripAdvisor.com and get lots of reviews of hotels from people who have stayed at them. This will give you a good idea of the location. Also sometimes the pictures are a lttle misleading, and you can get more honest opinions from past guest.

by Keyser

I agree about checking the websites. Along those lines, I'm glad to see the place I was going to recommend (Caesar House Residenze Romane) is now ranked #3 in Rome (on tripadvisor.com) - it was in the 20s when I went in June. I very highly recommend it, if it's in your price range. It's a bit farther from the Pantheon area (which, as someone said, would be a nice area to stay in), but is very close to the Forum and Collosseum. You can read my detailed review on tripadvisor.com.

by ncbq

thanks for all the suggestions.
has anyone stayed in trastervere? at either the villa della fonte or the hotel santa maria?
would this be a good location for a first time visitor?

Re: Re: trying to decide where to stay

by CALSF

I have a colleague who lived for 6 months in Trastevere and loved it. It is a tiny bit out of the way of the 'normal' tourist locales but it is a great neighborhood. She raved about it. I was actually contemplating staying at the Hotel Santa Maria at one time. It gets good reviews which you can view at this link from tripadvisor.com:

by davidstevens

stay in the centre. piazza navona is a great area and there is a brand new hotel called the hotel teatro pace 33 www.hotelteatropace.com - i have heard nothing but rave reviews about this hotel so book it before the owners bump up the price!

Comments