Via Del Viminale 58, Rome, Lazio, 00184, Italy

Official Site Booking.com Venere.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

it was OK for our budget

Hotel Sonya was recommended to us on the first stages of planning our trip.

The location was perfect for us who didn't really want to buy a transport card or the Roma Pass but still wanted to make the most of our time in Rome. In the price we got:

- free Internet in our room by borrowing their "flybook" (which is their name of a mini PC they have for their guests or if we had our own laptop) or on their computer on the hall
    - cable TV (for us who like watching TV to unwind just before going to sleep)
    - free breakfast: bread, pastries, cake, ham, cheese, butter, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea.

We wanted a room with a view to the Opera House but instead we got one of the back, and that proved to be a better choice because we didn't hear any street noise. The room itself was a tad on the small size (and especially the en suite bathroom and shower) but it was OK for us.

Directions: Metro: Termini, Repubblica. In front of the Teatro dell'Opera.

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Great mid-range accommodation

This was my home for three nights in Rome, and I chose it based on its special Rick Steves discount and location close to the train and metro stations. It was a great base for sightseeing--clean, neat, run by friendly front desk workers, and a very nice breakfast by Italian standards.

Unique Quality: Our room was a quintuple, which was average-sized for Italian hotel rooms--a good shower, decent mattresses, and fresh towels every day.

Directions: About 8 minutes on foot from Termini rail station by sidewalks and controlled intersections

More about Hotel Sonya

3 stars could never get this better

by ChefSeya about Hotel Sonya. Rome, Italy

This recently renovated hotel has a great location in the center of Rome, just a few minutes away from Rome’s Termini train station and in front of the opera house.

Less than a kilometer from the city’s famous Trevi Fountain, this family-run boutique hotel offers a range of comforts and services, including free internet access, a free map of the city, free Sky satellite TV and a breakfast featuring homemade cakes. The air conditioned, en suite rooms are comfortable, and well-equipped, with all the modern comforts and facilities you need.

The hotel’s central location means it has great access to the city’s transport network, making it a convenient base, whether you are exploring Rome as a tourist or visiting the city on business. With comfortable accommodation and exceptional services on offer, this exclusive hotel is a great place to stay in Rome, whatever your reason for visiting this magnificent city. The Hotel Sonya is ideally located for visiting the city. Situated in the center of Rome, it is close to Rome Termini Station and right in front of the Opera House.
This exclusive hotel in Rome is also close to many places of cultural and artistic interest, such as Piazza di Spagna, Piazza Venezia and Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain, the Colosseum, Via Veneto, the Imperial Forum, the Campidoglio and the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore.

Loved Hotel Sonya

We had a fantastic week in Italy from 9/16-9/23. We visited Florence and Rome and charted our schedules using the recommendations provided by Rick Steves. It worked out great.
We took our 3yr old daughter along and she did very well despite the time change and hours of museum visits.
Do take along a poncho if you plan to visit in Fall, since we experienced intermittent rains for 3-4 days.
If you plan to visit the Uffizi, call about a month in advance for reservations. We had a tough time, but eventually got what we needed. For all others, call at least 2 weeks in advance.
We found the Metro (subway) to be the easiest and the most time efficient way to commute in Rome. (Florence - walk everywhere...small place). Buy the all day pass for 4 Euros per person and use unlimited.
If you have a child, take a good full size stroller with you, since the umbrella strollers lack shock absorbing capabilities to run smoothly on the centuries old stone paved roads.

A very comfortable stay in a convenient hotel

by TripAdvisor Member KayTH

Just returned from 3 nights in Rome. We stayed at the Hotel Sonya after reading reviews on tripadvisor and were not disappointed.

Our room had everything we needed including an extremely large bed, air conditioning which was pure bliss at the end of each very hot and tiring day, a safe with key to save us trudging all our valuables around with us plus the usual. It was cleaned daily to a high standard.

The staff were very friendly and helpful - spoke good English. Breakfast was basic but more than sufficient for our needs and served with a smile.

The location was brilliant. Only a short walk from the Termini Station and within easy reach of everything we wanted to see. We walked everywhere - no need for a bus or tram if you are fit and well and you see far more by walking. We did the lot - the Vatican, ancient Rome, piazzas, Basilicas, fountains etc, etc. The Cafe Strega just a short walk along the road was very good value and great food.

We would recommend Hotel Sonya to anyone and would not hesitate to go there again.

Charming

We stayed at Hotel Sonya this spring and thought it was wonderful. It was my first trip to Europe and this room exceeded all my expectations. You could walk from the train station (a huge plus I think) and they did offer a shuttle service to/from the airport. The breakfast was very charming and the staff was very nice. Highly recommended!

Perfect hotel for Rome

by TripAdvisor Member Smowton

Having used trip advisor to select the Hotel Sonya, I would say that the comments were very accurate.
Let's get the very few negatives out of the way. The shower cubicle is small and the water not quite hot enough. The room size is also small (one chair). The orange and pineapple juices are very ordinary, but that may be normal for Rome. Everything else is excellent. The room was always spotless, the bed the most comfortable I've slept in and was huge. The heated towel rail was a blessing, the safe most welcome and the fizzy water in the minibar was one euro, which they forgot to charge (don't tell them!). Breakfast is from 7.00 to 10.00, the capuccino excellent and most decorative! The iced croissants were very popular in the somewhat cramped breakfast room. The hotel has a wireless access point so we could use tinternet and skype home for free from the bedroom. The old fashioned lift is wonderful, great fun. We went to the restaurant you can see from the window of room 333 (Alesso? Abruzzo? something like that)twice, it was excellent. The Strega, recommended here, had TERRIBLE service but the pizza was very good; still, I wouldn't go near the place again. Location was excellent, central but not too touristy which I liked. Coach fron Ciampino (it was just there, like a bus) was €5 each, return from the coach stop just past Termini (NOT IN IT!!!) was €6 so excellent value. The market you can see from the hotel room was also excellent, I bought a tie for €8 that looks just fine, and we bought our daughters two bracelets which look very expensive, for €3 each (don't tell them!). Hope this is useful.

Great Service and Clean Rooms

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Sonya, during our week long trip to Rome. We paid 120 euros a night for a double room with ensuite bathroom and daily breakfast. The room was very clean and adequately sized for an European hotel room. The service was very prompt and helpful. The receptionist even loaned us a wine opener for the afternoon. The hotel is well situated. Via Nazionale, a main thoroughfare in Rome, is only a block away. We were able to walk to all the sites except the Vatican. The neighborhood is very safe and well removed from the tourist areas which allowed us to experience real Roman life. The only compliant I have is the thin walls. However, the noise may have been solely due to the people occupying the room next to ours as prior to their arrival the hotel was very quiet. I highly recommend this hotel. [----------------]

Exactly what the website shows

by TripAdvisor Member Wave8

We stayed at Hotel Sonya from Oct 24-27. This hotel is very conveniently close to the main train station so hauling our luggage over the bumpy cobblestones didn't seem too bad for us twenty-something year olds!
The hotel is on a quiet street with not too much crazy Roman traffic. It's also close to 2 gelato stores! The hotel shares the building with other aprtments, so on each floor, you need to access the hotel part with your card. In a tiny hallway, our room looks exactly what you see on the internet, which is extremely clean and a good size. The washroom was clean and looked fairly new (which is very important to me). There is a safe in the room and TV with CNN. The fridge is stocked with a lot of different beverages. Water is only 1Euro, which is a great price -- everything in Rome is very expensive. Breakfast from 7am-10am was filling with yogart, sweet croissants, cakes, hardboiled eggs, juice, coffee, and cereals. Internet is free and easily accessed by the 3 computers in the lobby. The staff (which is only like 3 people) is very friendly and helpful.
The only disappointment was that I thought I read somewhere that the hotel offered transportation to the airport. When I asked about that service, they said only taxi cabs were available and it would cost about 45 Euros! We had no choice but to arrange for a cab.
I recommend this hotel to those who want to be close to the metro/buses and for the budget (We paid 135 Euro/night). Next time, we will prefer to stay somewhere closer to Pantheon or Via Corso since most restaurants + stores were close to this and we found it exhausting to be walking up the hills at night back to our hotel. I didn't like that the stores tend to open late and close early, so I want to be closer to the action!! But overall, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel!

A great place at a great price!

My wife and I, along with another couple, spent Thanksgiving week (and my 40th birthday!) in Italy...and several days at Hotel Sonya. I have many good things to say about the Hotel, and have fond memories of the time spent there.

Simply put - the hotel is a very quaint place in a great location. We walked from the hotel to EVERYWHERE we needed to go (except The Vatican). Great restaurants nearby...and the porchetta sandwich from a specialty shop a few doors down was just incredible!

The staff was great! Everything we needed - from the airport shuttle, directions, and a corkscrew to a completely new travel arrangement during a transportation strike were met with a gracious and immediate response. In fact, we even rearranged our schedules to return to Sonya for one night after our return from Southern Italy before our flight back to the USA.

Mr. Litu and his colleague (sorry! I can't remember his name!) were always gracious and always greeted us with a smile), and we are thankful for their kindness.

Only issues: Hot water was hit and miss...and stay FAR AWAY from whatever they consider to be orange juice at breakfast. I swear...it's the original jar of Tang that went up to the moon with the astronauts in 1969! (The chick at the checkout at the supermarket across the street also ripped me off for 5 euro...but that's another story. Slap her for me if you're there anytime soon.)

Again - a great place to stay, and I will definitely be including the hotel in my next stay in Rome.

Hotel SonyaHotel Sonya

by CFCSW6

Has anyone ever stayed at the Hotel Sonya,it is near the Opera house.....I have read many reviews and the place gets a decent write up,as does the area...I`ve heard that parts of the Termini Area can be a bit run down.,although I believe this hotel is not right on top of the train station....Thanks.

Comments