Via Casalmonferrato, 3, RE DI ROMA METRO STATION, Rome, Lazio, 00182, Italy
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Rome

Interior of PantheonInterior of Pantheon

Giolitti at nightGiolitti at night

Looking up into the dome in St. Peter's BasilicaLooking up into the dome in St. Peter's Basilica

View of the Forum from the second levelView of the Forum from the second level

Identification of sculpture

by sirgaw

Must be a vry senior moment, but after an hour or more of scratching head, doing google searches et al I have failed to come up with the name of the famous sculpture in The Vatican Museum. See member photo and PLEASE someone get me out of my myseryand let me know name of sculpture.

THANKS

by effeti

It's Laocoonte

being taken by the sea snake sent by the gods willing to cover the Ulysse's trick to defeat Troy..

Francesco

by sirgaw

Thank you Francesco, your "Helpfulness Vote" is in the mail. When at The Vatican Museum the tour guide went to great lengths to explain how Michalenglo, with his knowledge of anatomy, was able to reconstruct the sculpture as it was meant to be displayed. We had just so much kowledge imparted that day, it was impossible to absord it all.

Thanks again
David

by Kathrin_E

Exactly.

by unaS

Yes. It was found buried - and long forgotten - just opposite the Colosseum.
Our guide was also very loquacious on the subject. Fascinating!!!

by sirgaw

Just amazing stuff in the Vatican museum. There's a headless, armless, footless 2,000 year old statue "sitting" on a column that was found in a cobblers shop being used to soften leather for shoes - somehow that made it into that museum. We were told if someone was just to spend 10 seconds at each work of art in the museum, it would take several weeks looking 24/7 to see it all.

by eve72379

Great post everyone. I was in rome 4 weeks ago and my gude went through the exact same detailed speech and I came back and couldn't remeber the name of the sculpture!!!! Thumbs up to everyone

by effeti

Easy to remeber, when you studied Homerus and Virgilius... Among a few friends, we you to say.... "Look, there's a Laoocontic group down there..." when we want to point out without letting the people around know that there is a couple making out in a specially "twisted" way... Like that statue is....for different reasons!

Francesco

Travel Tips for Rome

I think Rome would be best...

by larsy

I think Rome would be best seen in the fall or spring
anytime but the summer is hot as hadese, I practically melted down the street, I think I would have had a better experience had I not gone in June.

A Day At The Races

by craic

Because my daughter is a jockey, when she came to visit she really wanted to go to the races.
I cannot begin to tell you how hard it was to find out where the races are held. Or how to get there.
Because it is not something that tourists seem to do.
I found a tourist info booth with a really helpful girl who gave me a phone number to ring. Many had fobbed me off, scornfully.
Ippodromo Capannelle.
It was a nightmare finding out what day the races were on, and how to get there.
In the end we found out that many many trains go to Capannelle, it is the first stop out of Termini. It would help when you get there that there was a station name up on both sides of the platform, but there you go. It's not for tourists.
Once there we looked for a cab rank to get to the races. No luck. No public phone to ring for a cab and none of us had cellulari.
But Alex squizzed into the distance and saw white rails and a grandstand so we walked.
No entrance fee to the course.
Bars, fast food of very poor quality, teeming crowds of locals.
What I liked most was listening to the race announcer. He said something like "Volta." Which I took to mean - "They're off."

RomaLimo

by grandmaR

My oldest daughter told me that I could not see Rome unless I could walk. I can't walk for any distance so I viewed the coming visit to Rome with some anxiety. All of the ship tours involved considerable walking. The alternative would have been either to take the train to Rome and walk (which would be hard for me) take a taxi (expensive), or to book an individual car from the cruise ship which would have been $750.00 for just a HALF day. On a tip from a fellow VTer, we hired Sandro Pagnotta of RomaLimo.

We had a wonderful tour of Rome with Sandro Pagnotta, VP. & C.O.O of RomaLimo. We had the car for the whole day - the two of us, and he took us to see the sights we were interested in (Sistine Chapel (where he obtained a guide for us), Trevi Fountain and the Coliseum) and many sights that we would not have thought of asking to see like Circus Maximus, Spanish Steps, the Knights of Malta keyhole, the city gate and the Basilica of St. Paul Fuori le Mura. The Mercedes that we used could go down the narrow streets and easily get around where a normal sightseeing bus could not go. Sandro spoke excellent English and was charming and helpful.

Sandro picked us up at the cruise ship dock in Civitavecchia at 8, and by 8:15 we were driving out of the port gate toward the Vatican. We were back at the boat by 4:00.

The day cost us $675, and paying in advance I could pay in dollars instead of Euros. I paid extra for the Vatican guide, entrance to the Vatican and Coliseum, for lunch and tips.

c/o Sheraton Roma Hotel
100,viale del Pattinaggio
00144 Rome-Italy
mobile: +39-3485151752

Anywhere in Trastavere

by Leslieb66 about Wish I could remember

I never had a bad meal in Rome, or in all of Italy for that matter. I think the best in Rome were in Trastavere. I had two dinners in this charming neighborhood and both were excellent. I only remember that one was listed in a few guidebooks and the other was not but it was an "Osteria" I also had pizza in this area and it was amazing! In one of the restaurants I had fried zucchini flower. Wonderful! I wish I had the names of these places. My friend has my travel journal so when I get it back I will see if I happened to write it down.

Hidden Piazza

by editanyc

Piazza della Minerva never seems crowded. It's a hidden one with the loveliest obelisk. In fact, I happened to be alone on the piazza when taking the picture in a late summer afternoon. That was my unique chance to contemplate the jewel of the piazza, and feel its powerful presence.

Comments