Il Bacio delle Stelle

More about Rome

WinnersWinners

La Copelle TavernLa Copelle Tavern

me in front of Trevi Fountainme in front of Trevi Fountain

Closer view of hypogeum-underground structureCloser view of hypogeum-underground structure

Left my jacket in Rome!

by ivahm4u

Hi! I left a light weight brown jacket in the van that picked us up at the port of Rome on Oct.28th & the company has it but says it will cost about $100 to have it sent Fed.X;Would love to have it back but not worth $100 since the jacket only cost about $25, but matches slacks that go with it & can't buy the jacket anymore! Is anyone going to Rome from anywhere in the US that would be willing to pick it up for me in Rome(will provide the address of course) & would send you a check to cover putting it in a large manila envelope & mailing it to me? I will love anyone who volunteers forever!! Am not in any hurry! They have the jacket & will hold it for me if I ask them to! I have the phone # of the company for anyone to call in Rome to make arrangements to get it! I doubt if anyone will answer this but thought it worth a try! My direct Email is IVAHM4U@AOL.COM Lynne

by mccalpin

Have you thought about just having them mail it back, i.e., using the postal services rather than the more pricey express services? I will admit that we used the Vatican Post Office whenever possible, although I don't know that they will take parcels...

Bill

by ivahm4u

Hi! Thanks for the reply but they said it has to be sent either Fed X or UPS with the proper customs forms, etc. & can't just be mailed like I asked them to do! Guess I'll just forget it since I refuse to spend $100 to get a $25 jacket back, even if it can't be replaced!

by LubaLorine

they're ridiculous! The postal service offers international "snail mail" and you have to fill out customs declarations there too! They are trying to charge you $100 bucks to use their business accounts at FedEx and UPS and it will likely cost them about $40 maximum (probably less.) Swindlers!

Find a friend that has access to their own or a company's FedEx account or UPS account that they are allowed to use if they pay the company back. Give that account number to the transport company in Italy and tell them to use YOUR FedEx or UPS account number! Then your friend pays for the service on your behalf and you pay them back. I'll bet you it will end up costing maybe $25.

What scoundrels! Hope this works for you! LL

Travel Tips for Rome

Forza Italia? No.

by craic

The lift in my block of flats was very intimate. It was necessary to make conversation as one stood breast to breast.
The young lad from the flat downstairs got in with his friend and because they had a little English and perfect manners - and because Italia was about to play Australia in the World Cup - we have a perfect conversation topic.
He pointed at me and said - Australiana!
His friend was very interested.
So I did a round or two of Aussie Aussie Aussie Oy Oy Oy!
Which amused (and embarrassed) them mightily.
And I managed to intimate that they might be shouting - Forza Italia!
But no. They clouded over. And managed to convey to me that a political party had used Forza Italia as a slogan (batardi!) and the young people no longer used it. It had been appropriated and tainted.

The pizza joint downstairs had a tv and showed soccer matches so whenever there was a match on the joint was crowded with fans, munching on pizza and supping beer or wine - people stopping in the street to check it all out through the open doors.
And one would hear the chanting.

Roma Roma Roma
Roma in the night.

As far as I can gather there are two local teams. Roma and Lazio. But where I lived in Trastevere they all seemed to be Roma fans.
Francesco Totti comes from Testaccio - just across the river - and he is huge in Rome too. But he doesn't play for Roma. I am almost sure he plays for Juventus. But I know someone will correct me if I am wrong.

If you want some excellent local fun - just turn up to any bar or cafe that has a tv on match day - and I can guarantee excellent local fun.

Antique Italian Remedies and Perfume

by nicolettart

The shop IF Chitarrini carries the Farmacia di Santa Maria Novella products:soaps, lotions, and even a perfume made for Catherine di Medici. My favorite is the Gardenia soap. The products are made from centuries-old recipes, and are quite expensive. If you are willing to splurge this makes an impressive gift for someone back home, as well.

Subway system

by Jehcekah

The Roman subway system is very small and very easy to understand. There are two lines, A and B (red and blue) which intersect in the middle at the main train station, Termini.

One of the hardest things about the subway to grasp is buying tickets. There are machines, but they often to not work or only accept even change. Tickets can also be purchased at the little newstands in the subway stations and on the streets, but they also do not like to give change. If you need to buy a ticket, make sure you have at least the closest amount to the cost as possible.

You are supposed to punch your ticket in the machine before riding the train. It is very easy to get away with not buying or punching a ticket. However, I do have to say that on our way out of Rome to the airport, the subway police were checking tickets. We had luckily bought one that morning. Before that we were occasionally riding for free when we didn't have the right change to buy a ticket...generally not a good idea.

Attack of the killer wine bar

by phred1910 about Enoteca Trastevere

A quaint little cafe with great jazz music and a fantastic wine selection. Great for people watching and escaping the pressures of the day. We had a bottle of Barco Reale di Carmignano Capezenna 2001 along with a plate of bread, cheese, salami, and olives.

Temple to All Gods

by WulfstanTraveller

The Pantheon is truly one of the most stunning and technically impressive monuments in the world. The dome was unsurpassed, even unrivalled, for centuries and is made of cast concrete. The oculus in the centre of the roof provides essentially all the light. It is all the more impressive because it is still essentially intact even though it is almost 2,000 years old. In fact, the Augustan-era entrance, more than a century older than the Hadrianic rotunda, is about 2,000 years old.

Comments