Internazionale

Nic2004's Profile Photo

Hotel above the Spanish Steps

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 1, 2013

I stayed in another hotel in the same street 10 years ago and so thought it might be a good option (as we got single rooms for around 63 €/night incl. breakfast which I think is a good price for Rome).

Hotel Internazionale is located near the Spanish steps as well as to the metro stations Barberini and Spagna. This is convenient if you want to use the train from the airport. We took a taxi, however, which costs 48 € at the moment (flat rate from Fiumicino to the centre of Rome). We both had double rooms for single use which was very nice. Mine (no. 38) also had a small terrace, without view, but very convient for us being smokers. My bathroom was spacious, with window, sufficient toiletries, electric towel heating, which, however, didn't work (I didn't claim it, I have to admit). There was some mould in the shower. I didn't mind, so I didn't claim it. But some of you might mind.

Breakfast was served on the third floor. It contained Muesli, yogurt, 2 types of cheese (mozzarella and a swiss one), 2 types of sausage (salami and ham), bacon, scrambled eggs (apparently not freshly made - I don't reccomend it). different kinds of bread, jam, butter, different kinds of sweets, some vegetables (tomato, cucumber...), some fruit (fresh melon, the rest can). It was ok for me as I can't eat a lot in the morning. Tea and coffee was available. The coffee of the dispenser was black water, however. But you can order Cappuccino or caffè (espresso). The lady in the breakfast room wasn't too available, however. We had to go to her directly to ask, she didn't have a look even if after 2 - 3 days she might have knewn that you wanted 1 or more cappuccini.

There is a roof terrace which wasn't open when we were there. Maybe they open it when the main season begins (after Easter?).

There is a bar downstairs which we did not use. Also an internet terminal which did not work when I wanted to check in our flight. The guy at the reception sent me to the internet terminal when I asked him if he could do the web check in for our flight for us and did not offer to do it for us when I told him that the internet terminal did not work.

Well, the hotel was ok. But if I had known we would take a taxi from and to the airport, I would have looked for a hotel downstairs the Spanish Steps. It was a little bit difficult to find a decent restaurant in this area and - after walking around Rome the whole day - we didn't want to walk a lot in the evening to find a decent place to dine.

Unique Quality: It is near 2 Metro Stations: Spagna and Barberini. This is very convenient if you want to use public transportation from / to the airport. You can also use the metro to the Colosseum or the Vatican Museums. The Spanish Steps are just some steps away (the hotel is located in the same street as the famous Hotel Hassler). Palazzo Barberini is also just around the corner. You can reach most of the center on foot.

Directions: Metro station Barberini

Perfect location & best price in Rome!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 11, 2005

We have stayed at the Hotel Internazionale 6 times! Many of our friends have stayed here also. All agree...it's terrific!

The location at the top of the Spanish Steps is perfect!
The staff (especially Elena & Giorgio) were all very helpful & attentive.
They always make sure to honor our room request (back of hotel with private terrace).
It is lovely & quiet...The rooms are air conditioned, have great bathrooms, and lots of amenities!

The breakfast room is beautiful, & they serve a wonderful buffet.

The rooftop terrace overlooking Rome is delightful for an afternoon cocktail.

We shall always stay here when in Rome!

Grazie Andrea & staff!

Arrivederci!

Dana & Tim

Unique Quality: Wonderful amenities in the rooms.

Hotel's history is fascinating!

Directions: Top of the Spanish Steps.

1 Photo of Internazionale

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews