Internazionale Castelfusano Camp

Camping Internazionale di Castelfusano
Priceline.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Rome

Restaurant is very popular and livelyRestaurant is very popular and lively

At the Dome of St. Peter's BasilicaAt the Dome of St. Peter's Basilica

Chiesa di San Martino ai MontiChiesa di San Martino ai Monti

Inner Courtyard Of San SilvestroInner Courtyard Of San Silvestro

Area to stay

by msocolin

Hi everyone! I'm travelling to Rome the first days of November as part of my honeymoon. Which areas would you recommend for us to stay? We plan to do a lot of sightseeing, walking, etc... and be at the hotel mostly for breakfast and sleeping.
We don't want to spend much more that 100 EUR a night.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Matías

by leics

I always stay in the Termini area, which is ultra-convenient for trains and public transport as well as transport to/from Rome Airport. It is within walking diatnce of the historical center (about 20 - 25 minutes to the Colosseum on foot). Most importantly, from your point of view, it has a huge range of budget hotels....and 100 euro per night for 2 people is pretty much budget hotel price for Rome.

If you stay further out you may find cheaper places than in the historical centre, but you then have to factor in time and cost of transport.

Have a look at www.venere.com a reliable site with honest guest reviews used by many VT-ers which lists almost all Rome hotels (and some b&bs and apartments). It has good mapping, so you can work out where hotels are sited. Try to stay as near to the historical centre as you can: Rome is very walkable (irt also has an excellent public transport sustem) and walking is by far the best way to explore....you will see so much more.

Another reliable site is www.booking.com, which has more detailed mapping.

by msocolin

Thanks for your answer! I have already checked venere.com, and found most of the cheaper hotels near the Termini. I've been to Rome once, but as a backpacker almost 10 years ago and I stayed near the station too, and I remember walking to everywhere. I wanted to check if there was a "better" area for more or less the same budget (100 EUR). I will probably book a hotel near the Colosseum then.

Thanks again!
Matías

by leics

Enjoy! :-))

PS You'll find Termini itself has been substantially cleaned up since your last visit!

by Roadquill

Matius, to get out of the budget area around Termini you need to spend a little more (it is your honeymoon right?. We liked the Hotel Lancelot by the Colosseum which you be able to get for less than the quoted 150 euro per night. Have a great time. Karl

Travel Tips for Rome

zoo

by lostaussie

in the borghese gardens. the whole gardens are a really nice place to do something stupid like hire a 4-wheeled bicycle to cruise around. a tip- if you go down a hill, you have to get back up and these things dont go uphill as easily as one may think.

A View From The Visitors End - Olympic Stadium

by cheekymarieh

I went to watch Middlesbrough play AS Roma. Middlesbrough may have lost 2-1 on the evening but we qualified for the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup on away goals thanks to a goal on the evening by Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Despite all the intimidation and 'dirty tricks' we faced, still the team qualified.

The Olympic Stadium in Rome sounds grand doesn't it? The photos that I took of it make it look impressive too, but there are no close ups. I have never been to such a dirty stadium (and there are probably about 80 to choose from).( In Ostrava we dared actually sit on our seat out in the open, they managed to keep them clean.) The Olympic Stadium has a roof covering the stadium. I don't know if the visitors area had ever seen a cleaner! My friend bravely visited the toilet and immediately regretted it. It was worse than the Old Wembley stadium ... and they have knocked that down and rebuilt it!

But police who don't have a clue spoilt the day though. Two and a half hours sat on a coach waiting to go to the stadium ... and because of their ineptness we missed the first 7 minutes. To add insult to injury, it was one hour and thirty five minutes after the game finished before they let us out of the stadium. There are now two football grounds that I will never return to - Stamford Bridge (even if I was tempted to go back on my word there the prices would put me off these days) and now the Olympic Stadium. Take something to clean your seat with. The Stadium was built in 1930 and the seats don't seem to have been cleaned since then.

Also take some comfortable shoes so that you can stand for the whole match.

Great shopping by Campo de Fiori

by monica71 about Large number of tiny shops on Via dei Giubonarri

For a different kind of shopping experience, you should head to Via dei Giubonarri, right off Campo de Fiori. There are lots of tiny shops here that sell very nice clothing. You will find very cool and different designs and the quality is not bad at all. There are also classic design clothes that you can buy if you want. I got a very nice merino wool jacket and an angora sweater at much cheaper prices that I could ever get in any department store in Chicago. The design on them is very different than what I can find here, so this makes the purchase even more valuable :)

Restaurant Near the Pantheon

by mpileggi about Trattoria Da Armando al Pantheon

Dinner my first night was at Armando al Pantheon, located only a few steps from the Pantheon.  I had emailed the restaurant before leaving the US. I received confirmation of my reservations the next day. I had a good meal there: Verdi antipasti (mixed grilled vegetables consisting of zucchini, green beans, onions, red bell peppers) followed by roast lamb chops and potatoes; Vin santo and biscotti for dessert. Total 41 euros. I felt very comfortable dining alone (as well as walking alone in Rome at night), as the waiter took good care of me. I enjoyed walking around at night seeing the Trevi fountain lit up, while crowds of people tossed their coins into the fountain.

La Dolce Roma...

by janchan about La Dolce Roma

La Dolce Roma... well... that's not a restaurant, but a sweet shop... and I think it is one of the best ones in the capital !!! If you like chocolate, try the 'Sacher torte'... it's from Austria... but here they make it fantastic !!

Comments