Italyrents Valeri

Booking.com Expedia.com Venere.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 10% higher than other 3 star hotels

More about Rome

The richly frescoed ceilingThe richly frescoed ceiling

Tomb of Vittorio Emanuele IITomb of Vittorio Emanuele II

My wife and I in Campo dei FioreMy wife and I in Campo dei Fiore

looking westlooking west

current guide book

Hi again!

Any suggestions for the best guidebook with the most up to date information?

Thanks.

by leics

Thre are hundreds, of course. So this is my personal preference only.

I like the Rough Guides, because they a) don't assume I have lots of money b) tell me some of the history (modern as well as ancient) of where I am visiting c) tell me about off-the-beaten path things to see d) aren't expensive or especially heavy (my Lonely Planet guide is glossy, and much heavier to carry around). They also detail days out and some places to eat as well as pubs/bars/clubs etc. I don't use the latter so much, because the guides are aimed at your age group rather than mine! :-)

Their Rome guide was published in June 2007, so it's as up-to-date as you'll need. The only thing missing is the recently-introduced charge for visiting the Forum.

www.roughguides.com or look on Amazon ISBN 978-1-84353-854-7

by oslocairo

Thanks Leics for the info on the Rough Guide. I have never used that one. I have been happy in the past with the time out guides though in combination with the eywitness guides. I will check out the rough guide. It sounds good. I'm also traveling on a budget so your advise sounds like this guide will help. I also like off the beaten path places too.

I see too that you do some archaeology too. Cool. I used to do a little digging myself here in California. Believe it or not, there is some old stuff (well relativel speaking)here too (Spanish missionary period, and of course Native American).

by leics

Yes, I know a bit about US archaeology. It' a very different way of working to the UK, but we (of course) have so much more extant archaeological history. Much/most of pre-colonisation North American history has left no trace.

I think you'll really like the Rough Guides. Their maps are brilliant too: entirely indstructible and very cheap.

Enjoy Rome......but forget the scooter!

by sunnybunnych

i have Rough guides, but i prefer Rick Steves'. it is very budget friendly, also he has recommended walking guides for the days you are there. there is a 2008 version.

Thansk Sunnybunnych!

I always enjoy rick Steves's televsion shows, but have never bought a book. As I remember, I think he reccommended renting a scooter for Rome on his show as well. Is that a good idea? or even a bicycle?

by DAO

You can also use the Custom Travel Guide feature here on VT! Just find a tip, say on a museum, and you hit the 'save' button. Create a file and then print it off like a guide book. Easy! You know know what times the place is open, what it looks like and you decide what's in your new 'Guidebook'.

Thanks Dao.

I agree. I already use that feature of VT and really enjoy it. IT helps to get so much good and current information from all of you.

Travel Tips for Rome

Electrical use in Italy

by icunme

The electrical voltage in Italy is 220 - in the U.S. it is 110 - the plugs are different also. Your PC is easily adaptable and the new universal batter charger has a range from 100 - 240 voltage. Your hair dryer is NOT adaptable. An adapter changes only the plug and permits the device to be connected to the Italian outlet - if the voltage is not correct, the device will burn out. A voltage converter is a large, heavy apparatus that no one should carry with them on their vacation - buy a small portable hair dryer here or know that most hotels supply them. For more detailed info, do review this page:

Vatican Post Office

by nicolettart

I thought it might be a good idea to mail postcards home postmarked from Vatican City. I am not a stamp collector or anything, but I think stamps are a cool souvenir, as opposed to some of the corny items you see in the tourist trap shops in Rome. The nun working in the post office was so delightful, chatting away with us and offering helpful tips. When you go stop and say hi to her!

Civitavecchia, Italy to Fiumicino Air Port

by Rome2008

Safe and reliable way to get to the ship if going on a cruise is by avoiding the trains that limit passengers with luggages, and sometimes on strike, or
too crowded....is to contact a good car service: www.romelimousinebyjohn.com
found in google.com or yahoo.com
Expect the personal limousine service reliable with Mercedes: 2 px for E 130,
4 px for E 160, and 6 px for E 180, and 8 px for E 200 for top rated new limo
vans and sedans registered to enter port security to drop off clients at the
ship no no drag drag of bags along the hot roads of Italy, Civitavecchia.

Cosy Inn in Trastevere

by sandysmith about Antica Osteria Rugantino

An Osteria is a local neighbourhood Inn serving good roman cusine in plentiful proportions. We came across this one in Trastevere and enjoyed it so much we came back most nights. Well we always seemed to end up on this side of the Tiber in the evenings and there was a handy bus stop just nearby to get us back to our hotel.

The Mouth of Truth

by Kikitriky

Hey men, enjoy the visit with your beloved ones! To the left of the very entrance of the church Santa Maria in Cosmedin you can check whether your lover's heart belongs only to you. Just ask her to put her hand in tne mouth of Neptune and if he doesn't bite it off - sleep tight! If the mouth bites the hand off that would mean that your lady was unfaithful to you. No joke - it is a local superstition dating back from Antiquity. Such a pity it only checks woman's faithfulness, not man's... Another legend says that any liar would lose his hand, but I like the first story more!

Comments