Karolstay B&B

Satisfaction Average

More about Rome

Trastevere RestaurantsTrastevere Restaurants

Obelisk in Center of Piazza del PopoloObelisk in Center of Piazza del Popolo

Lupa Capitolina,Palazzo Nuovo, Roma, May 2007Lupa Capitolina,Palazzo Nuovo, Roma, May 2007

San Paolo - Ceiling of transept.San Paolo - Ceiling of transept.

Three weeks in Rome -- one question

by johnandphoebe

The Bride and I will be in Rome for three weeks starting mid Sept. We wish to stay in one place near enough to The Centro Storico to walk (safely)in 15 minutes OR on a public transport line which will get us there in 15 minutes. Inside the area would be great but I expect that the tariff would be a little steep. Elevator not required, ensuite is. We're retired and on limited income but don't need to be pampered. With the US Dollar bruised and battered we do try to stretch the buck as far as we can.

The question: Anyone now of a small hotel or pensione that (based on experience) fits the bill?

by leics

Actually, there are lots of reasonably-priced places to stay within and near to the Centro Storico, and central Rome itself is very, very walkable. It also has a brilliant and cheap public transport system (bus/tram/Metro).

I stayed at www.domushotel.com the last time I visited. I consider it to be a real 'find' for central Rome: quiet, reasonably-priced and pristine en-suite rooms, pleasant and helpful staff. About 15/20 minutes walk from the Colosseum/Forum area and very convenient for Termini station, Metro and bus station.

Check out www.venere.com This is a reliable site used by many VT-ers which lists all Rome accommodation. It has honest guest reviews and good location maps. www.booking.com is also reliable, in my experience, but Venere has the edge when it somes to information/reviews for Rome.

by tango_jd

We stayed at the hotel Columbia near the Opera house.
Via del Viminale,15
Rome 00184, Italy

It was superb (a 3*), in a convenient location for the station (not far to carry a suitcase), in a quiet road, near Via Nazional and down to the central sights, Trevi Fountain etc etc.
The room was beautifully furnished, breakfasts were excellent, and the staff very attentive.

This is worth considering along with the many other recommendations you are bound to hear about!

by GuitarStan

I would suggest to stay in an apartment/flat. You will save much money over a b&b or hotel. A flat usually has a small kitchen where you can eat in if you like and save more. Their are many sites on the internet that will help you choose. My wife and I did exactly this on our 6 night stay in Rome. I have used www.vrbo.com many times stateside and on our visit to Rome...with no problem. The unit we rented was #22504, very close to a bus stop, Campo de Fiori and family run stores. This unit is ideally located, you can walk to all the major historic sites, except perhaps The Vatican. The unit does have a bedroom up a narrow spiral stairs but, that's part of the beauty! I will stay here on my next visit to The Eternal City. We paid 75 euro/night about 3 years ago. The owner, Sergio, is very accomodating. He may even deal with you for a 3 week stay. If you have any questions/concerns feel free to e-mail me. You are so gonna love your trip to Rome... I am jealous! Unit does have AC, but we were there in Sept. and never needed it.

by johnandphoebe

Thanks a lot, folks. This is a good group -- the VTers are VERY helpful.

At your suggestion we have booked an apartment. It's a block from the Metro line and in a residential area. Seems to be the best of all worlds. The rent is very reasonable -- way below what we would pay for a comparable hotel or B & B room.

Thanks for your help, VTers.

John Martin

Travel Tips for Rome

Good food at decent prices is all over town

by monica71

Before our trip to Rome we were pretty nervous about finding good places to eat at that serve good food at decent prices. You really do not need to worry about this at all. All the restaurants in Rome offer a special menu for tourists. You will see the menu displayed in front of the restaurant or in the restaurant window. The prices start at about 6 Euros per person. For 15 Euros per person, for example, you will get a lot of food and also a glass of wine. All you really need to do decide which restaurant to go to.

The Old Theater

by TinKan

There is an old theater near the river that is said to be one of the most complete ruins of it's type.

There was a lot of construction and restoration going on when we were there but we were able to walk around it and see most of it.

Check my Travel Log for more pictures of the theater.

Dance 'till the early Morn'!!!

by Marilyn18 about Grotta Pinta

Nice blue and white interior, matched with the "antique" brickwork.

Nearly no Italians, because you have to be an international student to be allowed inside.

Live DJs everynight, Saturdays: Matt D.

Music: Rap, Hip-Hop, Reggae, R'N'B, occasionally also 60s/70s or Latin

Drinks cost about 5€, but there's hardly anything in them, so better go and have a drink before you go dancing.

Entrance fee: 10€ for a membership (which lasts for one year) or 10€ for entrance and a free drink. If you're planing to go there twice, I'd recommend the membership.

There are seperate toilets: the ladies has an additional room where you're able to discuss the guys... :-) or fix your makeup (big mirrors!) None, most people who go here dress casual or a little rapper-influenced

The best steak house

by Niceday555 about iVitelloni

The staff made us free very welcome and spent time explaining their menu. The starters were a range of cheeses, meats, breads and salad, all of which were excellent. For my main course I had a fillet steak which was the best of my life!!!

Just go for a walk

by imlikeabird

There are a million things to see in Rome, and my favorite of them, and what I remember most, was going for fabulous walks in town. There is something beautiful to see around every corner. It's beautiful, and you can always sit somewhere and have a coffee or gelato. There's nothing more beautiful than Rome.

Comments