La Casa di Maurizio Bed & Breakfast

Via Sicilia 153, Rome, 00187, Italy
La Casa di Maurizio Bed & Breakfast
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Rome

Note that domenica is sacredNote that domenica is sacred

Dome by Pietro da CortonaDome by Pietro da Cortona

Fountain, Via GiuliaFountain, Via Giulia

San Carlo - façadeSan Carlo - façade

Language Exchange

by ChiTraveler

I will be arriving in Rome Feb 14 and remaining in Italy until Feb 21st. I will be in Rome for a few days during the week. Although I lived in Milan from 2003-2005, I have since lost much of my Italian language skills. I'd love the opportunity to meet with a local for conversation and language exchange if interested.

Fammi sapere!

A presto!

Dana

by Maurizioago

Who knows? I'm going somewhere from february 15. Perhaps I will visit Rome again. If so I will contact you.

Ciao!

by Aloe9678

I just read in something (I'm sorry I don't remember which magazine) that a few speed-language events have been started in Rome, held in bars in a similar format to speed dating - one group of people stays at their table, another rotates around and at each table you speak English for a determined amount of time, and then Italian for the same amount. I'd imagine there may be information in the paper or at tourism booths when you arrive.

by bekerovka

hy, Dana
unfortunately I'll be in Rome for work three days around 16 Feb. I'll sleep in the Army guesthouse near Via XX Settembre (our "pentagon", close downtown). I'd like a language exchange with an American because I had many doubts about my english after speaking with Australian guys in Prague:)
If you want send my a VT-mail
Ciao, Marco

Travel Tips for Rome

You must visit the Colosseum...

by Aragu

You must visit the Colosseum and Forum. Take a tour of the Forum if possible. We stumbled onto a free English tour. This provides a great history lesson and makes what you are seeing come alive! The gelato! Stop by a Blue Ice gelato shop and try as many flavors as possible. Some of the shops are located at: Via delle Muratte, 18 (near Trevi Fountain), Via dei Baullari, 141 (Campo de'Fiori), and Via Gaicomo Bove, 28 (Piramide).

What? A witch visits Italy on Christmas!?

by icunme

We like Santa - but we wait for the Befana - or if we have not been that good, we don't anticipate her arrival on the Eve of Epiphany January 5th, or the morning of January 6th. She is a witch-like character who rides around on a broom. The legend is that the Three Wise Men, I re magi, stopped at Befana's hut to ask directions on their way to Bethlehem and asked her to join them.
She said no, she was too busy. Later a shepherd asked her to join him in
paying respect to the Baby Jesus. Again, Befana said no. Later when it
was dark, she saw a great light in the sky and she thought maybe
she should have gone with the Wise Men. So, she gathered some toys
that had belonged to her own baby, who had died, and ran to find the
kings and the shepherd. But Befana could not find them or the stable.
Now, each year she looks for the Christ Child. And each year since
she can not find him, she leaves the gifts for the good children of Italy
and pieces of charcoal for the bad ones.....

Paintings

by TinKan about Street vendors

While walking around Rome you will find many shops that offer fine works of art. We were able to pick up a few paintings for alot less money than we would have paid at home.

We purchased many that did not have frames so they were able to roll them up and put them in tubes so they would fit in the suitcase and did not get dammaged on the flight home.

Some of the art work is UGLY but there are many beautiful one to be had... you just need to keep on looking.

Bussing it!

by Jenniflower

We never caught a bus there, but saw them go by, and noticed It's pretty overcrowded, with everybody having to stand. We thought it better just to walk.

There are plenty of bus routes, and the city is pretty well covered, but it is a shame that when your bus arrives, it will be so cramped that you will be forced to stand sandwiched among forty (or more!) others.

We are pretty used to this on many of London’s buses too, so this is not unique to Rome. This just boils down to too few buses in service per route I think. At least the service is cheap in Rome, in London it aint!

Gourmet Magazine Hates Me

by OnTheRoadGoombah about Trattoria di Antonio Bassetti

This hidden restaurant in the heart of Rome is/was my favorite restaurant in the world. I have visited here 18 times since 1993 and each time was greeted with a smile and great service from a wonderful staff..the best "peasant food" in all of Rome and the best feel for what Italy and Rome is all about. This was a restaurant that was always filled with local Italians, no tourists whatsoever...and then Gourmet Magazine rated it as a hidden find in Rome. Last Monday, I went back and the place was teeming with tourists...I wanted to cry! My little hidden gem was hidden no more. The food was still great, the prices the best in town, but I only hope it stays that way.

Antonio uses fresh ingredients, makes homemade dishes, and doesn't garnish the plate with drizzle. It really is like eating at my grandmother's everytime I go there...just don't tell my grandmother.

***2 Feb 08 Update: Antonio Bassetti's is still as great as ever...hopefully when tourist season rolls around, it will remain so!***** I have never had a bad meal at Antonio's.

Comments