La Griffe Hotel

La Griffe Roma MGallery Collection
Hotels.com MGallery Venere.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about La Griffe Hotel

Nothing but grief from la griffe

by TripAdvisor Member barndoors

In March, 2006, we prepaid for our June 29th stay at La Griffe . Yet, when we arrrived at the hotel, where we were to meet friends who were already there, we were told that there were no rooms for us. The stated reason for this was "problem with the rooms." This translates from italian into english as "We overbooked--tough luck for you!" The hotel staff informed us that they had made arrangements with a comparable hotel "five minutes walk away." When we arrived at the other hotel, we found that 1. La Griffe had NOT contacted them and they were not expecting us and 2. It was a run down hotel and was NOT comparable. In fact, the price for that hotel was approximately 30 Euros less than La Griffe, but we were not compensated in any way.

Do yourslef a favor and book elsewhere, as you will end up elsewhere anyway! When I logged on to tripadvisor to write this review, I browsed some others and saw a pattern!

Michelle-- Ardsley, NY

BE WARNED! Confirming the reservation doesn't guarantee your booking!

by TripAdvisor Member Chicago28

My husband and I stayed at La Griffe for 4 days just last week. While the hotel itself is very nice, BE WARNED about their overbooking policy. My family, including a baby, had booked two rooms months in advance and were to arrive 3 days after us. Seeing as I was aready staying at the hotel I checked twice at the front desk about their reservations. Both times I was assured that everything would be fine. The same day I was told this, my family arrived and were told that a large tour group of 50 people had decided to arrive and so all new guests for that weekend would be relocated to another hotel. The hotel gives priority to tour groups over individuals even if the tour group had not booked in advance (which shocked us). My family were sent 20 minutes away to a lesser quality hotel, not provided with facilities for the baby which they had pre arranged with La Griffe and ended up having to carry a push chair up and down the metro steps to get to any of the sights in Rome. The La Griffe is in a great location but their new hotel was much further away. The staff at La Griffe said this was an emergency and that it nevers happens. Yet, if you look at the other reviews in this web site, it is obvious that it does happen. We were just appalled that a hotel would treat paying guests in this manner. If you don't mind where you stay then booking at La Griffe is fine. However, if you book there for the location then BE WARNED that this appears to be a common tactic they employ and you may be sent to another hotel which is not able to fill all its rooms. EVEN IF YOU CONFIRM MULTIPLE TIMES, they can still do this. We confirmed via email and face to face TWICE and still my family were relocated. It's shocking that they can do this to so many guests!

Don't bother

by TripAdvisor Member Bogiboy

I know so many other people have written the same thing but this time it happened to ME so I have to say it.

My family and I arrived with a reservation we had made 2 months earlier. The receptionist told us that they had no room for us because of a booking problem.

Let me just say, THIS SOUNDED VERY REHEARSED.

So they took us to another hotel which was in a worse area and not as good.
That's it.

I should have read the reviews of La Grife before booking.
Final advice - believe the reviews and go somewhere else.

Hotel and Rome Visit

by TripAdvisor Member YairAlon

Date: Oct 1, 2006

We are family of 4 and we booked two rooms for 4 nights on the internet using Orbitz.com. We were concerned because of some of the bad reviews regarding over booking. So we connected the hotel via e-mail ([--]) and we got response from Marina Saijai confirm our booking. Later, we keep talking with this great lady that gave us good advices and even arrange our pickup from the cruise ship (not cheap, 50 EU per person, but very convenient).
Our experience with the hotel is very positive. The rooms are nice and very clean. The hotel was remodelled last year to futuristic type, with large TV, very good AC, and big bath. Out kids room had only shower. The breakfast is American buffet served in nice room and is included. The 10 floor terrace restaurant has great view but we did not eat there (seem to be on the high price). The 9 floor Jacuzzi is not functioning. The staff, front desk and doorman, were very nice polite and very helpful. Toward the end of the trip our transportation to the airport arrives late with broken car (doors never opened) the hotel front desk lady jumped immediately and organized for us alternative transportation within minutes. Room are cleaned two or three times a day (not sure, every time we use it, it was cleaned after us). Our room was at the back, so we have view of a wall, but it was very quiet at night. The kid’s room was facing La Nazional Street, so it has a view but has also noise from the street. Go for the non view back rooms if you can.
We got from the doorman two restaurants recommendation, one is around the corner, and it was great, and the other, TriTone was terrible (don’t go there, overprices and they try to cheat on the bill). We also went to La Carbonera (spelling?) restaurant (five minutes from the hotel toward the Coliseum). It is great place, wonderful food and not expensive, highly recommended
The location of the hotel is great. Walking distance from all major attractions (except maybe the Vatican) and very conveniently located. Marina suggested that we take the open deck buss to the Vatican and do the tour on our own. Instead we used the Viator.com site and booked a tour from them (about $50 per person). They pick us from the hotel and we have sort of OK experience. We had to stay in the line as everyone else and the tour guide mislead us toward the end and put us in purpose at the far end of the room we wanted to visit. If you don’t mind the guide tour talk, you do better by going on your own.
When visiting the Coliseum avoid the people that try to put you in their tours. Lines are not very long and the audio you rent for 4.5 EU each, is very good.
Just to summarized, we love the hotel and we enjoy staying there. Not sure why some people has such bad experience. May be it is good idea to contact the hotel and to reconfirm the reservation.
Yair Alon,
Los Angeles California

Very Enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member dangalin

We stayed for three nights at the start of September this year. I was very apprehensive having read some of the reviews posted here. However, when we arrived, the desk staff we extremely helpful and suggested where to eat and what to see. The rooms were a bit smallish but very presentable and well equipped. We dined one night on the terrace on top of the hotel, I would not recommend this, it was vastly overpriced for what we received ( one exception being the spaghetti with mussels, simply divine). I thoroughly recommend it and would not hesitate to return.

Comments